[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
The Seven Percent Solution - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

The Seven Percent Solution

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Seven Percent Solution

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:10 am

Okay, I've cheated. It's a book on tape...but it's a GREAT book on tape! I'm almost done with it, and I plan on actually reading the paper version of the book (As soon, as I get my library fines paid off...my card is currently locked...heh heh...:sweat: :?: )

It's about Sherlock Holmes meeting Sigmund Freud. It's really wild and involves drugs, mystery, and a kidnapping!

It's written by Nickholas Meyer, the brilliant writer/director of "Time after Time" and, of course, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home", and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country". He is a GREAT writer with some wild ideas!

Anyone else read it?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:36 pm

I have seen the movie.Isn't this the one that discusses Holmes' cocaine addiction?
Meyer wrote a sequel to it where Holmes and Watson meet Bram Stoker.
mitsuki lover

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:47 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:I have seen the movie.Isn't this the one that discusses Holmes' cocaine addiction?

Yep, yep! That's the one! I have to admit, when I first heard about it, it made me question the sanity of the best Star Trek writer/director in years, but when I really thought about it, and listened to it, it was a genius idea!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:31 pm

The one where they meet Stoker is also good.
mitsuki lover

Postby JasonPratt » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 am

One interesting thing about the sequel (which is _very_ rare to find--a copy exists in the library at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, though, as I can attest {g}), is that it has numerous parallels to Fred Saberhagen's second Dracula novel _The Holmes-Dracula File_. Not sure whether one was borrowing from the other, or whether they both came up with the same basic storyline (minus vampires for Meyer, admittedly. {g}) The latter is certainly possible, as rat-bourne plague was a real problem to be dealt with at the time.
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Return to Book Corner