The Ender Series

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Ender Series

Postby Taliesin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:37 am

did anyone out there read the ender series? I personally liked the mini-series about bean better than the books about Ender. I kinda found Children of the Mind and Xenocide to be over philosophical and dull. Bean is so much cooler than Ender. :thumb: :thumbsup:
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm

My friend got me to read Ender's Game, but I didn't like it so I haven't read anything else by Card. ^^;; Are the other books in the series better? Should I try out the Bean books?
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Taliesin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:16 pm

yes! read Ender's Shadow!
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Ender's Game is one of my all time favorite books, and I enjoyed the rest of the series quite a bit.

Philotes are such a fascinating idea. If quantum mechanics is right and the universe is essentially granular, there would almost have to be such a thing. I doubt what scientists come up with will dovetail so nicely with religion (Hindu, animist or otherwise) but it's an intriguing concept nonetheless.

The Shadow series was certainly more action-oriented, but it was philosophical in its own way. The conflict between altruism and pragmatism embodied by Bean and those around him was especially prominent in the first volume, but it never truly retreats, even when the plotting gets a little ridiculous.

What I liked best, though, was the vivid portrayal of a universe in which Christianity and faith still thrive, despite secular and scientific opposition even stronger than that in our own day. It's not so much a model of what we should strive for as it is an acknowledgment of the difficulties we face and the intellectual and spiritual challenges that confront us.
Cap'n Nick

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 pm

i read Ender's Game but that's the only one i've read of the series. i plan to read Ender's Shadow later on but i'm busy reading The Princess Bride and The Thief right now...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:18 pm

You're actually reading The Thief?? *excited*

Erm. *gets out of fangirl mode*

Maybe I would like Ender's Shadow better. Maybe I would like Ender's Game better now if I read it, I don't know. XD
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Just remember, the enemy gate is down.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 pm

I've been thinking of "getting into" this series for a long time; that is, to start reading it. Where would be a good book to start reading?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby soul alive » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:34 pm

bigsleepj - I'd probably start with Ender's Game, and then Ender's Shadow.

I really enjoyed Ender's Game. I've read through the Ender arc twice, and the Shadow arc once. I loved the first book, but found the rest of the Ender arc a bit dry and slow; I did like Children of the Mind though, it was a bit faster paced than the others. I liked all of the Shadow arc books.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 pm

I've heard about the series many times before. Is it an American classic or something (I've never heard anyone mention it here in Aus).

Is it any good?
Might be worth a look.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 pm

soul alive wrote:bigsleepj - I'd probably start with Ender's Game, and then Ender's Shadow.

Thank you very much. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby soul alive » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:57 pm

Orson Scott Card is a pretty big name in the American Sci-Fi scene. He's written a few other series: Tales of Alvin Maker, Women of Genesis, Homecoming, as well as a few individual novels, but the Ender series is probably what he's known most for. I'd recommend reading Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow for sure. The rest of two arcs are good, but if you want a sampling, try the first two (chronologically speaking).
I've read 3 of the Women of Genesis series, and they're pretty good - they take an in-depth look at Sarah, Rebekkah, Rachel and Leah; there is a teeny bit of wierd theology, since Card is Mormon, but it didn't bother me much. I've also read 2 or 3 books of the Homecoming series, and they're pretty good as well.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Return to Book Corner