Can anyone recommend some Shakespeare?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby termyt » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:16 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I do NOT recommend Romeo and Juliet. A piece of crap tale of two irrational pre-teen infatuaters. I was sickened by the immature and illogical decisions that each character took. They were like pre-modern emos! :bang:

Most people consider R&J a drama, and in that light, I would tend tp agree. However, I consider it to be a comedy full of ridiculous characters and farsical situations. That paints the angst in a different light.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:47 pm

termyt wrote:Most people consider R&J a drama, and in that light, I would tend tp agree. However, I consider it to be a comedy full of ridiculous characters and farsical situations. That paints the angst in a different light.

I think it is considered both. Most people would say it starts as a comedy, and ends as a tragedy. (An unexpected twist back then I would assume) That's probably one reason why it garnered much appreciation.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby fantasygeek » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:23 pm

It's probably a little late but Twelfth Night is awsome.
"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from His love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries for tommorow and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us fron the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39
:jump:

:poke:
fantasygeek

Location: In a far away land, locked in a tower in the middle of the forest.

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:00 pm

i gotta second both the tempest and julius caesar, both are very good, try to memorize mark antony's funeral speech if you can, it's a good one to quote from time to time
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:13 pm

There are only so many works of shakspere to recomend, but out of all the works of the bards, I still say Taming of the Shrew is my favorite. Worthy of note as well is the Mel Gibson Hamlet. And the Kenneth Branaugh Much Ado about Nothing. I need to get KB's Henry V on my netflix.
Etoh*the*Greato

Previous

Return to Book Corner