*needs advice* Should I read Howls Moving Castle?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

*needs advice* Should I read Howls Moving Castle?

Postby Hinata » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:12 pm

I have read one of Diana Wynne Jones before and was shocked at the witchcraft in the book. Tho it was very well written I think she should be using her talents in writing things other then witchcraft. Anyway, I loved the movie Howls Moving Castle but was wondering whether or not I should read the book it being by the same person and all. Has anyone read this book? And how much (If any) witchcraft is envolved?

Thanks for answering my question! :hug: Huggles to you all!
Hinata

Postby Tancos » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:05 am

The book is very different from the movie (and much better, IMAO), but yes, there's lots of magic. Howl is a wizard, after all, and the Witch of the Waste is a much more formidable character in the book than in the movie.

I like Jones a lot, but most of her books do feature some magic/witchcraft. You might want to look at A Tale of Time City and Archer's Goon, which are more science fiction than fantasy.
Tancos

Postby KBMaster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:53 am

Well, since every person in the book is either a witch or wizard, you'll find a lot of witchcraft in the book. If it really bothers you, I suggest skipping this title. If you can handle the movie, it'll probably be fine.
KBMaster

Postby Hinata » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:38 am

Well I realy enjoyed the movie so I think I will read the book. Magic usaly does not bother me most of the books I read are fantasy magic stuff. I just thought she went a little far. But I guess if I am not going around doing witchcraft there is nothing wrong with reading the book. lol

Thanks!
Hinata

Postby TallasLint » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:12 am

I dunno, there are some pretty disturbing parts of Howls Moving Castle. Miyazaki's movie really tuned down the bad guys evil-ness... But if magic doesn't really bother you, then you should be fine.
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:27 pm

I would say that Diana Wynne borders on J.K. Rowling-ness in some of her other books. I know she's into folktales of ghosts and witches and the like.

However, if you were ok with the movie then you'd definitely be fine reading the book. I would say you should if you liked the movie as the movie was more pagan/witchcrafty than the book. The evilness of the baddies was tuned down in Miyazaki's but that had nothing to do with witchcraft. Calcifer was not properly explained in the movie (Cal's defender! XD). His role was actually very deep and less demonic in the book. Not to spoil it, but Calcifer is more like a fallen angel who became a demon. It's assumed that he changes back in the end. He was more of an Anakin Skywalker type character. He ended up making a deal that saved his life but cost him his soul.

On whole, Howl is more of a silly spoof of knights and wizards and such. There's witches (white and dark... good and bad I guess) and magic, but it doesn't really take itself seriously. The ending was darker and scarier than the movie, but not really pagan. The book itself is hillarious and a fun read.
USSRGirl

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:06 pm

Try getting it at the library first and set limits. If it go's past those limits then just simply stop reading the book. Personally I like Harry Potter. Different people have different convictions on things, and you need to follow those convictions. Thats just the way it is.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:07 pm

Try getting it at the library first and set limits. If it go's past those limits then just simply stop reading the book. Personally I like Harry Potter. Different people have different convictions on things, and you need to follow those convictions. Thats just the way it is. You shouldn't try to set your standards on conviction to somebody else's, just find yours.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Return to Book Corner