Most though-provoking book you ever read (don't say The Bible)

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby rsnumber2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Silence - Shusaku Endo

It really helped me understand what true sacrifice and forgiveness are. Absolutely wonderful read. It's a fictional account that takes place during the Christian persecution in Japan.
It takes bad jokes to appreciate the good ones.

rsnumber2.com - A directory of all things rsnumber2.
Goufy Shumi - People think my shumi is goufy.

Titus 2:11-14 - What I strive for.
rsnumber2

Location: As a square peg, I am currently trying to fit in a round hole.

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:19 am

Someone bought this book for me ages ago... I have no idea where it even is... Heh.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:12 am

Silence is one of the greatest books ever written. And they're makinga movie set for 2008 for it! Woohoo! :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rsnumber2 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:14 am

bigsleepj wrote:Silence is one of the greatest books ever written. And they're makinga movie set for 2008 for it! Woohoo! :grin:
Sweet! What country is it being filmed for? US/Japan/Other? Need more details!!!
:thumbsup:
It takes bad jokes to appreciate the good ones.

rsnumber2.com - A directory of all things rsnumber2.
Goufy Shumi - People think my shumi is goufy.

Titus 2:11-14 - What I strive for.
rsnumber2

Location: As a square peg, I am currently trying to fit in a round hole.

Postby Acolyte » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:16 am

Nicomachean Ethics has got to be one of them. That and Confessions.
Acolyte

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:52 pm

The South Was Right! starts by asking the legtimate question if it is right for others,e.g.the Slovenes,Croatians,Slovakians,etc.to seccede then why was it not
correct and right for the American South?It also raises the point that a lot of what we know about the Civil War is seen through the filter of New England lenses.
mitsuki lover

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:36 pm

rsnumber2 wrote:Sweet! What country is it being filmed for? US/Japan/Other? Need more details!!!
:thumbsup:

Parts (like those set in temples and Japanese villages) will be filmed in Japan, but landscape / rural scenes will be filmed in New Zealand (like Last Samurai. So far it hasn't been definitely cast yet, but it is planned for a 2008 release. The director, however, will be Martin Scorcese, director of both the recent films The Departed, The Aviator and (gulp) The Last Temptation of Christ. Take that news in any way you want.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:10 am

As I read all the other posts, I slowly came to realize just how many books I've read that have made me think. Maybe, like JasonPratt, I think too much about what I read. Here's some that I can remember off the top of my head:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
The Book Without Words by Avi
Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis (I know I didn't understand much of what he was trying to get at, but it really made me think)
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
[I can't remember the title of this one, but they made a movie out of it called I Am David]
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman (I hated hated HATED them, but reading them really got a response out of me and I think it made me stronger in my faith because of reading all these rather obvious attacks against what the Bible really teaches)
Roald Dahl's short stories (Man from the South and The Swan are two of my favorites. The Wonderful Grammatizator or whatever it's called really freaked me out.)
Garth Nix's short stories (especially Endings)
The Third Culture Kid Experience by Ruth E. Van Reken...and some other guy

And that's all I can think of for now. I won't list the obvious Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia. I think anyone who understands what Lewis is trying to say in Narnia will be led to thinking a lot, and the type of people who manage to finish Lord of the Rings are the type of people who would think seriously about it.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous

Return to Book Corner