to kill a mockingbird

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

to kill a mockingbird

Postby rurouninaruto » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:41 am

i really like this book. i have barely begun it but i like it. who else likes it? definitley a well written book. :thumb:
rurouninaruto

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:25 am

This is my favorite book I've ever read for school... It's just so great on so many levels. I love seeing everything through Scout's eyes.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:31 pm

Yah read it for school... Its very good!

the giver was another awesome book I read for school!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby rurouninaruto » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:40 pm

the giver is a good book, too. for some reason it reminds me of fma.
rurouninaruto

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:21 pm

rurouninaruto wrote:the giver is a good book, too. for some reason it reminds me of fma.

yah some fo the same Ideas...

not to get to sidetracked...

I love dill (thats his name right) hes funny! and I can kinda connect withhim!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:44 pm

Harper Lee based Scout's father on her own father.It's also one of the top films of all time starring Gregory Peck.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:01 pm

We watched the movie in class, and it looked like it was good for it's time, but it has nothing on the book. The way Harper Lee writes with that kind of ironic innocence is just wonderful. I ended up liking the book so much that I got a copy from our school library when they were giving away old books.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:21 pm

The core theme of the books is very important, but sadly I found the book very boring and I couldn't identify with the characters at all. It didn't help that a good part of it took place in a court.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:57 am

Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:11 pm

It's one book I haven't read.I did read Catcher In The Rye once and was thoroughly bored.
mitsuki lover

Postby rurouninaruto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:51 am

It was so funny when it snowed! Scout thought the world was ending!
rurouninaruto

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:32 pm

TKAM is set in Georgia correct?
mitsuki lover

Postby rurouninaruto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:27 pm

It is set in Alabama, actually.
rurouninaruto

Postby oro! » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 pm

I had to read the book last year for school. I think my favorite part had nothing or not much to do with the plot development: I loved how the kids would play out these books every day and have all of these adventures based on rules, etc. 'coz it reminded me of when I was a kid(athough I still am).
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Myoti » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 am

Of all the 'classics' we've had to read in class, I did actually enjoy some of this, namely for the humour and irony (like when Scout got in trouble for writing cursive in class XD ).
Myoti

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:35 pm

Well I knew it was somewhere in the South.
btw:I wonder if that's where they got the idea to give Alexis' brother the name
Atticus in the English version of Yu-Gi-Oh GX.
mitsuki lover

Postby Puguni » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 pm

I really liked this book. :] I didn't have to read it for school, I read it on my own time and I enjoyed it.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby rurouninaruto » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:10 am

I'm reading it in my own spare time. I'm almost finished with it. They are having the Thanksgiving pagent in the book now. ^^

Poor Tom Robinson. :(
rurouninaruto

Postby rurouninaruto » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:01 am

I finished the book! I am going to watch the movie again! What a great book.
rurouninaruto

Postby AngelSakura » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:27 am

<<It's one book I haven't read.I did read Catcher In The Rye once and was thoroughly bored.>>
(slaughters you for dissing Catcher In The Rye)

Yaaaay To Kill A Mockingbird. Beautiful development, everything... I read it and then had to read it again for school, but that's okay. I saw the movie just recently and was slightly disappointed by the actor they had for Boo. Just...not Boo. Not frail enough, y'know?

[spoiler=the To Kill A Mockingbird movie]Anyone else notice the mega time-warp factor happening in the movie? Boo sews and folds Jem's pants in about five minutes and Tom Robinson is shot immediately after the trial. How was he even at the jail that fast? Not to mention the entire episode happening in the space of about one summer. Pssht. XD[/spoiler]
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Hinata » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:35 pm

Hmm, I just bought that book not long ago. I loved the movie and even named my chihuahua after Scout the little girl. I have other books on my list right now to read so I will read it after them. I am very excited about reading it.
Hinata

Postby USSRGirl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:42 pm

*BURNING HATRED FOR THIS BOOK* This was like one of the few non-Shakespeare books that I actually READ for school (I use cliffnotes and clever... uh... ***What's a word other than cheating?***...tactics). I don't appreciate being forced to read stuff off a list unless I want to, so I exercise my right of silent protest. Two Shakespeare plays were on my reading list last year so I read those and enjoyed them. Whatever possessed me to read To Kill a Mockingbird I'll never know. All I know is:

1.) I hate southern hillbillies (no offense meant to anyone in the south of course. :p )

2.) I hate hillbilly slang. A book written in bumpkin drowl is utterly unbearable.

3.) I hate stupid kids and I hate reading about their daily pointless lives.

4.) I...strongly dislike (there are few exceptions)... cliche plots about racism in the south. They're so over-used...

Other than that, WONDERFUL BOOK! Almost as fun as having teeth pulled. Yet another reason why I will continue to sparknote my book reports from now on...
USSRGirl

Postby Red Jester » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:08 pm

one of my favourites since grade school!
I <3 You! :jump: :jump:
[size=-2]they say a life of only sin is eternal bliss, but I'd prefer eternal life, eh? [size=84]((ignorance=ETERNAL BLISS))[/size] [/SIZE]
Red Jester

Postby Destiny » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 pm

It was pretty good...I liked it waaayyyyyy better then Catcher in the Rye at any rate. It was pretty cute and fun as far as reading for school goes!
Do you yearn for magic? Saint Cloud

The Page Turner Radio Play
:?:
Destiny

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:18 pm

when i first read this book, i thought it was pretty boring, very slow-paced, and just not the type of book that i would like to read. however, since it was a requirement at my school, i had to read it. it turns out that i liked it more than i thought i would. i don't LIKE it in particular but it's not one of my most hated books anymore...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Peregrine » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:44 pm

I, like so many others, had to read this for school. At first, I really didn't like it, but about halfway through the book I got hooked. I finished the rest of the book in 2 sittings, it would have been one, but I had to eat lunch. I liked how they were so interested in the stories they read.
Peregrine

Postby CobaltAngel » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:17 pm

This book was required reading for me two years in a row... but I still really like it. It was the least painful reading for freshman English and when I read it in my sophmore year I actaully ENJOYED it. :P I think I'd read it again, it really grasps the joys and pains of childhood, and touches on some deeper, thought provoking issues.

2.) I hate hillbilly slang.
Really? I know this sounds dorky, but I love it! Something about it is almost beautiful to me. I think that's part of what I like about this TKM.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Puguni » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:59 pm

USSRGirl wrote:*BURNING HATRED FOR THIS BOOK* This was like one of the few non-Shakespeare books that I actually READ for school (I use cliffnotes and clever... uh... ***What's a word other than cheating?***...tactics). I don't appreciate being forced to read stuff off a list unless I want to, so I exercise my right of silent protest. Two Shakespeare plays were on my reading list last year so I read those and enjoyed them. Whatever possessed me to read To Kill a Mockingbird I'll never know. All I know is:

1.) I hate southern hillbillies (no offense meant to anyone in the south of course. :p )

2.) I hate hillbilly slang. A book written in bumpkin drowl is utterly unbearable.

3.) I hate stupid kids and I hate reading about their daily pointless lives.

4.) I...strongly dislike (there are few exceptions)... cliche plots about racism in the south. They're so over-used...

Other than that, WONDERFUL BOOK! Almost as fun as having teeth pulled. Yet another reason why I will continue to sparknote my book reports from now on...

I think a simple, "I didn't like this book" would suffice. The statements you presented are offensive, whether you mean it or not. Maybe next time you could use more tact.

And using Spark Notes? For shame... :lol:
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:09 pm

Never read the book never seen the movie.
mitsuki lover

Postby Needle Noggin » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:16 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Never read the book never seen the movie.

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you keep it that way.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Next

Return to Book Corner