Help Meeeee!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Help Meeeee!

Postby KBMaster » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:40 am

Now that my title has caught your attention, I would like to ask for reccomendations for a book. Or ten books, it doesn't matter. I read three novels in one week last week and didn't give myself enough space in between. Therefore I have run out of books to read. I will take any recommendations, although I prefer books without language. Like... no worse than Harry Potter's language.

Some of my favorite authors are Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Eric Christian Haugaard, Thomas Kinkade, Dianna Wynne Jones, and the like.

Thanks so much in advance!
KBMaster

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:34 pm

*Rumpole And The Reign Of Terror by John Mortimer
*Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer
*A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
*The Innocent's Abroad by Mark Twain
*The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn by Mark Twain
*The Complete Short Stories Of O.Henry
*The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway
*The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
*Gods And Generals by Jeffrey M. Shaara
*Gettysburg by Jeffrey M. Shaara
*Man At Arms by Terry Pratchett
*Guards!Guards! by Terry Pratchett
*Tales of Mystery by Edgar Allen Poe
mitsuki lover

Postby KBMaster » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:26 am

mitsuki lover wrote:*Rumpole And The Reign Of Terror by John Mortimer
*Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer
*A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
*The Innocent's Abroad by Mark Twain
*The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn by Mark Twain
*The Complete Short Stories Of O.Henry
*The Old Man And The Sea by Ernest Hemingway
*The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
*Gods And Generals by Jeffrey M. Shaara
*Gettysburg by Jeffrey M. Shaara
*Man At Arms by Terry Pratchett
*Guards!Guards! by Terry Pratchett
*Tales of Mystery by Edgar Allen Poe

*hides* I should also mention I have a very strong aversion to English Literature. But thank you for the list, ML!
KBMaster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:46 pm

My favorite playwright is The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. I recommend it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:22 pm

KBMaster wrote:Some of my favorite authors are Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Eric Christian Haugaard, Thomas Kinkade, Dianna Wynne Jones, and the like.

Thanks so much in advance!

I had no idea Thomas Kinkade wrote.

The Hobbit (Tolkien)is amusing and wouldn't take you long, but I guess it is English.

I would recommend Book of the Dun Cow, by Walter Wangerin Jr. to you. It is kind of the classic battle of good vs. evil, set though in a barnyard. There are lots of spiritual themes in the work, and it isn't a bit cheesy. I read it in two days.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Sai » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Well I recently picked up some Agatha Christie (poirot) novels and found them fairly entertaining. Hummmmm... I guess one of my favorite younger people books is Swiss Family Robinson if you are looking for an easy read. Oh and the G.A. Henty books are pretty decent. They have a slow start but are pretty interesting when you get to the mid section. I have never read anything by your favorite authors so hopefully these might fit your tastes...
"Bother"
Sai

Postby KBMaster » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:I had no idea Thomas Kinkade wrote.

The Hobbit (Tolkien)is amusing and wouldn't take you long, but I guess it is English.

I would recommend Book of the Dun Cow, by Walter Wangerin Jr. to you. It is kind of the classic battle of good vs. evil, set though in a barnyard. There are lots of spiritual themes in the work, and it isn't a bit cheesy. I read it in two days.

I've already read the hobbit. That was funny and a fairly easy read. I just finished English Literature for school an realized what an abhorrence I held for it. Especially authors like Shakespeare. Basically I don't want to read it with a dictionary next to me.

Book of the Dun Cow... never heard of it. I'll have to see if my library carries it. Sounds kind of like Animal Farm.

Sai wrote:Well I recently picked up some Agatha Christie (poirot) novels and found them fairly entertaining. Hummmmm... I guess one of my favorite younger people books is Swiss Family Robinson if you are looking for an easy read. Oh and the G.A. Henty books are pretty decent. They have a slow start but are pretty interesting when you get to the mid section. I have never read anything by your favorite authors so hopefully these might fit your tastes...

I've heard the Agatha Christie novels are good so I will have to check those out. Thanks!
KBMaster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:26 pm

I suggest three books--The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger (it's a trilogy). Written by Lois Lowry, I found them incredibly intriguing and was able to plow through the first two in one day (one day per book, that is. XD). Anyways, they're all really good books, and I highly suggest them. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Read The Illiad, The Odyssey, and Dante's Inferno.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Alice » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:58 pm

A book a bit like Dianna Wynne Jones is "Mairelon the Magician" by Patricia C. Wrede.

I read it recently and enjoyed it. It's pretty good, if you don't mind some magic, and the last 1/3 is really, really funny, IMO.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Susan Cooper's "Dark is Rising" series,
Terry Brooks' "Sword of Shannara" series,
Terry Brooks' "Magical Kingdom For Sale, Sold" series,
C. J. Cherryh's "Pride of Chanur" series (could be iffy, can't remember),
Nicolo Machiavelli's "The Prince" (not a novel, but cool).

These should be okay, but when I read I only remember the good stuff... :sweat:
Anyways, I'm confident about the first one.

EDIT: I haven't read
Alice wrote:"Mairelon the Magician" by Patricia C. Wrede.
but Patricia C. Wrede is an awesome author.
Also try her "Enchanted Forest Chronicles" series. In fact, that one get's my highest recommendation.
Valkaiser

Postby Icarus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Since others have recommended fantasy, I'll toss in one of my favorite series: The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Series of Unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket is a great series, and Eli by Bill Meyers is probably one of my favorite books of all time.
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Maledicte » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 am

Alice wrote:A book a bit like Dianna Wynne Jones is "Mairelon the Magician" by Patricia C. Wrede.

I read it recently and enjoyed it. It's pretty good, if you don't mind some magic, and the last 1/3 is really, really funny, IMO.

Oh wow, I love that book!

Patricia C. Wrede also wrote the lovely Enchanted Forest Chronicles, starting with "Dealing with Dragons." Very funny and sweet fantasy parodies.

You might also like Vivian Vande Velde's writings, very offbeat fantasy. Also, try Susan Fletcher's Dragon Chronicles.

I highly recommend "In a Dark Wood" by Michael Cadnum. It's a retelling of the Robin Hood legend, from the Sheriff of Nottingham's perspective. Very enjoyable and insightful.
Maledicte

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:Read The Illiad, The Odyssey, and Dante's Inferno.

Stopping with the Inferno is a sin! A sin, I say! Why subject yourself to hell alone, and leave heaven waiting?

Read the whole Divine Comedy... Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso... the way Dante would have wanted. It will take longer, and Purgatory and Paradise are more complex then Hell is, but it is SO worth it.

*This has been a message from a Dante-obsessed college student who used to read at least a Canto of the Comedy every day... but is abstaining from reading it during Lent. Have a nice day.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Return to Book Corner