Favorite Star Wars Book!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite Star Wars Book!

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:22 am

Okay Star Wars geeks, let's compete with those nasty Trekkies!! What's your fav Star Wars book? Despite the fact that they're most all so poorly written (they have to be so as not to make Lucas' writing look bad :P ) as a geek I gotta read every one.

Let's see... right now I'm reading the Yuuzhan Vong saga and it seems pretty good as Star Wars novels go.

#1 Favorite would probably be the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, Last Command). Although a long time ago I used to love The Crystal Star because I was so in love with Tigris. XD

Post your favs!!
USSRGirl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:51 am

They are not poorly written. Some are basically Oscar material compared to Lucas' stuff!
My favourites are The Thrawn Trilogy and The Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J Anderson. Very fun books.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 pm

I think my favorite is probably Shadows of the Empire. Not exactly a literary masterpiece, but a terribly fun book to read.

I wish I still had my Star Wars novel collection. I never did get to finish Timothy Zahn's trilogy. >_o
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:34 pm

Billions of blistering blue barnacles, Warrior4Christ!! I liked Lucas' scripts better... even though you may be right about some of the novel authors being technically better... as a fangirl I feel I must stand by George Lucas in even the most illogical circumstances. For example... if you were to say 'Kevin J. Anderson makes a better tuna sandwich than Lucas!' I would immediately shout 'HE DOES NOT!!!' even though I have no idea if Lucas even eats tuna. It's a matter of loyalty. ^_^
USSRGirl

Postby Takuya » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:59 pm

New Republic: Traitor

Unfortunately, I only got to part II...

OMG USSRGIRL?!?! I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE AN SW FAN TOO!!!! *HUGGLES*

BTW... Traitor isn't anywhere NEAR poorly written unless you mean that it's hard to read.. simple fix to that... PROPPER SPACING!!! They need to start writing books with the same double-paragraph spacing as Fanfiction.net...

Other than that, I LEARNED how to write from Traitor...
Takuya

Location: Perhaps another time, another place. Where I am matters not, but who I am.

Postby Needle Noggin » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:17 pm

USSRGirl wrote:Billions of blistering blue barnacles, Warrior4Christ!! I liked Lucas' scripts better... even though you may be right about some of the novel authors being technically better... as a fangirl I feel I must stand by George Lucas in even the most illogical circumstances. For example... if you were to say 'Kevin J. Anderson makes a better tuna sandwich than Lucas!' I would immediately shout 'HE DOES NOT!!!' even though I have no idea if Lucas even eats tuna. It's a matter of loyalty. ^_^

That would be accurate regardless, since Kevin J. Anderson is the worst Star Wars writer out there.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby Takuya » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:55 pm

Well, I say whoever wrote Traitor gets the prize...
Takuya

Location: Perhaps another time, another place. Where I am matters not, but who I am.

Postby rii namuras » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:22 pm

(Traitor ALL THE WAY. The writer's Matthew Stover. He also did Shatterpoint, which is the one about Mace Mindu (awesome, but sad), as well as the SW Episode III Novelization.)

(My favorites, in order: )

1. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Oh yes. Despite the title, it isn't really about Yoda, but rather two Padawans (Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy, or Scout, and Whie) and Dooku. This book would be high on my list already because it's about Dooku (who is my favorite non-EU-prequal character, because I find him a very interesting character), but the interaction between Scout and Whie, as well as Dooku and Asajj and Dooku and Yoda make it my favorite. Go read it. Now.

2. SW: Episode III. The novelization. By Matthew Stover. Stover is an incredible author, and he did wonders with the movie. I love how he tied in the lightsaber forms in the Obi-Wan/Anakin vs. Dooku fight. But what I loved most about the book was he got inside the characters heads. Another one to read. Right now.

3. Traitor. Matthew Stover again. I didn't care much for the NJO - But I love this book, because, again, how Stover gets inside the character's heads.

4. Outbound Flight + Survivor's Quest. Yay for Timothy Zahn. I didn't like the Thrawn Trilogy that much (sue me), but I love his Outbound Flight duology. With Outbound Flight, it was just cool to learn about it, but the story and writing was great at the same time. I think I finished this in an afternoon. Survivor's Quest was just an awesome mystery-type book. You could read it over again and see everything get set into place.

5. Any of the SW books by Jude Watson. I don't care if they're Scholastic, and if they're extremely short, her three series + random special editions are just great. They're Jedi Apprentice (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, as well as the introduction of my tied-for-favorite EU prequal character, Siri Tachi, Adi Gallia's Padawan), Jedi Quest (Obi-Wan and Anakin), Last of the Jedi (Ferus Olin, an old rival on Anakin's), as well as Legacy of the Jedi (the book that made Dooku my favorite prequal character), and Secrets of the Jedi (Obi-Wan has a girlfriend!).)
rii namuras

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:24 pm

Best Story About A Non-Essential Jedi: I, Jedi.

Best. SW. Book. EVER.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby rii namuras » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 pm

(I agree wholeheartedly, but unfortunatley it's a bit too "adult" for some of us here... And while I probably could read it now, I shouldn'tve a few years ago.)
rii namuras

Postby Link Antilles » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 pm

Dear goodness, I have read way too many of these books. @_@ My top three personal favorites would be: the Rogue Squadron Series, Shadows of the Empire, and the Thrawn Trilogy.

Someday, I am going to start back on the New Jedi Order series, but I'm still in limbo about the series. I do not entirely despise NJO (it has its moments), but I do miss the good old days of Imp blasting. Therefore, I picked up Tatoonie Ghost and Survivor's Quest.
Link Antilles

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:46 pm

While I do own lots of these, I haven't had the time to read through them all yet, though I do plan to, someday soon. XD I've read over half of Tales from Jabba's Palace, which I've loved so far, but I've just been way too busy to really get into these series. XD I also have Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, along with Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. I'd really love to start those someday soon. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Maledicte » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:02 pm

Ones that I can remember that I liked:

the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin (because it's Han Solo!)

The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. Totally awesome book, I think I've read it three times. Good action and story, interesting new characters. (Gotta love a guy in a skull mask!)

The Star Wars Tales comics. Particuarly volume 6, with the editor change.
Maledicte

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 pm

Not sure that it counts, but I read a seriously sweet Star Wars comic a couple of years back. The entire plotline consisted of Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul. The battle to end all battles. The battle that has caused many an argument between uber-geeks..
[spoiler]Meh. But Vader won. Apparently his angsty self-hatred beats out Maul's funky hyper kung-fu anyday ;P[/spoiler]
And thus ceases my tangent. I've read a bunch of Star Wars books over the years but none are really coming to mind at the moment. I used to be so obsessed with the 'Young Jedi Knights' series, or whatever it was called. Augh, foggy memory 9_9
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Sephiroth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:48 pm

oh yea i, jedi ruled, i read tons of the expanded universe novels, but my faves have to be anything by timothy zhan & michael stackpole, the yuuzan vong series & the new legacy series stuff. i don't read the old republic stuff much because comparitively the rebellion era onwards is so much cooler. fave chars have to be the jacen, jaina & anakin solo & corran horn.

Ben skywalker is cool as well though he's a relatively new character.
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:04 pm

I love the New Jedi Order series, but haven't read all of it. But I guess I'll go with "The Unifying Force," just because I like finales.

"Rogue Planet" by Greg Bear was cool, even though it was about baby Anakin.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Maledicte » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:10 am

Anyone remember the Galaxy of Terror series or whatever that was? Like Star Wars meets Goosebumps. I seriously loved those books...

The main SW cast showed up in the very first book...and the third or fourth book had something to do with the Clone Wars, which made it look far more interesting than how it ended up in the movie.

*sigh* Brings back memories.

Azgalath wrote:I'm also trying to get all of the Bounty Hunter Wars books... sadly I only have book three... *cries*

Are those the ones with Boba Fett? He was hardly in the last book. That made me mad.
Maledicte

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:34 am

I remember that Galaxy of Fear book with the Clone Wars. The one with the two Darth Vaders fighting it out on the cover, right? I started to read it, but I ended up getting lost. Only thing I remember is that folks unknowingly stepped through some kind of generator.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:11 pm

There was also the series where Luke is a Jedi Master and has his own school.
mitsuki lover

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:32 pm

The Rogue Squadron Series takes the top spot for me.
Valkaiser

Return to Book Corner