Megan Whalen Turner's "Gen" books...

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Megan Whalen Turner's "Gen" books...

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:18 pm

...for lack of a better name for the series (as far as I know, there's no official name for it, so I just decided to use the nickname of the main character). Has anyone read "The Thief", and the sequels "The Queen of Attolia" and "The King of Attolia"?

I'm currently going through The King of Attolia (SIX YEARS WAS SO HARD TO WAIT XD) and it's turning me into a squealing fangirl all over again. Her characters are SO well written, and her writing style is just...great! It's suposedly a YA series, although they almost seem like they're meant to be read by adults to me (not to mention there's some swearing every now and then in the books and occationally it can be pretty violent [but not gory]). I think these books are some of the best fantasy books on the market right now, if not THE best.

Has anyone else read these books? Or would anyone else be willing to read them if I begged? Pleaded? I'm a fangirl who needs to find other fans! XD
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Puritan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Hmmm. No need to plead in my case, I'll have to look into this. Good fantasy is difficult to find, so I'll have to check these books out...
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:52 pm

Puritan wrote:Hmmm. No need to plead in my case, I'll have to look into this. Good fantasy is difficult to find, so I'll have to check these books out...

Oh! I should tell you though, it's very *light* fantasy. Most of what happens in the book seems more like reading a historical novel set in a mythical Ancient Rome-like area (although the countries are all fictional). Most of the fantasy comes in when it comes to their greek-like gods (who do actually appear--something I forgot to add to the content warnings) and some magical artifacts. So a lot of times it doesn't *feel* like fantasy.

Still excellent books, though. I just thought I probably should make sure people wouldn't automatically expect it to have more "magic" in it.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Puritan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Good fantasy, like good scifi, makes worlds that are believable, even if different. Whether it's light or hard, so long as it has a good story I'm interested.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Great! ^_^ I look forward to hearing what you think of the books.
MorwenLaicoriel

Return to Book Corner