Bestsellers you Didn't like

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Bestsellers you Didn't like

Postby Linksquest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 pm

What are some bestselling books that you ended up not liking after reading them?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Gaijin-- James Clavell
HP and the Order of the Pheonix
Da Vinci Code
Arnobius

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:33 pm

The DaVinci Code. Florf.

And Forever Odd.
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:58 am

"The Other Side of the Wind".

Starts out as one of the best books I've read and ends as the worst. That takes some doing. It just goes overboard and goes from nicely gothic to absurdly gothic.
bigsleepj

Postby Authority3000 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:17 am

The Left Behind Series - It was much to long in my opinion (12 Full-edition books), rather drawn out at some points, arguably overly detailed in its writing, and primarily focused on extremely dull events. On top of that, some beliefs, (primarily the Rapture) were forced upon you somewhat.

The DaVinci Code -
It's infamously blasphemous plot notwithstanding, the book was terribly written, it contained bountiful blatant grammatical errors that even a group of well educated high schoolers should have been easily able to detect and repair, and had several poorly structured segments and sentences as well. It's name (check the translation) is a perfect example of this.
Authority3000

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:09 am

Left Behind (the original book)- Why a book this atrociously written made it on the best seller list I do not know.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:16 am

Authority3000 wrote:The Left Behind Series - It was much to long in my opinion (12 Full-edition books), rather drawn out at some points, arguably overly detailed in its writing, and primarily focused on extremely dull events. On top of that, some beliefs, (primarily the Rapture) were forced upon you somewhat.

Not to mention its anti-Catholic stance. :rant:

Authority3000 wrote:The DaVinci Code - It's infamously blasphemous plot notwithstanding, the book was terribly written, it contained bountiful blatant grammatical errors that even a group of well educated high scholars should have been easily able to detect and repair, and had several poorly structured segments and sentences as well. It's name (check the translation) is a perfect example of this.

Not to mention it even got France's geography wrong. They almost wrote up a more correct version, I hear.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:04 am

The Left behind series, or what I could read of it with out attempting to throw the book out the window. It came off like an end times (overdoneus genreus) soap opera (overextendedus plotus, idioticus plotticus twisticus).

I would say da Vinci Code, but I never read it and I personally detest the author, which dosn't qualify me for the book.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Puritan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:27 am

Hmm. To avoid belaboring earlier points, I'll mention a couple other books. I really disliked "The Purpose Driven Life" for reasons I will not discuss here, I despised the "The Night's Dawn Trilogy" by Peter Hamilton because it was lewd and strange (although, oddly, recommended by a friend), reading "Demian" by Hermann Hesse made me feel dirty, and I abhored "As I Lay Dying" by Faulkner. Please note I am including a couple books considered "classics", as their sales have almost assuredly reached the bestselling level over time (due to students having to read them)
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Linksquest » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:35 am

I really loathed The Lovely Bones and only read it because I had heard it was "such a great book!" from my friends and because it was a bestseller.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:19 pm

The entire Left Behind series.The only interesting character is Carpathian and he's the villian!
mitsuki lover

Postby Rachel » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 pm

I really, really hated The War of the Worlds. It started out great, like really great, and then at the end , I was just like "Well that was a waste of three hours." It had such promise but then it was wasted.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:41 pm

Who'd a thunk the bacteria would save the world?
mitsuki lover

Postby Angel37 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:45 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:The entire Left Behind series.The only interesting character is Carpathian and he's the villian!

You know I really liked the beginning of the series but the end got stupid. Carpathia rocked though...which is sad XD.

I HATED the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It was so pointlessly dull!
Angel37

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:27 am

I think I should get rid of this comment... sorry if I offended anyone. It wasn't my goal.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:35 am

Hmm... This thread is going to be watched carefully. Let's keep the bashing to a minimum and continue on the current path of not descending into bickering.

* teh management *
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Sojourn, that's three words
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:19 am

Redwall. I never understood it
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mushishi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:38 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Redwall. I never understood it

*guffaws*

Was it because they were animals? I kind of grew on Jacques' books. Hehe.

Do 'classics' count? If so, Beyond Good and Evil. Bahah! But that's just because he's...well, Nietzsche. I'm not saying Friedrich wrote total crap (he did, after all, make philosophy popular). It's just hard to get around him being a blithering atheist.

I also can't stand any of Hemingway and Tolstoy. But there really isn't any reason behind that...^_^

Nowadays, The Inheritance Trilogy irritates me somewhat. I read the two books and thought it magnificent...then I sat back and thought about it for a while. Some things that got me was the blatant agnosticism rants Paolini threw in along with some unoriginality. I'm not saying you shouldn't read it! It's a good, average fantasy story. But nowhere near the caliber the critics praise it to be.
God creates out of nothing. Wonderful, you say. Yes, to be sure, but he does what is still more wonderful: he makes saints out of sinners.

-Soren Kierkegaard

Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa! Yoiyasa!

Haaa

umi no otoko nya you

Oki no kamome mo yoritsukano

oka no kakaa ga nakou to mo

dare ga toru yara ichiban mori

haa Danchone! Danchone!

haa tairyou da tairyou da!

In episode 11, first season of School Rumble, Harima reads Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. SUGOOOIIII!!!!!!!!

At least listen to the music.
Mushishi

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Angel37 wrote:I HATED the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It was so pointlessly dull!

I hate it too
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm not sure if Wuthering Heights was a best-seller or not (it was at least a classic), but I recently read it, and I didn't find anything appealing about it at all. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby shojoiscool2 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 pm

LOTR- I cannot say how much I detest these books. I love the movies, but, the writing is so flowery and overly descriptive that I could not get into it. There was viturally no real interaction with the charactars, as mostly we followed them around in a sort of third person viewpoint. Far too much time was spent telling us about related but unnecessary history.

Perlandra- this is sci-fi allegory written by CS Lewis, it is wordy and hard to follow, love the Narnia books but this was painful to read
shojoiscool2

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:40 am

Hmm, just about every romance novel I've seen is a best seller and I can say that I hate those XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:50 pm

shojoiscool2 wrote:LOTR- I cannot say how much I detest these books. I love the movies, but, the writing is so flowery and overly descriptive that I could not get into it. There was viturally no real interaction with the charactars, as mostly we followed them around in a sort of third person viewpoint. Far too much time was spent telling us about related but unnecessary history.

Perlandra- this is sci-fi allegory written by CS Lewis, it is wordy and hard to follow, love the Narnia books but this was painful to read

Have you tried Out of the Silent Planet and That Hideous Strength as well or did you read Perelandra on it's on?
mitsuki lover

Postby HisaishiFan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:12 pm

DaVinci Code - due to the fact that it is just plain silly and badly written (the mystery shouldn't be that easy to figure out, and all the art and history errors were distracting)

As has been said by many others, the ENTIRE Left Behind Series - due to the badly written one-dimensional characters, anti-Catholic, horrid characterizations of women and minorities, I could go on but I won't - it is just so completely bad!

Cell - I think Stephen King may have just run out of plots
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby HisaishiFan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:13 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:I'm not sure if Wuthering Heights was a best-seller or not (it was at least a classic), but I recently read it, and I didn't find anything appealing about it at all. XD

I never did either.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Animus Seed » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:29 pm

HisaishiFan wrote:Cell - I think Stephen King may have just run out of plots

Anything with King's name on it I detest. However, with Cell, it's like he's deliberatly exaggerating his stupid best-selling ideas just to taunt me.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Is it just me, or is that every time I vent my detestation for King, the thread dies?

Interesting choice for a 125th post...
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Technomancer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:02 pm

Cell - I think Stephen King may have just run out of plots

This presupposes that any of said plots were actually good to begin with.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Myoti » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:38 am

Many of the 'classics' we had to read in class, such as "Of Mice and Men" (aggravated more on all the cussing and sad ending than the actual writing, though) and "The Great Gatsby" (to me, it seemed like pretty much everyone in the book were just psychopaths). Numerous others would fit in, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Redwall. I never understood it

I liked the concept of the books, but his more recent ones are starting to become a bit redundant.

I liked the Perlandra series, but yes, it was a bit difficult to get through.
Myoti

Next

Return to Book Corner