Forgot the Book! Help!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Forgot the Book! Help!

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:24 am

This thread will hopefully aid people in finding a book that they may have forgotten (as in the title.) Hopefully those of you who have read one of the books that people describe will be able to aid in the rediscovery of them!

I totally can't remember the name of a book and I loved it when I read it. I can recount the story's main events but I can't remember the title! How sad is that? :lol:

Here is what happened. It was an adventure/sci-fi story with a boy and a girl. It started off with the boy and his family being "rescued" by aliens because their house was flooding or something. The aliens were really silver robotic orbs. Their leader was a golden robotic orb.

On the planet that they are located, if you eat a purple fruit and the soil of a planet you will become that main creature from that planet. The boy eats the soil from the planet he is currently on with the purple fruit and becomes an alien creature with one giant eye that can see 360 degrees.

The alien inhiabitants (not the robotic orbs) that used to live on the planet, the boy learns, were all destroyed at once with a White Hole (as opposed to a black hole).

The boy becomes human again by eating the dirt off of his shoe with the purple fruit.

PLEASE! HELP ME!!!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Icarus » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Blast it, and I read that story too.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:06 pm

Icarus wrote:Blast it, and I read that story too.

Really?!

Siiigh... I need to know what this book is... it's been bothering me for years!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Sounds quite trippy O_o

I tried Googling some of the keywords but nothing's coming up. I don't suppose mebbe you can remember any of the names of the characters, alien races or planets? Anything that could be used as a keyword.

*is up for the challenge, huzzah!*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:41 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Sounds quite trippy O_o

I tried Googling some of the keywords but nothing's coming up. I don't suppose mebbe you can remember any of the names of the characters, alien races or planets? Anything that could be used as a keyword.

*is up for the challenge, huzzah!*

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this. I have already tried for countless hours upon countless hours to google the keywords such as "purple fruit" "silver orb" "white hole" etc... but nothing seems to work!

It's like this book DOESN'T want me to find it! hehe
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:45 pm

Hmm...What did the cover look like? Was the author male or female? When was it written and published? Was it part of a series? Was it Adult or Young Adult?
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:53 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:Hmm...What did the cover look like? Was the author male or female? When was it written and published? Was it part of a series? Was it Adult or Young Adult?

I don't know what the cover looked like, the author was Male I believe, I have no idea when it was written or published but I read it in the mid 90s if that helps... I think it was a stand alone book... Young adult
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 pm

*blinks* If it hadn't been for the corroberation, I would question if this wasn't a dream. :lol:

Good luck. And good idea. :thumb:
Mithrandir

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:48 am

*sighs* I got nothin'. I've hit Google, Amazon, the local library website and several other book sites.

And dare to call myself a bookworm! *skulks away*

I wish you the best of luck in finding it LQ ^^

the_lizardqueen

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Never heard of it,but I remember a similiar story from when I was in Junior High or
so about a colony on Mars where they slowly turned into the Martians.
mitsuki lover

Postby Linksquest » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:49 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:*sighs* I got nothin'. I've hit Google, Amazon, the local library website and several other book sites.

And dare to call myself a bookworm! *skulks away*

I wish you the best of luck in finding it LQ ^^

Thanks so much for trying though :hug:
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby spiritusvult » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 pm

Perhaps if you could remember the exact name of the aliens, or even so much as four consecutive words from the book (a quote of four words or more) then it would be possible to find. However, given the ambiguity of your recollection... "The net is vast...."
“Passion without form consumes itself.â€
spiritusvult

Postby QtheQreater » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:06 pm

Sorry LQ, I tried. Looked it up on a book finding site by genre/plot and some other stuff from what you described. There were so many to dig through...
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Angel37 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:17 pm

I'm actually looking for a story read to me by my 4th grade teacher called "The Peppermint Parlor". However, I've no idea who it's by and no library seems to carry it! X(
Angel37

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:41 am

I forwarded this on to a few friends of mine who are avid readers. Perhaps one of them will come back with a positive result.
Mithrandir

Postby QtheQreater » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 pm

Angel37 wrote:I'm actually looking for a story read to me by my 4th grade teacher called "The Peppermint Parlor". However, I've no idea who it's by and no library seems to carry it! X(

Couldn't find anything called "The Peppermint Parlor" anywhere...except restaurants...
Was it "Peppermints in the Parlor"? There's a childrens book by that name by Barbara Brooks Wallace.
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby soul alive » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:10 am

Linksquest, my best guess is that it might be a Bruce Corville book... he writes young adult sci-fi books about aliens with pretty zany plots. Other than that, I have no idea.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Return to Book Corner