Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Postby Photosoph » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey there amigos! Anyway, as in the title above, I've been contemplating the series 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

I know it's popular and I've heard a lot of talk about it, but so far I haven't yet read it myself. I'd like to finally get into the series, but first, I have a few questions...

Is there any bad content I should know about? E.g, explicit or far too suggestive scenes, way too much swearing, or anything like that?

I don't mind a little bit; I can handle that. I was just wondering if there's anything I should know about the series before sitting down to read it.

Cheers!
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Photosoph, good to see you mate!

Hitchhiker's Guide is pretty clean but its worldview is fairly humanistic and evolution based. Not that it really spoils the fun, but its worth a mention. A few adult themes.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:40 am

I was just online to arrage the November OC Contest and I couldn't help noticing this thread. Heya Soph! :grin:

I LOVE the Hitchhiker's Guide. It doesn't really have a clear cut plot but there's just so many funny quotable sections. There's also a surprising amount of keen observations and philosophical depth to the insanity.

I agree with W4J, the worldview is rather humanistic and sometimes cynical. Douglas Adams was a definite atheist, but he approaches the topic in such a way that it isn't overly offensive. At one point he even goes into a long tangent about how God disproved his own existence. But I suppose the reason why I wasn't offended is because Adams goes after absolutely everything, even science, and it's pretty obvious that he's joking for the most part.

And there's lots of drinking (hehe, Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster), but the depiction isn't usually positive.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby SigmaKnight » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:09 am

I love the series, but yeah they're right, there are a few parts that could wear down your nerve if you dont take it in humor. Its a great series though very very funny. XD

At one point he even goes into a long tangent about how God disproved his own existence.

XD Yeah... but at the end of the joke... (joke spoiler ahead)
[spoiler] Man goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing, right? *needs to reread the book*[/spoiler]
SigmaKnight

Postby Tidus20 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 am

Is it better than the movie?
When the clock reads 2113
-Coheed and Cambria

Check out my totally NOT MySpace thingy HERE.

My ACTUAL WEBSITE.
Tidus20

Location: A place not too far from my happy place. My left middle finger has touched the same guitar as that

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:13 pm

The movie,the novels,the radio program,the tv series are all different versions of
The Hitchikers Guide Trilogy that consisted of something like 4 or 5 novels.The last one being Mostly Harmless.
mitsuki lover

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Tidus20 wrote:Is it better than the movie?

Way hugely vastly Tremendously GINORMOUSLY better :grin:

Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie, it was fun and the actors were quite good (Alan Rickman and Sam Rockwell especially) but it just wasn't as funny as I had hoped it would be. The only point that really had me laughing was the Guide entry regarding the worst poetry in the universe, which adhered closely to the books.

Also, I thought I'd note that Douglas Adams himself was dissapointed with the fifth (and last book) in the series. It was pretty bleak and the fourth is a major shift from the first three, although it still has some really silly parts. Overall, the first three books of the trilogy are my favorites *nods*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Photosoph » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Cool. Good to know! Thanks for the advice, all; and hey there right back atcha, W4J and LQ! *Waves*
Heh, thought this thread might catch a bit of attention, as I've heard it quoted quite a bit by various people. :grin:

Nope, the atheism shouldn't be too much of a problem; I can deal with that. Thanks for the heads up; I spotted a 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' book with all the novels, and a couple of short stories, and since I'd heard good things about it I thought it could make a pretty neat Christmas present for someone (*starts Christmas shopping early*. Actually, I'm late this year -I usually start in October! :grin: *).
Again, thanks for the advice and comments, everyone. ^^

Another question, out of curiosity: how do the last two books differ from the first three?
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Photosoph wrote:Another question, out of curiosity: how do the last two books differ from the first three?

*is trying to avoid spoilers. EEP!*

Well, the fourth is set predominantly on a planet and it takes away the space travel element of the previous books. One of the funniest, strangest characters also dissapears for the last two books, and the ending to the fifth book is just bleak. Not sad, not melancholy, just bleak. Which is why I like to think of the last two as add-ons to the original three :sweat:

the_lizardqueen

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:58 pm

Your questions have pretty much been answered. The only other thing I would mention is that there is one scene in which two characters have sex, but it is so vague as to be inoffensive unless the act itself bothers you.

the_lizardqueen wrote:At one point he even goes into a long tangent about how God disproved his own existence.

Actually, I rather liked that tangent. Even though Douglas Adams was an atheist, he wasn't afraid to make fun of philosophies associated with his own position. As I see it, he was making fun of such attempts to disprove God.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Stay away from Mostly Harmless. It jumped the shark.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Photosoph » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:37 pm

Cool. Thanks for the extra advice, everyone; it's good to have a better idea of what to expect before picking up a book -along the lines of whether I'll find it offensive or enjoy it. ^_^ On the whole, I think I have a fairly positive view from what you've mentioned so far; I can handle small inappropriate things, but not larger, more detailed ones.

Thanks W4J, LQ, Sigma, MitsukiL, UC and RLobster for your input. ^_^ I really appreciate it.

Though... 'jumped the shark'? Is that a reference to something in the story or an expression I haven't heard before? o_O
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:18 pm

it means that's when it went from good to awful. WIkipedia it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:22 pm

Jump The Shark is a term that derives from the episode of Happy Days where
Fonzie literally did that,jumped a group of sharks while skiing,it was part of a bet.
Afterwards the term came to mean mainly any time a show was felt to get a bit too gimmicky to attract and keep an audience.
mitsuki lover

Postby Photosoph » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:01 pm

Ah; interesting. ^_^ Learning is good.
I'll have to fit that expression into conversation sometime. :grin:
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:19 pm

I didn't much mind the difference, though the books DID get far more sinister toward the end. Overall, THHGTTG is in my top 10 book list of all times.

YMMV
Mithrandir

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:43 pm

I have read all of the books in the 'trilogy'.And yes it is termed a trilogy despite the fact that Adams ended up with about 5 different novels in the series.He kept calling it a trilogy as a gag.
Personally I own:Goodbye,And Thanks For All The Fish and The Restruant At The
End Of The Universe.
Really you have to be English or living in a Commonwealth country to get the gag about Cricket in there.I mean it took me awhile before I even understood that part.
mitsuki lover

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 pm

It is by a British author and therefore more a more British style of humour (dare I say more subtle, surreal and funny?)
I'm surprised some Americans understand it at all. I guess if you enjoy some British humour than you try to understand more of it.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby RobinSena » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:55 am

Hitchhiker's Guide is very funny, and I highly recommend it. I know there was a bit of stuff in maybe the 3rd book?, like UC said. IMHO, the movie was somewhat kid-i-fied.. It just wasn't as funny.. Oh, and if you want to buy it, get this from Half.com, or from amazon. It contains all 5 books, and a short story. Plus, it's cheap. :thumb:

Oh, and Marvin is awesome. so awesome.
RobinSena

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:19 pm

The ending of the radio version includes Wonderful World being sung by Louis Armstrong aka Satchmo.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner