Books so good that you couldn't put them down

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:39 pm

The books from the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Nall » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm

I think one of the greatest books I read was Richard Adams' Watership Down. Other books I've read and enjoyed are Richard Adams' The Plague Dogs, Orson Scott Card Ender's Game, and some of the Stephen King books, like Hearts in Atlantas, Cujo, and Dreamcatcher.
Nall

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:42 am

I found Al Gore's book:The Assault On Reason to be thought provoking even though there were some sections where I thought he got too
partisan.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:38 pm

Nall wrote:I think one of the greatest books I read was Richard Adams' Watership Down. Other books I've read and enjoyed are Richard Adams' The Plague Dogs, Orson Scott Card Ender's Game, and some of the Stephen King books, like Hearts in Atlantas, Cujo, and Dreamcatcher.

Oo, Watership Down and Plague Dogs! Come to think of it, I read Plague Dogs and Ender's Game pretty quickly, too....
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Kitsune » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:10 pm

The entire Dreamers series by David Eddings, and The Redemption of Althalus also by Eddings. Not to mention Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs.
Kitsune

Postby Jman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:08 am

Harry Potter Series.

I read this series during the first month of school this year.

I would be coming home at 3 and on days i didnt work, i'd read till like 12.

on days i did work i'd read till 3 to make up for lost time.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Insanewithapen *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*
Adopter of Sakura's Wings *0/0*
Adoptee of Cap'n Crack *0/0*

---
"It never hurts to try to make new friends, except when it does hurt…
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---
"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
-Isaiah 53:5

|J|c|r|e|w| --- Jman's Antidrug
---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
Help Him Achieve World Domination...

---
It’s not like we hate him or want him to die
Jman

Postby Kkun » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 am

Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz, pretty much all of the New Jedi Order books, and R.A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy (Artemis Entreri r00lz) are the first that spring to mind. I'm sure there are others.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:12 am

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. Since it's written from the perspective of a boy with Asperger's Syndrome, it made for an extremely interesting read, and I could hardly put it down. Thus, I read the whole thing in two days.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SnoringFrog » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:12 am

Redwall
Cataways of the Flying Dutchman
Ender's Game series & parallel series
Wheel of Time
Dune

Those are the ones I can recall.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Nate wrote:I once read a book on the history of glue.

I couldn't put it down.

*rimshot*

I haven't been able to put down any of the Potter books... With most books, I reach a point where I'm "broken in" and can no longer put the book down... It happened with Perelandra, Out of the Silent Planet, and Starship Troopers, among others... It, unfortunately, never happened with That Hideous Strength or the Lord of the Rings books... I also didn't quite reach that point with "Ender's Game" though I really wanted to after how much my roomates went on about that book.

If I don't reach that snapping point, I generally don't finish the book.

I reached that point with the book of Judges, by the way... THat's the only book in the Bible that did that for me... Well, that and samuel/kings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I reached that point with the book of Judges, by the way... THat's the only book in the Bible that did that for me... Well, that and samuel/kings.

Huh, that's fascinating. Do you know what chapters or parts of the story were that point? This is just for my curiosity, so no problem if you aren't sure. I can see how Judges would hold someone's interest (especially near the end with the more bizarre stories) and David's story is one of the more narrative ones.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:26 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Huh, that's fascinating. Do you know what chapters or parts of the story were that point? This is just for my curiosity, so no problem if you aren't sure. I can see how Judges would hold someone's interest (especially near the end with the more bizarre stories) and David's story is one of the more narrative ones.

I honestly don't remember... And thinking back on it, wasn't Ehud the first story in Judges? Really, technically, I liked Judges right from Ehud. I'm not sure about Samuel and Kings, though... It's been a while.

I'm giving "That Hideous Strength" another shot right now... Gonna see if I "snap" into it. Brought it with me to work, even.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Ehud is the first major judge, but Othniel comes before him and the beginning is about Joshua and the transformation of Israel into a tribal confederacy. I can see how that would be the point where things get interesting.

As far as Samuel and Kings, I'm in the middle of II Samuel now. Absalom's rebellion and all of that.
uc pseudonym

Postby GeneD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:46 am

I'm not really sure if I found it that spectacular but for some reason I read Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson in one day.

It's a very easy read and maybe I just had the time, but it is not even as if it's anywhere near one of my favourite books.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Kenshin17 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:09 am

I have read plenty of good books, including some in a single afternoon.

Mostly they are the Star Wars ones. Yeah so I am not into the heavy reading, I know XD

I think I read one of the Rebel Dawn novels in one afternoon, might have been some others.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1186918) wrote:Ehud is the first major judge, but Othniel comes before him.

I love Othniel. Is that a cool name or what? Seriously, I'm going to name my son that, if I have one XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby CephasWhite » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 am

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - Awesome book to start with before reading The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien- Halfway through The Two Towers.

Chronicles of Narnia by Clive Staples Lewis - I started reading the series with The Magician's Nephew, then going to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and on from there. I'm just starting The Last Battle. Every book is mind blowing. I have a clear picture of every single moment that happens in each and every single book. I can't wait for The Magician's Nephew to come out in theaters same with The Horse and His Boy and all the others.

I desperately cannot wait for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader to come out! This book is terribly mind-blowing!! So much stuff happens in this book!! It's Amazing!! And The Last Battle? Whooooo....
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Discworld. I'm addicted now. Also H. P. Lovecraft's stuff. Better than any Stephen King.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Sabriel - Garth Nix (The first in the trilogy)

Redwall series (twenty-something books in all) - Brian Jacques

Godfire 1 & 2 - Tim Waggoner
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 am

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1190338) wrote:Sabriel - Garth Nix (The first in the trilogy)

:thumb: That's a great book! I really loved it when I read it. I first read it while listening to Evanescence's album "Fallen" for the first time, and they are intrinsically linked to me now. Garth Nix is a really good author; he can portray a female character much more realistically than any other male author I've read before.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Corkyspaniel » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:44 pm

"House" by Frank Peretti & Ted Dekker and "Thr3e" by Ted Dekker are the only two I can think of, but they're awesome! (Those two authors are, like, the masters of Christian fiction. But I tend to prefer Dekker's writing over Peretti's. :)
[color="Green"][SIZE="2"]There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.1 Corinthians 10:13, KJV[/SIZE][/color]
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkOrange"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"]Believe it!!![/color][/font][/SIZE]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkOrchid"] [SIZE="2"]~Neji/Tenten fan~[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Corkyspaniel

Postby Wild Eagle » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 am

Jesus and Muhammad- Mark A. Gabriel, PhD
Islam and the Jews- Mark A. Gabriel, PhD
Unveiling Islam- Caner&Caner

(Notice a trend here? :P Don't worry. These three books were written by former Muslims who turned to Christianity).

Siliverwing- Kenneth Oppel
The Hiding Place- Corrie Ten Boom
Anne of Green Gables- Lucy M. Montgomery
The Hobbit- J.R.R Tolkien
The Magician's Nephew- C.S Lewis
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:20 am

Adventures in Odyssey: Dark Passage and Freedom Run. They might be considered kids' books, but I was captivated by them and couldn't wait to read more. It's about two kids from Odyssey who go back in time with the Imagination Station and end up helping these two slaves get away on the Underground Railroad. Pretty exciting, really.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:21 am

I raced trough Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, (I started between 11 and 2:30 last night) finishing it today. Unfortunately this means I got very little actual work done today but it is really good... XD
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Emanku » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:40 pm

One of the books that I just couldn't put down was 'The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow' by Fuyumi Ono. I really liked the anime version of The Twelve Kingdoms but the novel is so much better.
Other than that....
The Oath - Frank Peretti
Raven's End - Ben Gadd
Any of the ten original books in the Seven Sleepers series by Gilbert L. Morris. The four Lost Chronicles books weren't as interesting to me.
I will not waver, doubt or falter for all truth in this world has been written into the book here at my side.
Emanku

Postby Alice » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:03 pm

The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny. I'm reading them now.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby MomoAdachi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Angel Tifa » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Oh yeah I've got a few ^^;

Save Me From Myself-by Brian 'Head' Welch who was the former lead guitarist of Korn who quit the band became a born again Christian. The story really touched my heart so much and is one of the many proofs that God does exist. I read the book in four days. I just couldn't put it down ;).

Geisha. A Life.-by Mineko Iwasaki.I also finished that book in four days. It's a biography about Iwasakis story being a Geisha.

Mere Christianity-C.S. Lewis. Also another good one ;).

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time-Mark Haddon.

Lord of the Flies
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:10 am

Angel Tifa (post: 1203564) wrote:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time-Mark Haddon.

:rock: :jump: Someone else has read this amazing book! Yippee!!!

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Angel Tifa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:25 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1204039) wrote::rock: :jump: Someone else has read this amazing book! Yippee!!!

Hehe, yeah actually it was a book we had to buy to read for our English 100 class last semester :thumb:. But after our professor gave us a mini review of the book the first day of class, I decided to start reading the book way early before we had to ^^. After reading it only once I was like "hey this is such a cool book :cool:!" so I even decided to read through it for a second time and still enjoyed it ^___^. So I read the book twice ;).
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner