Choose Your Own Adventure

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Choose Your Own Adventure

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:27 am

As a kid, I used to love the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Did anyone else here like them? What were your favorite ones?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:21 pm

i used to do that when i read some Goosebump books back when i was like 7...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:03 pm

I have a choose your own Doctor Who adventure.
mitsuki lover

Postby Steve Racer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 am

I just bought those for my niece! I know she will love them like I did as a kid!

I got the VERY first one when I was in grade school - the Cave of Time.

I loved it but MAN there were too many paths where you DIED suddenly with no warning!
-Steve Racer
Director of Fans for Christ
Author of God Loves the Freaks
Film and Voice Actor
Steve Racer

Postby Rachel » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:22 pm

I used to love these books! I would always cheat at them though lol
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Photosoph » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Yeah, I loved these!
Hmm... I can't quite remember all of the ones I read, but I think there was one titled 'You're a monster!' one I quite liked. Something about a science experiment going wrong on you. :grin:
Another one I liked was one where you were taking part in a shrinking experiment... I guess I like the sciencey ones. ^_^ Actually, I think all of the ones I read had a sci-fi/sciencey element to them.

Me, I'd sorta cheat. I'd keep my fingers stuck in the pages with the decisions I'd just made, then check my decision to see if I died or not. :lol: If so, then I'd go back to that place and make a different decision. Also, I also liked to read through them and find out all the different endings you could possibly get.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:45 pm

I did the same as Photosoph - read through all the different endings before I started. Then I'd find out how the story got there.

Some of the choose your own adventure seemed boring to me, but there were some very good ones. They used to be incredibly popular when I was in primary school (that's the equivalent of grade school in the States?).
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby soul alive » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:29 pm

I've been trying to remember what those books were called! Thank you.

I loved those books in middle school. I was a bit of a cheater with them too, marking the decision page and checking out all the options to make sure I didn't die in one.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:39 pm

*If Nate likes "Choose Your Own Adventure books, please turn to page 37.*

*If he doesn't, please turn to page 74.*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Puguni » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:43 pm

32 ways to die/fail, 1 way to barely survive/succeed.

Those bittersweet endings were whoppers too. ;D

Good times, good times.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:42 pm

"If you choose 1 turn to page 12,if you choose 2 turn to page 150.'
chooses 5 and turns to page 150
"You have been turned into a mindless,obedient slave of Excel.You're adventure is now over.Go clean up Menchie's mess!"
mitsuki lover

Postby EireWolf » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:22 pm

I used to read those things all the time in grade school. I remember one in particular where you become different animals. Guess what happens when you become a mosquito? :lol:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:52 pm

You get swatted.Do not go back to GO,do not collect $200.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sephiroth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:47 pm

i used to love those books too. it was mainly the fighting fantasy series i had. ohh and i had some of the mario adventure gamebooks, they were kinda funny.

Me, I'd sorta cheat. I'd keep my fingers stuck in the pages with the decisions I'd just made, then check my decision to see if I died or not. If so, then I'd go back to that place and make a different decision. Also, I also liked to read through them and find out all the different endings you could possibly get.

heh aye that was me down to a t, in the fighting fantasy ones you used dice to roll for skill tests & fighting & stuff, & rolled your stats at the start, i would re-roll really low results in char gen tho :P
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:42 pm

I had a few of the Goosebump ones (Choose your own Goosebumps) and then this Jurassic Park: Lost World one which is like the fantasy fighting books... They were fun books. My favorite one I had was this "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" one. It came with "suspect" cards and "item" cards with info on the back and as you read the story clues would be dropped as to where you should go next or who you should see next. You could look at the cards to help you about certain locations or which suspect you were going after. I was so excited when I finally caught Carmen =P
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Return to Book Corner