to kill a mockingbird

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby heero yuy 95 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 pm

I know what you guys be saying. I too had to read it for school. At first I thought it'd be a chore to read, but it really got a hold of me. I'm really nostalgiac about my childhood, and I could really connect with it's coming of age theme. One of the better books I've had to read.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:28 pm

Needle Noggin wrote:You'll be doing yourself a favor if you keep it that way.

:lol: I couldn't agree more!!! AMEN TO THAT!!!
USSRGirl

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Temulin, you can get away with all your points (b/c they're things you dislike and they're found in the novel) except for the last. This book is not a cliche because it's one of the originals, at least in my opinion. (feel free to correct me).
Kawaiikneko

Postby rurouninaruto » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:59 pm

2.) I hate hillbilly slang.

I live in NC, so I'm used to hillbilly slang.:lol: Plus the fact that my mom loves country music.
rurouninaruto

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:04 pm

One of my faves. A great movie based on it is out there too. It's got Gregory Peck in it. I highly recommend it.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:26 pm

rocklobster wrote:One of my faves. A great movie based on it is out there too. It's got Gregory Peck in it. I highly recommend it.

oh. i saw the movie at school. it was pretty good. i thought the opening credits were VERY well done.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Taliesin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:53 am

I have read this book five times and loved every read. The way he writes this book is so perfect with the surroundings. Reading it five times was not enough
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:11 am

Taliesin wrote: The way he writes this book is so perfect with the surroundings.

Actually, the author, Harper Lee, is a woman.

I had to read this book last year. What I read of it (I'm such a slacker XD) was quite good. Perhaps I'll return to it one day and read it in its entirety.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shuji » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 am

I prefer the "To kill a mockingbird" flash animation with the pirates that ride on sharks. It makes you think about life.
Shuji

Postby IZ&Trigun4life » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:16 pm

Ah, i had to read that in 10th grade, and write an essay on symbolism. Got the highest grade in the class. Yes, it is a good book, movie is good too ^^.
Image "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."-Jeremiah 33:3
Yes I love my God, He is the fountain of life and my savior. He keeps me going day and night, without Him, I am no one, But with Him I can do everything, Christ is my strength

Adopted By:
Silvanis
Sakura's Wings
Tidus20

Adopted Neko Brother: Jaden Mental

*is still waiting for more offers lol*

Christians are not narrow minded. We are moral minded!

"My Heart Is Beeping....For The INVISIBLE CHILDREN"
IZ&Trigun4life

Postby knivesmominlaw » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Loved the book, loved the movie.

Yes, slow in points and court room scenes don't usually appeal to me. But it was done well and has so much good in it. Loved the characters.

As for them being hillbillies, I think one of the great messages is conveyed by Atticus in his patience and general respect for all of the social classes.

Still, I know how USSR Girl feels because I've lived in at least nine different states and some are easier to adjust to than others. But, each culture has good and bad points and we need to be looking for the good. I don't say that to be "politically correct", but because that's the attitude Christ had/has. I hate to think my cultural background could make me offensive to someone and hope folks would try to see the "me" behind it all, better yet "Christ in me".
knivesmominlaw

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:18 pm

We're being forced to read it right now... well we're finishing this week, probably one of the best books I've ever HAD to read
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Tommy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:33 pm

We're not forced to do anything, Josh.
We have a choice.

We just get a bad grade if we don't.

Excellent, well-written book that causes you to think.
Tommy

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 pm

It's a good read. It was the only book I ever couldn't put down. I mean, I've read plenty of books I enjoyed, but if I needed or wanted to, I could always bookmark them, shelve them, and do something else. Not so with Harper Lee.
Fish and Chips

Postby LittleTokyo91 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:07 pm

I read some of it for summer reading for school. I never finished it, because I ended up not going to that school. But I was close to finishing it. I think it was okay.
No one knows what goes on inside of your head
And everything seems to be ok.
And your the same as you've always been (your the same)
If I'd listened, would you have talked to me?

I don't wanna Let You Down,
But I can't even pick up myself.
I only wanted to make you proud,
But I don't think I can do this anymore.

When did this crowded room get so lonely?
And everyone keeps looking at me.
I'm tired (so tired) of faking my life
I'm so tired, I don't wanna feel this way.
-P.O.D.
LittleTokyo91

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm

Interestingly enough, I didn't know this was a classic, got-to-read-it-for-school book, because no one ever told me to read it. I ran across it in the library when I was a teen, and snuck it past my mom, because I thought she'd tell me it was too violent. =_=

Later she told me, "Oh yeah, that's a great book. I loved the movie." (!)

I liked the book a lot. (The movie was O.K.) I should probably read it again someday...
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Rachel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:11 pm

It's my favorite book.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby jorvaa » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:10 pm

I loved this book so much, not only for it's moral, but for it's fantastic style. I had borrowed it one summer along with a bunch of other books and I saved it for last because I thought I'd be bored by it. Not so. After the first page I had decided that this was my kinda book.
"The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell." - C.S. Lewis

[My LJ] - [My DA]
jorvaa

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:12 am

TKAM had to be one of the BEST books I've read. The movie was awesome too.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Taliesin » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:32 am

There's a movie?
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Yeah. With Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. The movie is so awesome! My mom loves it and so do I! XD
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Previous

Return to Book Corner