The Princess Bride (discussion)

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Princess Bride (discussion)

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:00 pm

i am currently reading this wonderful novel of fencing, fighting, true love, strong hate, harsh revenge, a few giants, lots of bad men, lots of good men, five or six beautiful women, beasties monstrous and gentle, some swell escapes and captures, death, lies, truth, and miracles. i am almost finished with the novel and i decided that it would be cool to start a thread on the book. anyways, i also had a quick question...
[spoiler]why did Prince Humperdinck hire fezzik, vizzini, and inigo to kill Buttercup if he was going to marry her?[/spoiler]

anyways, i hope this thread goes well...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:26 pm

jon_jinn wrote:[spoiler]why did Prince Humperdinck hire fezzik, vizzini, and inigo to kill Buttercup if he was going to marry her?[/spoiler]

[SPOILER]The whole point of his actions is to start a war with Guilder. He wants Vizzini and the others to kidnap her, but make it seem like Guilder's men kidnapped/killed her. Basically, he wants to start a war with Guilder but has no real reason for it, so he's trying to make up a fake one. Remember the line from the movie, if you've seen it:

"You know how I love to watch you work, but I've got my country's 100th anniversary to plan, my wedding to plan, my wife to murder, and Guilder to blame for it. I'm swamped!"

"Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."[/SPOILER]

Hopefully that helped, if it didn't confuse you. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Taliesin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Whee! I loved that book. I wish he had actually published the sequel. You know the chapter at the back that is supposedly from the next book. that would have been totally spiffed
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:[SPOILER]The whole point of his actions is to start a war with Guilder. He wants Vizzini and the others to kidnap her, but make it seem like Guilder's men kidnapped/killed her. Basically, he wants to start a war with Guilder but has no real reason for it, so he's trying to make up a fake one. Remember the line from the movie, if you've seen it:

"You know how I love to watch you work, but I've got my country's 100th anniversary to plan, my wedding to plan, my wife to murder, and Guilder to blame for it. I'm swamped!"

"Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."[/SPOILER]

Hopefully that helped, if it didn't confuse you. XD

oh, i understand now why he's trying to kill her. but then

[spoiler]isn't Humperdinck trying to marry Buttercup so that he can bear a successor to take over the throne when he dies?[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Puguni » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:06 pm

I especially liked the author's little inserts. They were hilarious. XD
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Erm...you do realize that the whole book is a satire on fantasy novels?
mitsuki lover

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:14 pm

jon_jinn wrote:oh, i understand now why he's trying to kill her. but then

[spoiler]isn't Humperdinck trying to marry Buttercup so that he can bear a successor to take over the throne when he dies?[/spoiler]

Humperdinck isn't too preoccupied with anything other than Humperdinck.

And the book is brilliant. Satire is tasty when it's done right.
Fish and Chips

Postby Evangeline-San » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:27 pm

I loved the book and I loved the movie!
It's such a great comedy! ^_^
~And we know that all things work together for good, to those who love God, and to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
~*`*`*`*`*`*~
It's tough being a girl... In a pink world.
-me
~~~
~I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13
"I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak. There ain't no disguising the truth!"
Evangeline-San

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Stop that rhyming! And, I mean it!

Anybody want a peanut?
Mr. Rogers

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:32 pm

sldr4Christ1985 wrote:Stop that rhyming! And, I mean it!

Anybody want a peanut?

"Maybe it's just some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise in...eel invested waters..."

Although for most deviations I prefer the Princess Bride book to the film, I'd actually rather have the eels from the movie than the sharks from the book.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:37 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:"Maybe it's just some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise in...eel invested waters..."

Although for most deviations I prefer the Princess Bride book to the film, I'd actually rather have the eels from the movie than the sharks from the book.

"He's gaining on us! I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using?"

And that's my only reason for this post. So I'll just leave now. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:47 pm

hmmm...i suppose it would be possible to simply change this thread's entire reason for existence into a thread made simply for quotes for the book (or movie).

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die."

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:18 pm

[quote="jon_jinn"]hmmm...i suppose it would be possible to simply change this thread's entire reason for existence into a thread made simply for quotes for the book (or movie).

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father]
"...Mawiadge. Mawiadge is wot bwings uf togeva, today."
Fish and Chips

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:32 pm

I like the part where he explains about all of the pages he "cut out" of the princess' packing and unpacking sequences. it's a nice poke at literary historians and classic novel's length, I think.

That guy really tricked me, too. x.x;;
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:39 pm

I did enjoy the book. It was much easier to read than the unabridged version, which is cumbersome and lacks the insightful commentary of William Goldman.

Fish and Chips wrote:"...Mawiadge. Mawiadge is wot bwings uf togeva, today."

Depending on your style of humor and how tired you are at the moment, the priest can be very, very funny in different languages. Ah, the joys of DVDs. As far as other quotes go, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the battle of wits scene yet.
uc pseudonym

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:04 pm

"aaaaaaaassssssssssssssss yyyyyyyyyyooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" - wesley

"i'm not a witch, i'm your wife, but after what you just said i'm not even sure i want to be that anymore!!" - Miracle max's wife
"you never had it so good!" - miracle max

"bye bye boys!!"
"have fun stormin' the castle!!'
"think it'll work?"
"it would take a miracle, buh bye!!"
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I did enjoy the book. It was much easier to read than the unabridged version, which is cumbersome and lacks the insightful commentary of William Goldman.

Depending on your style of humor and how tired you are at the moment, the priest can be very, very funny in different languages. Ah, the joys of DVDs. As far as other quotes go, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the battle of wits scene yet.

Oh, definately. Goldman's ending is better than the original, too.

Oh, and, just for you:
"Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! MWAHAHAHAAHAHAHA---*drops dead*"
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:52 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Depending on your style of humor and how tired you are at the moment, the priest can be very, very funny in different languages. Ah, the joys of DVDs. As far as other quotes go, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the battle of wits scene yet.

Oh my. I never thought about watching it in different languages! XD That's one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie; I'll have to watch it some day. XD

As for the Battle of Wits...

"Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

"Wait 'til I get going!"

:lol:

Radical Dreamer

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 pm

Oh man, for awhile, I had the whole Battle of Wits scene memorized.
Fish and Chips

Postby Peregrine » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 pm

love love love love love that book. I saw the movie first, then read the book. It took me a while to realize there WAS no unabridged version. I loved the battle of wits, and miracle max's. I can't say I have a favorite, because there are too many. One of my favorites in the movie, though, was after they have captured Humperdink and he's been tied up. When he realizes westly is weak he says "I knew he was bluffing, I knew he was....bluffing" I replayed it over and over, laughing soooooo hard. Another one was "you fell for one of the fatal blunders! the first, is never get involved in a land war in asia, but the second, and slightly less known is never get in with a sicilian when death is on the line! muahahahahahaha! *falls over* Gosh, I love that...
Peregrine

Return to Book Corner