Can anyone recommend some Shakespeare?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Can anyone recommend some Shakespeare?

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:06 pm

Winter Break has begun! Consequently, I am in need of something intellectually stimulating to prevent my brain from becoming a pile of grey mush. What better way to keep my brain away from such a sad fate than to fill it with something that is classic and that will help me become a more refined young man?

Anyways, with way more writings than I know about; I have no idea where to start. So I turn to you, CAA board members: where should I start? :?:
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby mssthang_1 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:55 pm

read julius ceaser...that is a good one, either that or macbeth those are two of my favorites
Beware...I have an attitude and I'm not afraid to use it. :shady:

You can thank me for the warning. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

~My Deviantart Account~
mssthang_1

Postby RobinSena » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:35 pm

mssthang_1 wrote:read julius ceaser...that is a good one, either that or macbeth those are two of my favorites

I second Macbeth. I really like that one.. =)
RobinSena

Postby Kaori » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:40 pm

I just finished a Shakespeare course in which we read eight plays over the course of the semester: Macbeth, Hamlet, King Lear, The Merchant of Venice, As You Like It, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Othello, and The Winter’s Tale. Apparently, these are the plays that my instructor felt most worth reading.

My own personal favorites (in general, not just from the course) are as follows:

From the tragedies, Macbeth, Hamlet, and King Lear. They’re all so good that I really can’t choose among them.

From the comedies: A Midsummer Night’s Dream is my favorite, although The Merchant of Venice is also excellent, and I enjoyed reading Twelfth Night.

From the romances: I personally love The Tempest for its mythical feel and overall poetic beauty (although my instructor hates it), and The Winter’s Tale, though less poetically rich, is notable for its great Christian congruences.

[spoiler=Winter’s Tale]Many critics believe that the scene near the end, where a statue comes to life, is an actual miracle, in which case the play carries out the cycle from death to resurrection.[/spoiler]

I can’t comment on the other two romances (Cymbeline and Pericles) or most of the histories because I haven’t read them, but this should give you a good start.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:35 pm

Macbeth man. read Macbeth. it's good stuff.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Rogie » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:07 pm

There's so much to choose from. I would recommend Julius Caesar or Twelfth Night, the latter being my favorite Shakespeare due to the comedy.

On a side note: like the Rorschach avatar. :thumb:
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:57 pm

If you are looking for an intellectual challenge... I suggest Hamlet. The wordplay is unparalleled.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:34 am

Once you get done with Hamlet, look up the comedy Rosecrantz and Guildenstern are dead. It tells a certain part of the Hamelt story from the point of view of two if his childhood friends. It my help to have a working knowledge of Hamlet, which I only had a high-level understanding of when I saw it performed.

Many High School literature classes read MacBeth for their Shakespearean tradgedy for one simple reason - it's the shortest.

As for Romeo and Juliet - isn't more a comedy than a tragedy?
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:36 am

Oh Gosh! Shakespeare? Blah, I hate that man. No, that's harsh, actually I hate his works. So hard to understand, not relevant, boring etc
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby termyt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:39 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Oh Gosh! Shakespeare? Blah, I hate that man. No, that's harsh, actually I hate his works. So hard to understand, not relevant, boring etc

Not Relevant? Shakespeare is the basis for most modern theater from Broadway to the movies to TV. The language may have changed, but the human condition hasn't.
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:51 am

There are only so many love triangles to be had.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:58 am

Plots are not the point of Shakespeare, but rather the writing, the characters, their interactions, the poetry of the language and the way different directors and actors can do so many versions of the same story and still feel unique. The plots are however highly silly, but plots are beside the point in most stories anyway, at least for me.

I recommend Julius Caesar, Ikimasu. It's a good play, but sort of a given since it's the only Shakespeare play I'm intimately acquainted with. The Marlon Brando / James Mason film does not do the play any amount of justice.
bigsleepj

Postby Genma » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:00 am

Shakespeare, eh? You've come to the right place. Shakespeare has something for everyone. I am going to give you a few of my favorites:
Probably my most favorite is Hamlet. It is the most tragic of the tragedies and has the best characters with a good balance of romance intrigue and comedy relief (Polonius the medler and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern the first and last victims of Hamlet's -real or feigned- madness. Hamlet is well balanced and a good read.
Henry V is by far the greatest of the Histories. It is both powerful and inspirational and it is a good coming of age story as Henry's youth is compaired to his current life as king. Julius Caesar is fine but henry V is a better story any day.
Next to Hamlet, my favorite tragedy would be Othello. I believe that Iago is Shakespeare's, and one of litterature's as a whole, greatest villian.
As far as comedies go, the big ones are Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet...That's right I consider Romeo and Juliet as a comedy. Yes, it does contain elements of tragedy and teen angst, but it is filled with rich comic elements that make up the greater portion of the story. I can go on for a long time about this so I'll stop here if you want to know more about my reasons feel free to ask.
Finally the Tempest is brilliant; probably Shakespeare's most intelligent work. It really transcends the traditional categories of his work and, in my opinion, one of the earliest examples of the fantasy genre. There you have it...I could go on ad nauseum about shakespeare but there are my top reads. Enjoy :-)
Formerly Known As Johnyouth

:thumb: So that's all I got to say about that,

John
Genma

Location: On another plane of existence...or something etherial

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 am

Shakespeare has something for everyone?
Please explain how.

I don't find any of them funny in the least and I had to do one each year in High School until year 12.

Midsummer Night's Dream - Year 8
Twelth Night - Year 9
Romeo and Juliet - Year 10
Macbeth - Year 11

I sure hope there's none of Shakespeare's works in Heaven.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 am

Wow... lots of responces. Thanks everyone for your help. It looks like will be heading to my local library and swooping up a copy of Macbeth. After that; I'll have to return to this thread for reference. :)
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:22 am

Beware The Ides Of March!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Genma » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:There are only so many love triangles to be had.

This from an Anime fan :lol:
Formerly Known As Johnyouth

:thumb: So that's all I got to say about that,

John
Genma

Location: On another plane of existence...or something etherial

Postby termyt » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:23 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I sure hope there's none of Shakespeare's works in Heaven.

You don't like Shakespeare? Fine.
You don't understand the comedy? Fine.

The title of this thread is not "Do you like Shakespeaer?" or "Is Shakespeare funny?" It's a thread for someone who is interested. So why are trolling it? I don't understand this behavior from such a long standing and good member of this comminity whom I trust and respect.
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:44 pm

The Sonnets

MacBeth

The Merry Wives of Windsor

Henry V

Hamlet

The Tempest

Much Ado About Nothing

Two Gentlemen of Verona

The Merchant Of Venice

A Midsummer Night's Dream
mitsuki lover

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:42 pm

termyt, I'm not trolling, at least that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to explain that I didn't enjoy it. Sorry, if I came across as a troll.

*Leaves thread*
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Debitt » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:48 pm

O_O How. Did I. Miss. This thread?!

Out of the (too many) Shakespeare plays I've read, far and away my favorite is Hamlet. It's Shakespeare's longest play, and I think it tackles more philosophical issues than your average Shakespeare (not to say his other plays don't). And as an extra bonus, a LOT of common phrases that we hear today come from Hamlet (yes, outside of "to be or not to be"). :D Yay Hamlet.

After Hamlet, my favorites are probably Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Julius Caesar, in no particular order. :3 I'm also working on The Tempest right now, which looks like it'll end up on that list as well.

And...*high fives johnyouth* I think we need a "Iago = Evil" club here on CAA. XD

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:46 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Oh Gosh! Shakespeare? Blah, I hate that man. No, that's harsh, actually I hate his works. So hard to understand, not relevant, boring etc

I recommend you check out the No Fear Shakespeare books. I use them and I LOVE them. Because I can't understand a WORD of the oldy-middle english that shakespeare writes in. So it's translated to modern-day english for us not-so-smart people!

I recommend Hamlet, as I really liked it. It's a good revenge tale that tackles moral issues. A very good read I say!

I do NOT recommend Romeo and Juliet. A piece of crap tale of two irrational pre-teen infatuaters. I was sickened by the immature and illogical decisions that each character took. They were like pre-modern emos! :bang:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby JesusFreak84 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:52 pm

mssthang_1 wrote:read julius ceaser...that is a good one, either that or macbeth those are two of my favorites

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Those two are my favorites hands down. My sister also really likes A Comedy of Errors. I haven't read that one, though, so I can't comment on it.
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:09 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:
I do NOT recommend Romeo and Juliet. A piece of crap tale of two irrational pre-teen infatuaters. I was sickened by the immature and illogical decisions that each character took. They were like pre-modern emos! :bang:

Yes, it WAS horrible :/ And we had to watch the 60's version of the movie in class (the one with a few seconds of nudity in it :/)

Although, Gonzo (I think it is) is making an anime adaptation of it... I'm wondering how that'll go? Maybe I'll watch it if it's like, anime and stuff AND different and not like... THAT.

Shakespeare was usually quite boring for me... We only got to read some in school, like Julius Ceaser, R&J, and King Lear. With the teacher I had when we read King lear, she made it sound SO good! It's probably my fav. I really do like stories like that better, once it's all been picked through and translated and all^^ Oh, and I did read through half of The Tempest before I found out it was optional :/ Best to avoid stuff like that when I don't have to^^ I'm just not an olde Englishy person :/ (Even though Shakespeare DID invent many modern-day words...)
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:32 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Yes, it WAS horrible :/ And we had to watch the 60's version of the movie in class (the one with a few seconds of nudity in it :/)

OH! The one with Olivia Hussey? We saw that too. Even though I didn't really like the book, I must admit the movie was excellent in retelling Romeo and Juliet. That one is considered by many to be the best Romeo and Juliet film adaptation.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:49 am

The only Shakespeare that I've ever read was Romeo and Juliet, which as some of you have mentioned, not so good. I would however like to read more, since many people regard him as one of the greatest, and he is firmly in the literary canon. The only problem with all that is that I can't bring myself to read an abridged or "modernized" version. Many times the meaning, puns, ect are changed to be far different than the author/playwright intended.

Anyway, plays aren't really meant to be read, but rather watched. Or atleast recited. That's why I'm going to wait till I am required to read Shakespeare's other plays in school, since classes almost always act the plays out, instead of just reading them.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby Debitt » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:03 am

Needle Noggin wrote:Anyway, plays aren't really meant to be read, but rather watched. Or atleast recited.

IMO, I think reading AND watching is the best path. Seeing a Shakespeare production is a wonderful experience (I was blessed with the opportunity to see a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Antony and Cleopatra), and it's so exciting to see the words on the page brought to life. But in the theater the lines come and go, and it's difficult to really analyze and hold on to those lines. That's where the reading comes in, and I think it gives you a whole new insight on the play that you may have missed before. ^^ I know I wouldn't have been able to wrap my mind around the entirity of Hamlet had my first experience with it been in the theater.

And I must second that Romeo and Juliet was. >_> Yeah. The saving grace of that play, I think, was Mercutio. :3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:22 am

Whenever I see a play I usually have the script to read along with.

I do agree though, that seeing it makes it much better.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:18 pm

Kokoro Daisuke wrote:The saving grace of that play, I think, was Mercutio. :3

Without a doubt my favorite character in that play.
[spoiler]Too bad he gets killed by Tybalt (which is a cool name by the way}[/spoiler]
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:29 pm

Heh. Your opinion of Romeo and Juliet is identical to mine.
Go young wildebeest
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Next

Return to Book Corner