[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Favorite Narnia Book? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Favorite Narnia Book?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite Narnia Book?

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:08 pm

Which Narnia book was the best? My favorite was The Magician's Nephew.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm half down The Last Battle and just haven't gotten time to finish it >_< So far it's been my favorite, because when I started (in the limited time I had to read the first bit) I was so hooked and wished there was more time to keep going! But, looks I'll have to come back and vote when I finish it^^ I find sometimes that good stories (whether books, movies, whatever) with bad endings, can almost ruin the whole thing. Not that I expect it, but just you know, if it was somethign I didn't care for. So I'll have to keep going and see how it all ends, and then come back and take the poll^^
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:55 pm

The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Probably The Magician's Nephew, though The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a close second.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby RedMage » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:23 pm

VotDT.
"Intercession is the homework of the Kingdom."
RedMage

Postby Wild Eagle » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:41 am

Right now I like the Magician's Nephew the best...but I'm planning to read the Horse and His Boy and I have a feeling that it will replace the Magician's Nephew as my favorite. ^_^;
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

"An eye for an eye, will only make the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Wild Eagle

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:49 am

I l-o-v-e the Horse and His Boy, mostly because you get a peek at what life was like when Lucy, Ed, Susan, and Peter were ruling. I also like the first book (the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) even more so after the movie has come out.

I'm kind of amazed that everyone likes the Magican's Nephew and Dawn Treader so much. What do you all like so much about them?

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Wild Eagle » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:18 am

I liked the Magician's Nephew a lot because the Christian symbolism was really well done. I could clearly see that the book was basically the Narnian version of the creation story. Also, the themes of good vs. evil and atonement were effectively addressed. I would tell you specifically what I really enjoyed about the book...but I don't know how to use spoiler tags. ^_^;
"Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion, blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:1

"Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth, you will again bring me up." Psalm 71:20

Wild Eagle

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:47 am

MyrrhLynn wrote:I'm kind of amazed that everyone likes the Magican's Nephew and Dawn Treader so much. What do you all like so much about them?

The Magician's Nephew was good, but not amazing for me. The creation story was quite nice in it^^ I did quite enjoy Dawn Treader, because it's like all these chronicles at sea were amazing, and I didn't even reralize it until I was browsing through Wiki that [spoiler] the part where Aslan was turning Eustace back from a dragon, that the whole thing with the water was a symbolic thing of baptism and all... Not sure why I didn't pick that one up^^ Maybe too involved with the story? Yet I got the whole "shedding of skin with the help of Aslan" though. *shrugs*^^ [/spoiler]

Noticing the list was made in the chronological order that Lewis wrote them, and knowing the movies are being made in that order too, (to help with the timeline in reality with the aging children) would that mean they'll be skipping Magicians Nephew and Horse and His Boy, to make The Last Battle, so the actors who play Jill and Eustace will still be the same ageish? Hmmm...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:12 am

To use spoiler tags, type spoiler in brackets. then type what you want, and type /spoiler in brackets. Whatever you type between spoiler and /spoiler will be put into a box which must be clicked on and dragged.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wild Eagle » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks rocklobster! ^_^

The part which I really liked the most in The Magician's Nephew was:

[spoiler] When Digory chose to obey Aslan and return the fruit to him instead of buying into the Witch's trap and taking the apple for himself. I found that part so cool because Digory didn't succumb to his own desires but trusted in Aslan and put Narnia before himself. Aslan rewarded Digory for his obedience by giving him an apple from the tree to heal his mother. It reminded me of that verse in Proverbs where it says "Trust the the Lord your God and lean not on your own understanding". ^_^ Also, it kind of gave me an idea as to what might have happened if Adam and Eve didn't disobey God in the Garden of Eden. [/spoiler]

Wild Eagle

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:15 pm

The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader because of the fact it was the first one I read and also because it's more of a typical swashbuckling adventure than anything else.
mitsuki lover

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:13 pm

I enjoy The Magician's Nephew because the Wood Between Worlds, Creation of Narnia, Charn and everything inbetween are so fascinating!

Voyage of the Dawn Treader because of the temptation at the lake of gold leading to possible death, the book of spells and Eustace repentance and the symbolism involved.

They are just amazing books. They have strong Christian symbolism but are incredibly entertaining as well. And Lewis has the ability to let you use your imagination to make up your own idea of how things look.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:20 am

Hmm... I'd have to say Last Battle, though it's almost a three-way tie with that, Magician's nephew, and Horse and His Boy... The three least likely to be turned into movies (MN and HaHB for timeline issues, LB because no one knows if the films will remain successfull long enough to finish the series)

Horse and His Boy is a good one because there is no connection with earth whatsoever... It's the only story that takes place entirely in Narnia, at least from what I remember...

Magician's Nephew is a great "just so you know" right before the end, though it hurts me to see it placed as book 1...

Hmm...

I've ranted about book orders many times... I've ranted about a lot... nevermind, I said enough for the topic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:33 am

Walden Media want to do all 7 Narnia books. If commercially viable there's a chance they will (and I hope they do).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:15 am

Wild Eagle wrote:Thanks rocklobster! ^_^

The part which I really liked the most in The Magician's Nephew was:

[spoiler] When Digory chose to obey Aslan and return the fruit to him instead of buying into the Witch's trap and taking the apple for himself. I found that part so cool because Digory didn't succumb to his own desires but trusted in Aslan and put Narnia before himself. Aslan rewarded Digory for his obedience by giving him an apple from the tree to heal his mother. It reminded me of that verse in Proverbs where it says "Trust the the Lord your God and lean not on your own understanding". ^_^ Also, it kind of gave me an idea as to what might have happened if Adam and Eve didn't disobey God in the Garden of Eden. [/spoiler]

No problem. I love to help out. You should check out C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength . They're a tad deeper than Narnia, but still good. Perelandra also deals with Eden in a way.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:58 am

I loved the imagery and the expanded settings of Dawn Treader.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:47 pm

It's been a while since I've read through them (I need to pick them up again!), but I remember liking Voyage of the Dawn Treader quite a bit. I think I liked the adventurous feel of it, and the different places they visited. Plus, I liked the wizard. XD

I love LWW as well, though. Edmund's transformation is great in that book, plus I love Mr. Tumnas.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Fionn Fael » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Oh, gosh... I can't decide. They're all fantastic, although I must say I really enjoyed all the places they visited in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The funny thing is, I was playing LoZ: Wind Waker at the time, so I couldn't help but picture Caspian as little, cartoony Link! XD!! I'm such a nerd.
Formerly known as haru_bay_nay

Avatar by: tinamakesicons(LiveJournal.com)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams." --Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist

“To put alcohol in the human is like putting sand in the bearing of an engine." --Thomas Edison

[color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]The simplest way that I can understand therapy is that we're born a certain way, we're taught to be something different, and we spend our whole lives trying to unravel it and ultimately align ourselves with who we really are. Life, experiences, traumas -- whatever -- they all add up to make you some altered version of what you are. So there's this battle that goes on between what you are and what you become, and it's been very important for me to unravel what I was taught to be or what I became. and to draw a direct parallel to music -- the closer I get back to being who I really am, the stronger the music gets..." --Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins frontman)[/font][/color]

Adopted by KhakiBlueSocks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fionn Fael

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:06 pm

The whole purpose of Aslan bringing the Pevensies and the other children into the world of Narnia is explained at the end of The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader.
mitsuki lover

Postby faithfighter » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite w/o disput. such a cool adventure, but also a seriously deep life mediphor!! C.S. Lewis rocks!
[color="Green"][font="Verdana"]There is no one you can't love once you know their story-Mary Lou Lawnacki[/font][/color]
faithfighter

Postby soul alive » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:43 pm

My absolute favorite is VotDT, but HaHB and TLB are very close behind it. I think VotDT is my favorite because of the more swashbuckling feel to it, and the great range of imagery it has.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm going with The Last Battle for its' intensity and resolution. The ending is beautiful, a fitting ending to a wonderful series. Though I cannot believe that no one's voted for LWWD. It's the most well-known for a reason.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:58 pm

Well LWW is so overdone. And it's quite immature compared to the others (not the story, but the writing style and character development).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Well LWW is so overdone. And it's quite immature compared to the others (not the story, but the writing style and character development).

Exactly... Which is why it deserved to be book one... The series matures as it goes along, and by Magician's Nephew, it's a real downgrade to go back to LWW...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:29 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Well LWW is so overdone. And it's quite immature compared to the others (not the story, but the writing style and character development).

When you say "overdone," do you mean overdone as in overperformed (movies, plays, performances) or do you mean the book is overdone (as in melodramatic, overly allegorical, over-written)? Maybe Lewis as a fiction writer?

I'm not sure that I would consider the book immature, as it was written for children. There is a lot of character expressed in the persons of Narnia and the children - personality, maturity. I would say that a lot of it is plot driven and not character driven as much, and that it is probably the most allegorical of all. I dunno. I've always enjoyed each book in its' own way, and LWW just as much as most of the others. Just wanted to see a bit more of your thoughts on that.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:34 am

Wow I am seriously in shock. Maybe I will have to reread them all again because I remember VotDT as being boring and not at all interesting to me. I can't believe everyone like it so much. I think part of my problem is I love Narnia (the country) and they spend the whole book away from Narnia. Either that or I'm being biased by the really old British movie versions of the books and I didn't like that movie very much.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:02 am

I mean overdone as in overperformed (media-wise, plays etc and it's the only Narnia book read in schools! Grrr...). It's definetly not meodramatic, too allegorical (although it is VERY obvious and definetly not over-written). But I think the stories after are just more mature in their scope, their complexity of story (and characters with actual flaws!). The excuse that books have to be immature if they are aimed mainly at kids is rubbish. Kids are a lot more intelligent than most realise.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:24 am

WOW.... I didnt know everyone else like Voyage of the Dawn treader the best to...
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:31 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I mean overdone as in overperformed (media-wise, plays etc and it's the only Narnia book read in schools! Grrr...). It's definetly not meodramatic, too allegorical (although it is VERY obvious and definetly not over-written). But I think the stories after are just more mature in their scope, their complexity of story (and characters with actual flaws!). The excuse that books have to be immature if they are aimed mainly at kids is rubbish. Kids are a lot more intelligent than most realise.

I'll definitely give you that.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Return to Book Corner