[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Castle in the Air - A sequel to Howl's Moving Castle - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Castle in the Air - A sequel to Howl's Moving Castle

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Castle in the Air - A sequel to Howl's Moving Castle

Postby KBMaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm

I loved this book. It wasn't as good as the first book, granted, but it was still an enjoyable read. Abdullah is a very interesting character, much different than your typical hero.

My favorite part in the entire book is when Howl says
[SPOILER]"My word, he's ugly! Chip off the old block!" about his baby. ROFL.[/SPOILER]

Did anyone else read it? If so, what did you think of it?
KBMaster

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:44 pm

I have read it... but it was ages and ages ago. I read quite a few of the books by Dianne Wynne Jones (that was the author's name, wasn't it?). I do remember I enjoyed it, but I liked the first book more (so I was excited that it was made into an anime movie).

How did you like the book?
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Taliesin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:05 pm

I didn't know that Howl's Moving Castle had a sequel. I'll have to check that out. Howl's moving castle is one of my favorite books ever. I love how crabby Sophie gets
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the book that inspired - Laputa: Castle in the Sky. But I'm not sure. Haven't read it yet.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KBMaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the book that inspired - Laputa: Castle in the Sky. But I'm not sure. Haven't read it yet.

Highly doubtful. The stories are VERY different. The only similarity that I can think of is that the main character is a young boy, and there's a casttle in the air.
KBMaster

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Castle in the Sky was inspired by the works of Jules Verne and Gulliver's Travels. The Castle in the Sky movie predates Castle in the Air by almost five years.
bigsleepj

Postby Alice » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm

I read the first one, but somehow didn't get into this. Maybe I'll try again someday. ^^
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:26 pm

i read howl's moving castle but i didn't really like it...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:32 pm

KBMaster wrote:I loved this book. It wasn't as good as the first book, granted, but it was still an enjoyable read.

I read it and loved it, but yeah not as much as the first one. Although there are parts of it that are very funny. Like when Abdullah figures out he is at the bottom of the pecking order (below the kitten) :lol: ;)

I've read a lot of Dianne Wynne Jones but personally I think the Howl books are at the top in terms of my favorites. Her other books usually present more questionable religious material, and aren't always as funny (at least in my opinion). But yeah, if you liked Howl's Moving Castle definately check out Castle in the Air! :thumb:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Book Corner