Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:06 am

How many of you have read this excellent book? It's about an unintelligent man who is tested on by scientists in an attempt to make him more "normal". I read it in junior high and found it quite thought-provoking. BTW, if you have read this book, I highly recommend checking out the movie Charly , which is based on it. It's a very faithful adaptation of the book.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:44 pm

When I was a Sophmore in High School we had to read it along with The Pigman.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Are they releasing it in book form? At my grade school it was included in the primary literature text.

But regardless: yes, I have read it and I agree that it is excellent. In addition to being a good story it skillfully shows Charley's intelligence without resorting to simple explaining or beating you over the head with it. Because of this I found the last part of the story especially sad.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:49 am

It is in book form. And like I said, UC, the movie is definitely a faithful adaptation of the story. Why can't all movies based on books be that good. coughcoughThe Black Cauldroncoughcough
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Tancos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:03 am

I read both the original short story and the novel long, long ago, and enjoyed both.
Tancos

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:25 pm

I think the saddest part is when he goes to his dad's barbershop and is unable to
let him know what's happened to him.
mitsuki lover

Postby Dunedan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:59 pm

I'd say that the saddest part is him going back to the class of the teacher he had been in love with, and he's back to square one and forgotten he was really in love with her.
The reflections of light are everywhere
Only a gilded age of forgetfulness
A drunken slumber, goodnight but no kiss.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, and to be loved in return."-Christian and later Toulouse, Moulin Rouge
Dunedan

Postby MusicRocksGBV » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:43 am

<.<...uhmmm, yeah. Okay, sorry, there must be two movies by the name of Charly then. I have read and seen Flowers for Algernon, and omgosh, made me wanna cry so badly. I had to read that in eighth grade.
The other movie that I thought of with the same title is based on the book by Jack Weyland, book also called Charly. One of the best movies I've seen in a while lol.

But yeah, they were extremely true to the book on that movie. Wonderful idea, why don't they learn to implement it, eh?

And about The Black Cauldron...rofl, agreed completely...I finished reading that book about a DAY before I saw the first advertisement/commercial for it...oooooh, so wrong. Lol.
"No matter how dark the night, morning always comes, and our journey begins anew." -Lulu, FFX
I don't believe in luck because God doesn't gamble.
MusicRocksGBV

Postby Alice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 pm

I liked the short story (novella?) it was based on the best. Later, I read the novel -- they dirtied it up a bit. :grin: And then saw the movie, which they dirtied up some more.

[spoiler] Charly almost raped his teacher, which didn't happen in the book or novella. [/spoiler]

So, yeah, the only thing I actually liked was the original, rather-long short story I read years ago.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Return to Book Corner