God Loves the Freaks

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

God Loves the Freaks

Postby Steve Racer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:26 am

So... this is my own Christian book I wrote. I think it will relate to you guys who are anime fans :) I hope you guys might read it and tell me what you think?

I posted about this in the writing forum but didn't get a response so I hope its ok to post about it here.

link: http://www.lulu.com/content/463648

God Loves the Freaks points to a serious issue facing the church today -- reaching out to subcultures and those who are considered the freaks of society. The "American Christianity" cult that many churches belong to accepts only members who dress, speak and act exactly the same way. We have somehow turned the church into an elite club where only those who follow man-made cultural rules are welcome. Why is it acceptable for someone to show up in church in traditional Chinese clothing, for instance, but not for someone to have a pink mohawk? The church tries to change the freaks of society, or worse, turns them away at the door. Jesus reached out to those in society who were different, who were outcast -- the freaks. Stephen Weese paints a vision of a church living by grace, in unity; without the legalism that divides and causes us to shun others based on outward appearance. God looks at the heart and he loves everyone, including the freaks. If God loves the freaks, shouldn't the church as well?
-Steve Racer
Director of Fans for Christ
Author of God Loves the Freaks
Film and Voice Actor
Steve Racer

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:46 pm

We had a sermon kind of like that on Sunday.It was a parable about a life guard station that started out small and then because of the success it got slowly turned into a social club.Those members who wanted to keep it a life guard station were
quickly kicked out and had to start over again.I think your point is that as long as
we base everything on outward appearance we miss what the Church is here for.
mitsuki lover

Postby Destroyer2000 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Yes, you make a point; but those who wear pink mohawks generally do it for attention, and realize that they will be shunned. They usually do not wish to be bothered with people. In a way, it's partially their fault, as well.
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Mr. Rogers » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:45 pm

That looks interesting. I may have to get it. That's a topic I like too.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:46 pm

I need to get my hands on this book. Is it available in most Christian bookstores? Particularly Family Christian Stores?

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:05 pm

I think you have to order it at FFC or at least they have a link to where you can order it.
Let's also not forget that Mr.T is a Christian and he has a mohawk but I doubt that
anyone would critize him for the way he wears his hair.
mitsuki lover

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Definately, I totally agree.

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Steve Racer » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:34 pm

[quote="Destroyer2000"]Yes, you make a point]

This is EXACTLY the attitude that causes a problem. Let's just stereotype everyone by what they look like. A lot of people look different because it is what they LIKE. Maybe they just like having a mohawk? If Christians (like you) continue to judge people by outward appearance, then we will never reach out to those who are different and the church will stay a cookie cutter club forever.

as for the questions:

Does the URL not work? Let me post it again just in case.

http://www.lulu.com/content/463648

It is available via the link for now, it should be listed on Amazon soon, and if I am blessed Family Christian will start carrying it :)

So say a prayer :)
-Steve Racer
Director of Fans for Christ
Author of God Loves the Freaks
Film and Voice Actor
Steve Racer

Postby oro! » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:28 pm

Sometime, I will want to pick up this book. The "freaks" are actually my mission field, so I think this would be a good read, Steve. Why should all Christians look alike? We all come from different backgrounds, and can still glorify God through our different appearances. The time when one SHOULD change the outer appearance is if it's impeding your relationship with God and serving Him the best one can.
Don't worry; if and when I get it, I'll give you some feedback.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:26 pm

I think I get where Destroyer was coming from, and I don't think he meant anything really condescending or judgemental. He was just making an observation. I have noticed this a lot myself in ministry to hardcore kids (not my own, my sister & brother-in-law's). They take every possible step to be as different and as counter-culture as they can and then complain about "no one understanding" them when they get sour looks or can't seem to find a job. Society should indeed be willing to take a closer look at the real person, but face it, a lot of people aren't going to accept who (they think) you are. This is the life you chose for yourself.
But God does love the freaks, from whatever subculture scene they may come and there are ministries and churches (like Revolution or Scum of the Earth) that break the mold and go after the people that are so often turned away.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:01 pm

In the late '60s and early '70s at the height of the Hippie Movement there was the
so called Jesus People Movement that was made up of hippies who had become
Christian.So just because it is counter-cultural doesn't mean it is necessarily
anti-Christian.
I believe the Christian Rock movement(or the more PC way of putting it
The Contemporary Christian Music movement)got it's birth in the Jesus People
movement with people like Larry Norman who didn't quite fit the image of what a Christian musician should look like(if you have seen any picture of Larry Norman
from those days the first thing you note is that he had rather longish hair).
mitsuki lover

Postby fantasygeek » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:20 pm

I need to read this! It makes an excellent point. Why should outward appearance make any difference to whether someone is accpepted as a christian or not? Even if people are just looking for attention, can anyone say that they don't have flaws just as bad? We weren't forgiven based on what we looked like or what we've done.

Also, my youth pastor was gonna dye his hair pink if the youth group reached its fund raising goal. =D

I can't wait to read it ! =D
"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from His love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries for tommorow and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us fron the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39
:jump:

:poke:
fantasygeek

Location: In a far away land, locked in a tower in the middle of the forest.

Postby narutofreak » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Many Christians find me odd, constantly wearing Trigun and Naruto, and FLCL t-shirts and eating pocky. Which is one reason why I do not have any Christians friends! They especially hate when I talk constantly of X Japan and Dir En Grey. I definitely will buy that book as it resonates with how I feel.
narutofreak

Postby fantasygeek » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:12 pm

^ Yeah I feel ur pain on that one, only one of my christian friends is into anime.
"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from His love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries for tommorow and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us fron the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39

fantasygeek

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:31 pm

This gets into the whole You-Can't-Be-A(Good)-Christian-If...category
mitsuki lover

Postby fantasygeek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:48 pm

Okay! I just bought this book today! Im only on chapter 1 and I love it all ready. I can really relate to it.

fantasygeek

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:45 am

I think a lot of anime fans need to stop being over-obsessive. That's just my take though. It's good to have an interest in certain titles or bands, but I wouldn't recommend talking about it constantly.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Obsession can be either good or bad.It depends.But I think the point of the book is probably that our relationship to God is more important than how we look to the Outside World or even to other Christians.Though I am guessing not having seen or read the book yet.
mitsuki lover

Postby LandmineLuv » Sun May 13, 2007 11:49 am

I used to have a bumper sticker on my car that read God Bless the Freaks (or something like that). Your book sounds interesting.
Not right now, kiddo. It just makes me too sad.
LandmineLuv

Location: Rotting in the base, 'cuz I'm not fully recovered yet.>_<

Return to Book Corner