Eragon Rocks I Win You Lose!!!!!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Eragon

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:11 am

Christopher Paolini is so cool!!! He's Homeschooled too just like me. Am I going a little crazy? So does anyone else like Eragon or the sequal? The movie is coming out in two years I think. Ya does anyone else like Eragon? -and am I the only person ever that is homeschooled? Im asking in this site because Christians tend to be homeschooled more than others.

ERAGON WEBSITE>>> http://www.alagaesia.com/
-IM GONNA BE KING OF THE PIRATES!-
(Captain Monkey D. Luffy)

If you're a Christian put this phrase in your signature.

My Naruto Website: www.freewebs.com/narutoleaf
Monkey D Luffy

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:04 pm

But can he write anything else?
mitsuki lover

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:38 pm

Does he have to be able to write anything else?

Monkey D Luffy

Postby Ryusei » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:08 pm

Oooh, I love Eragon and Eldest! I thought the movie was coming out this winter... Hmm....
Anyway, I was homeschooled for 6 years (1st through 6th grade) but this is my second year back in public school. XD
"That's some good advice. Maybe I should write that down, frame it, and stick it up on my wall." - Colonel Karl Lichen Schubaltz (Zoids: Chaotic Century)

"I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours, I am Yours" - Casting Crowns ("Who Am I")
Ryusei

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:37 pm

Monkey D Luffy wrote:Does he have to be able to write anything else?

If he wants to be known for writing good books instead of derivative and bland ones, then yes.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:49 pm

Paolini may be homeschooled, but he's blatantly atheistic. And rather smug. And there are too many pararels between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in Eragon than what's good for it. It's a good book for his age, but fairly average in the fantasy genre as a whole.
bigsleepj

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:50 pm

He's Fifteen And He Has Written Almost 3 500 Page Award Winning Books! He Doesnt Need To Be Able To Write Anything Else! He's Probably Allreaddy Made Millions Off Of Those Books

Monkey D Luffy

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:22 pm

No, he was fifteen when he wrote Eragon. In the meantime he turned 23. :)

But I'm not sure what you mean with "He Doesnt Need To Be Able To Write Anything Else"? Off course he does. It's no good if an author writes just three books in his lifetime. Some people think that's an intellectual mark, though in truth it's pretentiousness.
bigsleepj

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:30 pm

Eragon was okay, in my opinion. Though, it wasn't all that great. Like bigsleepj said, it seemed too similar to LOTR and Star Wars. Besides, it kinda left me bored at some points since it was so predictable.

But to answer your homeschooling question: yes, there are other homeschoolers here. I'm one of them.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Mega.EXE » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:01 pm

I am a homeschooler too! and he also based it off someone else's book so it was a fanstory really. and the movie is Dec 15
Mega.EXE

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:05 pm

I don't know why Monkey D. Luffy has his knickers in a twist every time someone says Paolini needs to write something other than Eragon to prove he's a bone fide writer as that is what a good writer will do,write and keep on writing.If he doesn't write anything else then he is nothing more than what a lot of people all along have suspected him to be:a literary hack who some how got lucky the first time around.
It's when he can get out of the Eragon universe and start working on other types of novels that we will finally see wheter or not he can really walk the walk.
mitsuki lover

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Eragon was okay. I'm hoping the third will be better.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby SnowLeopard » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:36 pm

I've actually been in the same room as Chris Paolini, and he's really not smug. In fact, he sang "happy birthday" to one of his fans when she asked him to. (not me btw)
I liked Eragon, because as a former homeschooler myself, (that was a loooong time ago) his writing style was, I'm not sure how to put this, extreamly homeschooled. It wasn't so much the story, but the manner in which it was told that intregued me.

I agree with mitsuki lover. If Christopher Paolini starts to tell his own stories, and not the ones he's heard from childhood, then things will really get interesting

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby Monkey D Luffy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:I don't know why Monkey D. Luffy has his knickers in a twist every time someone says Paolini needs to write something other than Eragon to prove he's a bone fide writer as that is what a good writer will do,write and keep on writing.If he doesn't write anything else then he is nothing more than what a lot of people all along have suspected him to be:a literary hack who some how got lucky the first time around.
It's when he can get out of the Eragon universe and start working on other types of novels that we will finally see wheter or not he can really walk the walk.

HE DOESNT NEED TO BE ABLE TO WRITE ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE
HE'S PROBABLY A MULTI MILLIONARE AND HE CAN JUST LIVE HIS LIFE DOING ABSALUTELY WHAT EVER HE WANTS IDIOT!

Monkey D Luffy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:22 pm

Monkey D Luffy wrote:HE DOESNT NEED TO BE ABLE TO WRITE ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE
HE'S PROBABLY A MULTI MILLIONARE AND HE CAN JUST LIVE HIS LIFE DOING ABSALUTELY WHAT EVER HE WANTS IDIOT!

Um...I'm sure there's no reason to get so worked up about it. And I know there's no reason to call anyone an idiot. Keep it cool, man. o_o

Anyways, I've never read these books (my friends have, and love them), but it is good for an author to write works that he thought of himself, instead of works that were obviously inspired by stories that have been told a thousand times. Just an unbiased opinion...^_^;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:44 am

mitsuki lover wrote:I don't know why Monkey D. Luffy has his knickers in a twist every time someone says Paolini needs to write something other than Eragon to prove he's a bone fide writer

Well, that's the reason why. :p I think he's scared if Paolini tries to actually write something original, he'll fail miserably and everyone will realize, "Wow, this guy really sucks." So if he doesn't write anything else, they can keep saying he's "great" or whatever.

And yeah dude, there's no need for name calling on this board, okay?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:48 am

I think this thread has gotten slightly out of hand. But that's just me.

(thinking out loud) I just don't hope we alienate Monkey D Luffy from the forums.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:05 am

I agree... that Paolini's books are rubbish. So unoriginal and he needs to work more on his writing craft before getting published. And being a millionare doesn't mean squat if he's a dodgy writer, which he is. It just means he's got a lot of money.

SnowLeopard, that's actually really interesting since I've seen a number of interviews and Christopher seems like he has a huge ego.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:18 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:SnowLeopard, that's actually really interesting since I've seen a number of interviews and Christopher seems like he has a huge ego.

He might have a huge ego, then, but at least Snow Leopard's story shows that he at least treats his fans decently. :) Thinking your the best thing since sliced bread and treating your fans with respect is better than a writer with all the humility in the world who treats his fans like dirt. Doesn't mean I got to like his prose. :)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:20 am

Me either. Or his Paolini theology. (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:25 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Me either. Or his Paolini theology. (lol)

Or rahter, his atheology (is that a word? It should be!)
bigsleepj

Postby Miso_Chan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:05 am

Eragon is completely ripped from star wars...... I mean watch star wars and then read the books, you'll know what happens next because that's the starwars plot. just examine them carefully. and think about it, they're completely ripped.
Miso_Chan

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:18 pm

it was unoriginal and predictable.... heh... But I still want to read the sequel now!
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby SnowLeopard » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Me either. Or his Paolini theology. (lol)

Amen to that. :shake: :grin:

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby Mushishi » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm

bigsleepj wrote:Paolini may be homeschooled, but he's blatantly atheistic. And rather smug. And there are too many pararels between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in Eragon than what's good for it. It's a good book for his age, but fairly average in the fantasy genre as a whole.

You are too, too true, m'friend.

I read Eragon. Thought it was O.K.

Then I read Eldest. Up to about the point of where he went to Du Weldenvarden I was mildly enjoying it. Until Eragon pressed Oromis for the elves' religious belief.

AGNOSTICISM RANT OUT OF NOWHERE!!!

For about three pages or so, he laid out agnosticism and its pros. Right there, it hit me: this author is, like you've said, blatantly secular. I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner.

Now, don't get me wrong: I read my fair share of secular authors and some are half-decent. I'm fairly sure Terry Brooks is...and yet I love the Shannara series.

But that sort of a rant is just uncalled for. It was just screaming the author's belief. Blech.

On other points that you've said, his book and originality are strangers. The elven and dwarven languages are almost exact copies of the linguistics from Tolkein's creation. So, so many other parallels exist.

And I've seen his promo video for Eldest. Smug is a very appropriate word. Hehe.
God creates out of nothing. Wonderful, you say. Yes, to be sure, but he does what is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners.

-Soren Kierkegaard

Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa!

Haaa

umi no otoko nya you

Oki no kamome mo yoritsukano

oka no kakaa ga nakou to mo

dare ga toru yara ichiban mori

haa Danchone! Danchone!

haa tairyou da tairyou da!

In episode 11, first season of School Rumble, Harima reads Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. SUGOOOIIII!!!!!!!!

At least listen to the music.
Mushishi

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 pm

I read the first book...it was almost interesting...until I saw some obvious parallel plot lines from Raymond Feist's "Magician" series...

I'm too annoyed with the un-originalness of the first book to read any further...
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

I never thought I'd ever get to say this...

Postby Icarus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:12 pm

QtheQreater wrote:until I saw some obvious parallel plot lines from Raymond Feist's "Magician" series...

Apparently I need to read more.

I've read both of them, and neither really impressed me. While I couldn't point to certain things and say, "This came from another book," neither could I point to something and say "This is so cool!"

And if the books are ripped from Star Wars, then is the dragon R2-D2?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:34 pm

The cursed girl was freaky and really interesting and Angela was humourous, while Roran was the only well rounded character (and the only one I really cared about).
I grew to hate Eragon so much.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Wind » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 pm

Ummm... not to rile anyone but I actually thought the books were good

I had a question I am writing a novel that is loosely based on Lord of the Rings Should it be called uninspired and unoriginal

No I don't think so

but the Bible says there is nothing new under the sun

Just because he was inspired by something else doesn't mean it isn't a good book

but it just means that he was inspired by something great to make something else great

Also the Movie Comes out on December 15th 2006
F.K.A. JadeFox, HisuiKitsune
Quote= MrRogers 03:32 - politics have nothing to do with good pizza

chatbot 02:56 - Wind asks, did I kill the chat
My answer: Yes

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, is diamonddragon shatterproof??
My answer: Yes

Wind 01:55 - O.O

Wind 01:55 - noooooooo

chatbot 01:55 - Wind asks, Am I shatterproof?
My answer: No

DiamondDragon 01:57 - YAYS, I'M SHATTERPROOF!!!!!!!!

Sparx00 02:55 - Mean loaf is the loaf of the gods

Strafe 01:09 - I'm a hotcake
Strafe 01:10 - I am a very hot cake

rocklobster 01:17 - "What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish sometimes?"

Strafe 02:38 - ~EWWW BOYS ARE NASTYYYY!~
Wind

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:07 am

He wasn't just inspired by them, he got as close to plagarising them as is legally possible. Nothing new is under the sun, it's true. But these books just smack of lazyiness (in story ideas). I've read several interviews where he reads across the genres, a broad scope of books. Why didn't he use ideas from all of them then, and make them his own?
There's a huge difference between being inspired by something a plagarising something.
You say your writing a story 'loosely' based on Lord of the Rings? Good for you. Paoloni didn't write loosely. The only inspired parts of his book were Angela, Roran, the cursed girl and the R'zac (they were cool I admit) but even they paralleled the Ringwraiths to a dime.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Next

Return to Book Corner