Bestsellers you Didn't like

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Rachel » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:05 pm

I tried to read Lord of the Rings once, but I skipped the part with the perky dude in the woods and then when I got to the chapter The Council of Elrond, I got so bored I just quit reading it. Loved the movies though.

I didn't like the Great Gatsby because it was hard to understand. All the ridiculous metaphors about billboards with eyes were just too crazy. Watching the movie just made it harder to understand.

Heh, I read Of Mice and Men when I was like 12 and I didn't care much for it. When I was done reading it I was just like, "People actually like this book?! Man, I could've written something better."

Another book we had to read in school that I didn't like was My Antonia. I thought it was almost as dumb as Of Mice and Men. Also, Willa Cather books are just plain boring.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:25 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird. my gosh. this book is way too complex for kids my age. unless you're willing to give the time and effort to comprehend what the author is trying to tell you with her sense of humor and way of writing.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Technomancer » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Every Tom Clancy novel ever written, with the exception of 'Hunt for Red October'.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Maledicte » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Eragon. After only reading samples online, I already say I don't like it.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:21 am

Haha! Good for you SirThinks2Much!
Yes, Tom Clancy's stuff in general is pretty much Blah!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 am

Any book thats ever been a best seller that wasn't written by Neil Gaimen :D Oh and excluding books like Narnia and LOTR... and Jurassic Park

Everything else... garbage. Seems all the good books are books noones heard of much...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:16 am

Bit biased, eh Scarecrow? Have you tried Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Bit biased, eh Scarecrow? Have you tried Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti?

frank peretti. brrrrr. his stories may have christian themes, but they are pretty scary.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:10 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Bit biased, eh Scarecrow? Have you tried Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti?

Eh ok... I didn't mean exactly EVERYTHING... but generally I find most to come off the best seller list to be quite boring (and I'm not even sure what qualifies them as best seller... it seems every book is a #1 best seller even if its some book on how to make a salad)

And I do like Perettie but the Oath is about the only one I really cared for. Though I should try the Darkness books again... Monster sucked IMHO... I got bored halfway through it and it reminded me of this movie that used to play all the time on the Disney Channel back in the 80s... Loved the Oath though.

I'm really more into the fantasy/bizarre stuff and I love Neil Gaiman :P You know like those Sandman comics and such... (They're making movies based on his books Stardust and Coraline.. woot!)
Scarecrow

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:11 am

I didn't like The Da Vinci Code, not just for its view of Christianity and history, but because I personally found it boring.

One of the things I found disappointing was the simplicity of the cipher used to encrypt the secret.
Sammy Boy

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:43 pm

yes. i didn't like the da vinci code either. BECAUSE of its view of christianity.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:11 pm

Jonathan Livingston Seagull. But I date myself...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Rachel » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm

ClosetOtaku wrote:Jonathan Livingston Seagull. But I date myself...

ooooh I hated that book! When I was a junior our english teacher made us do this whole stupid thing involving that book about being ourselves and reaching our goals. It was ridiculous.

Rachel

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:18 am

Rachel wrote:ooooh I hated that book! When I was a junior our english teacher made us do this whole stupid thing involving that book about being ourselves and reaching our goals. It was ridiculous.

Must be one of those self-esteem freaks.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:09 pm

Oh yea I didn't like the Da Vinci Code iether much. I mean, I thought it was pretty good at first till about halfway when it just started getting boring. And the puzzles were so rediculously easy... you figure them out before the characters in most cases. So stupid....

And yea the anti-Christian slant didn't help much either.... But I still like the beginning when everythings starting... it just goes downhill quick after that...
Scarecrow

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm going to get so unpopular with this.

But...

....Gone with the Wind.

I tried to like it. The movie was kinda 'meh' for me, but I thought "well, the movies are never as good as the books (mostly), so I'm sure the book is better."

...It's not.

Don't get me wrong--it's well written. A bit slow, maybe (okay, more than a bit), but it IS well written.

But the characters are soooooo frusterating and annoying. The only character I liked at all dies at the end of the book. The rest of the characters--most of them, anyway--manage to make it through..but I kept wishing the union soldiers would come and kill them all. Particularly Scarlett and Rhett. Rhett's OK, I guess, just very egotistical. He has some redeeming features, but not enough to make me like him. Ashley wouldn't've been so bad if he had grown a spine and either refused to marry the girl he didn't want to in the first place, or stuck with his decision and refuse Scarlett's advances.

And Scarlett doesn't even really change by the end of the book. You'd think that, in, like, five years, going through a war, and three husbands, she would've grown up a little bit, but barely. Not really.

And since when is a rape romantic?

I just really, really, really dislike that book. XD

I'm not fond of Ender's Game, either...same thing, I didn't like any of the characters, kept wishing some aliens would come to kill them all....XD
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Esoteric » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:34 pm

Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy. A friend loaned me the books so I read them. Aside from not really enjoying his writing style very much, the ending was so...anti-climactic.
Esoteric

Postby JasonPratt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 am

I find it interesting that the LB books and TDVC tend to get lumped together. I guess they share some common characteristics. (Seriously, no irony intended: my first thought after reading TDVC a few years ago was 'Huh. Stylistically it's kind of like LB.' And that was the best _compliment_ I could give it.)

Anyway, um, ditto. {beam!} Don't like either one. I can come up with good things to say about them here and there. {trying to think of something} Er. Pacing structure is very good, on a chapter transitional basis anyway, for both of them; yep, I found Carpathia to be the most interesting character, and I'm quite sure I would have thought him the worst character in most other books... oddly, I thought his characterization was better in the first LB movie (but paradoxically DULLER!)

I know several people who adore King's Dark Tower series, but I honestly can't stand it. At all. Started trying to read the first book and gave up. Too... I dunno... wacky. I guess I like fantasy but not surreality. Books that read like a bad acid trip, my mind tends to reject on general principle.

The last King book I read that I liked much at all, was _The Tommyknockers_. And I was kind of struggling with liking parts of it. (See previous paragraph. {ironic g}) Haven't been able to even complete (much less start in most cases) any book of his since then.

I know a lot of people think Robert Jordan's _Wheel of Time_ series is vastly overrated. Hard to disagree with them at this point. And I'm a longtime _fan_ of the series. {sigh}

To the person who didn't like Perelandra: I don't especially recommend the other two. The stylism is about the same, and the poetic imagery of the first two books is largely lacking in the third (due to legitimate plot reasons, but still...) Personally I kind of like them, but they're definitely an acquired taste.

[SPOILER]Merlin, admittedly, completely rules as a character in THS; but then he has almost no screen time, including in his climactic action sequences. ARGH![/SPOILER]

And yes, even though I like the LOTR books myself, I used to have exactly the same problem with them as mentioned above: the plethora of photorealistic descriptions were something I had to learn to like on my, oh, fifth or sixth read through it, simply because I made myself attend to them. I wouldn't remove them now, but mainly because I know the story well enough to skip past them if I'm not in the mood to appreciate them. They can be tough going, otherwise. {sympathetically wry g}

Even though I love the main Clancy series, I do _NOT_ love the pacing (of anything after _Clear and Present Danger_ anyway). And I'm meh about most of the characters, too. I like the basic ideas, and what he does with those--eventually!--along with the two main protags. But I can easily see the protags being too uninteresting to many people, too.

Most novels ever recommended/required for school (eons ago when I was actually _in_ school), I loathed like leprosy. I did like the Odyssey (depending on the translation), but never could get into the Iliad.

To be perfectly honest, there are portions of the World's All-Time Reigning Best Seller that are pretty hard for me to chew through. {g} And that's with me recognizing and affirming not only its religious importance but its legitimate literary importance, too. (I totally agree that in this case whether I _like_ it or not, in a literary sense, is irrelevant. Especially because I also know it's entirely due to subjective taste in my case. Still... {shrug})

Didn't much care for _40 Days of Purpose_--cared even less for _The Seven People You Meet in Heaven_. 7Peap is probably purely a matter of taste; 40Days partly is, too, and partly for technical reasons (not to be gone into here).

I know I'm going to have _severe_ problems with Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy, whenever I get around to reading it (which I think I'm going to have to do eventually--professional reasons). But I'm hoping I'll at least like it as a literary work.
this message has been brought to you by
Bittersea Publications
in the owner's spare time {g!}

"For all shall be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if the salt becomes unsalty, with what will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another." -- Mark 9:49-50 (my candidate for most important overlooked verse in Scripture. {g})

"We must
be strong and brave--
our home
we've got to save!

We must make
the fighting cease,
so Mother Earth
will be at peace!

Through all the fire and the smoke,
we will never give up hope:
if we can win,
the Earth will survive--
we'll keep peace alive!" -- from the English lyrics to the closing theme of _Space Battleship Yamato_

"It _was_ harsh. Mirei didn't have anything that would soften it either." -- the surprisingly astute (I might even call it inspired {s!}) theological conclusion to Marie Brennan's _Doppleganger_ (Warner-Aspect, April 2006)
JasonPratt

Postby Hinata » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:33 pm

Hoot. (One of the biggest childrens books out right now.)
I was excited going into this book thinking it was going to be about saving owls and such. It was a great dissapointment when I found that the book was about a bare-footed homeless kid who runs alot...
I also thought the writing was terrible and annoying.
I absolutly hated this book and do NOT recommend it to anyone.
Hinata

Postby rocklobster » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:58 am

The movie version of Hoot is quite entertaining, however.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Animus Seed » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Any book thats ever been a best seller that wasn't written by Neil Gaimen :D Oh and excluding books like Narnia and LOTR... and Jurassic Park

Everything else... garbage. Seems all the good books are books noones heard of much...

You're a Gaiman fan?
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:06 am

shojoiscool2 wrote:LOTR- I cannot say how much I detest these books. I love the movies, but, the writing is so flowery and overly descriptive that I could not get into it. There was viturally no real interaction with the charactars, as mostly we followed them around in a sort of third person viewpoint. Far too much time was spent telling us about related but unnecessary history.

Perlandra- this is sci-fi allegory written by CS Lewis, it is wordy and hard to follow, love the Narnia books but this was painful to read

I wanted to hug you, then I wanted to kill you, all in a matter of seconds... I'm not all that into the LotR books (but it's because I fell asleep at the concil of elrond... like, 2 or 3 times) but Perelandra was my favorite book... See, while Narnia was made for Children, the Space Trilogy was made for adults. And, books for adults in that time had to be flowery with very large vocabularies...

Me, I'm more into telling stories than impressing people with eleven letter words... Still, Perelandra was the best explanation of the Garden of Eden I've ever seen...

Let me ask you this: Did you read the first book? You know that's the second book in a trilogy, right? I am, however, having a difficult time reading "That Hdeous Strength", the third book in that series... I'm having a "council of Elrond" issue with it... The waxing philisophical in Perelandra was fine, but the endless college politics is driving me crazy, and I haven't been able to pick up the book again...

Oh, and I didn't think the space trilogy was a best seller... I mean, Narnia, Mere Christianity, and Screwtape letters were Lewis's bestsellers. Not that many people have even HEARD of the Space Trilogy... When they do, it's a common mistake to not realize it IS a trilogy, and read the books out of order, which really can screw things up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Rachel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:06 pm

This is sort of off topic, but did y'all know that Iron Maiden has a song called "Out of The Silent Planet?"

Rachel

Previous

Return to Book Corner