Postby Puguni » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:40 pm

For me, it was:

Redwall
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Life of Pi
Most of the Roald Dahl books

They were just good all over. :]
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Ashley » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:45 pm

The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst, Oxygen by John B. Olson & Randall Ingermanson are the only two books I can remember reading straight through without stopping. Excellent, both of them: Dogs is about a grieving widower, Paul Iverson, who is seeking an answer to his wife's "accidental" death. Oxygen is a rare gem of Christian fiction concerning a crew of astronauts on their way to Mars when their mission is hijacked. All the great elements of humor, suspense, and sci-fi make it a great story.
Ashley

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Catch-22 and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:14 pm

The Giver and Gathering Blue were both books that I read in almost one sitting.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:18 pm

I'm not really the kind of reader who can read a whole book all at once. The only distinctive time I remember doing so was reading The Shining when I was 14. It was probably the scariest book I ever read. I couldn't tear myself away until I found out how it ended.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Rogie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:24 am

"House" by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker was enthralling from beginning to end and I couldn't put it down, but I wouldn't consider it a good book after the fact. "Velocity" by Dean Koontz, on the other hand, was a great thrill ride of a book (if not quite violent) and was very memorable.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:02 am

Just about anything written by C.S. Lewis.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:23 am

Rogie wrote:"House" by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker was enthralling from beginning to end and I couldn't put it down, but I wouldn't consider it a good book after the fact. "Velocity" by Dean Koontz, on the other hand, was a great thrill ride of a book (if not quite violent) and was very memorable.

Now that I remember, my first Dean Koontz book was 'The Face', which I was totally enthralled with from beginning to end.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:08 am

Oh man. I loooooove Roald Dahl. I totally grew up reading Matilda. :lol:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:31 am

any of the warriors series. i read each book in either a day, or two.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:07 pm

For me, having to focus to put down a book isn't necessarily a good test of how good it is. In fact, there are some books I love because they make me want to put them down and digest what I've just read.

However, there are only two authors who have written anything I have difficulty putting down. They are Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. You'll note that both are humor writers. For me it is very easy to read "just one more" segment for several times.
uc pseudonym

Postby narutofreak » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:49 pm

Legends of the Guardian King by: Karen Hancock, Harry Potter,LOTRS, Anne mccaffrey, and neil gaiman
narutofreak

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:52 pm

The Face by Dean Koontz
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Aileen Kailum » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:14 am

Oh, boy. Where to start...

Any of the Redwall books by Brian Jaques
The Oath, The Visitation, This Present Darkness, and Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti
Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini
The Edge on the Sword by Rebecca Tingle
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Raising Dragons, The Candlestone, Circles of Seven, and Tears of a Dragon by Bryan Davis
The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids by Stanley Kiesel
The Lord of the Rings--okay, I had to put them down occasionly for annoying things like eating and sleeping, but I would've read them in one sitting if I could've--by J. R. R. Tolkien
Any of the Merlin books by T. A. Barron
Any of the Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn
Growing Wings by Laurel Winter

I won't deny it, I have a problem with putting books down.
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby MusicRocksGBV » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:37 am

Oh la la, this should be fun. Okay, first for the typical ones.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan...up until about book 5 or 6 on this one...after that, it gets dry and way spread out and just...yeah...I still read 'em but it's...predictable at this point.
!!!!!Any book by Patricia A. McKillip!!!!!
Rose Daughter and Beauty(beauty and the best spin-offs...rose daughter is the best) by Robin McKinley
Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey...the few I've read so far.
Warriors and Warriors: New Prophecy by the writers under the pseudonym Erin Hunter
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
The Belgariad and the Mallorean by David Eddings
Anything that falls into the category of tragedy or Shakespeare. Old Grecians tragedies are just FUNNY. My...sense of humor is tickled by really awful ironies...lol.

Anyway, that's a start. I find it to be a medley of everything...oh well lol.
"No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew." -Lulu, FFX
I don't believe in luck because God doesn't gamble.
MusicRocksGBV

Postby Taliesin » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:47 pm

I have a hard time putting down ANY book that I pick up. but for the sake of discussion I will list some of my favorites:
The entire Redwall series (I own them all)
Eragon and Eldest.
LOTR (I think everyone put this down)
Harried plotter (did I spell that wrong?)
Spindles end by Robin McKinley (a great fairy tale spinoff but you have a hard time guessing the fairy tale until the end)
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (another fairy tale spinoff)
Howl's moving castle (the movie is based off this excellent book)
Six cousins and Rose in bloom by louisa may alcott
The Theif and The Queen of Attolia (I forget the authors name)
The jungle book (and its little-known sequel)
Flames of Rome
well I guess thats all the books I want to write down for now. but there are more, so many more, mahahahah
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 pm

Taliesin wrote:The Theif and The Queen of Attolia (I forget the authors name)

MEGAN WHALEN TURNER. She's my favorite living author. I CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND ANOTHER THIEF FAN! I'M SO HAPPY! *does a happy jig*

She also published a new book in the series this year, called The King of Attolia. The Queen of Attolia is still my favorite, but it's an excellent, EXCELLENT book.

*was actualy coming here to say that XD*

But, ah, yeah, besides the Queen's Thief series, I also couldn't put down Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. Actually, anything I've read of hers is something that sucks me in and stays in my memory for years. (I haven't read her books since I was a young teen. I need to re-read them.)

And I agree, Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books are the best books in the entire expanded universe. No question.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby beau99 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 am

Wil Wheaton's autobiography, Just a Geek.

Also the Silverwing trilogy written by Kenneth Oppel.
beau99

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:10 pm

A Treasury Of Royal Scandals is one book that I wish were longer but I can't stop reading when I pick it up.The main reason is because a lot of the facts are so durn interesting and even hilarious(George II died on the toilet!).
Presidential Ancedotes(I only have the copy that goes up to Bush,Sr.)another fun
read full of humor and facts.
mitsuki lover

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Red Storm Rising
Eric

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:49 pm

All of the Star Wars novels by Timothy Zahn. Outbound Flight anyone?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby midori45 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:52 pm

Horror: Down a Dark Hall by Louis Duncan
I know what you did last Summer by (once again) Louis Duncan (<---Heard the movie ruined it though ;-;)

Legal: Best leagal/Family issue books ever! My Sisters Keeper... (ending made me cry... It's not supossed to end like that!! >.< *is gonna be obsessed with the ending for a while*)

Anime Based Novels: .Hack//Another_Birth Fuses well with the first game.
Adopted by:

*Mega.exe

Breaking the bonds of popularity on day at a time :cool:

Julia M. (<-- My bff) wrote: You know what Grace, you take the whole "one step forward two steps back" saying to a whole new level. You just skip the forward step all together.

I carry the weight of the world
as the past is unfurled, but I won’t stop to
wonder,
Going through this life on my own made me as cold as a stone,
I’m a ship going under,
And I’d tell you this, but I don’t know how,
I’m caving in and I’m falling out and I can’t resist,
And I can’t rebound with the weight of the world as the world falls down... -Weight of the World by Saliva

I ain't such a saint that I can promise to risk my life for strangers. Neither am I scum enough to sit quietly by while people are getting hurt before my eyes. -Ichigo Kurosaki

Current Anime Favorites:

• Bleach
  • Elfen Lied
  • Death Note
midori45

Postby Icarus » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Most recently, that would be Cursor's Fury, by Jim Butcher. If not for sleeping, eating and work, I would have read it non-stop the second time. Further evidence of my addiction is that I read it thrice in a month and a half.

... I still wouldn't mind reading it again.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Kaori » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:44 pm

It's true that addictive books aren't necessarily the ones that are best written, but the last book that thoroughly engrossed me was actually very thought-provoking: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel. There were some aspects of her writing that were just okay and others that I admire very much. She also raises quite a few interesting spiritual issues, although she isn't a Christian.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby PigtailsJazz » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm currently reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss, and I find it hard to lay aside.
PigtailsJazz

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:19 pm

I found Dr.Cornelis Vanderwaal's book critiquing Dispensationalism
Hal Lindsey And Biblical Prophecy one book that I found hard to put down because of his well considered arguments.
mitsuki lover

Postby Aleolus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:53 am

The Inheritance series! Eragon and Eldest were awesome! The third book hasn't come out yet, but I could NOT put the first two down, except (in the case of Eldest) where it would switch from Eragon to Roran.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:17 am

The Name of the ROse by Umberto Eco. I can hardly stop reading it. It's fascinating....
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:04 pm

The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde,so good that it was hard to decide what to read and what to leave for another day.
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:05 am

White Night, the latest book in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I literally did not stop until I was done. Cleaned it in 3 1/2 hours. Probably one of the best in the series, too.
Maledicte

Next

Return to Book Corner