[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Ray Bradbury - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Ray Bradbury

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Ray Bradbury

Postby Linksquest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:10 am

Ray Bradbury is my all time favorite Sci-fi writer. His ideas are so unique and his writing style is amazing.

Right Now I am reading the Illustrated Man. I have already read his masterpiece the Martian Chronicles and I'm sure most of you have read/heard of Fahrenheit 451

What do ya'll think?
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby TallasLint » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:04 am

I love Ray Bradbury! Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books! I've also read Martian Chronicles and one of his short stories "A Sound of Thunder" I've also read one of his newer books, something like "to the Dust Returned" I can't remember exactly...that book was really weird...
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby Tancos » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:04 am

He was my favorite writer for several years when I was in school, and I have at least a foot of his books on my shelves. Besides the titles already listed, I particularly enjoyed Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Tancos

Postby Puritan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:18 am

He is an excellent author, although I find I can't read too much of his stuff at once as everything is melancholy. His stories all feel (to me) like they take place in the fall, they are generally chill and somewhat bleak, but interesting as well. I am also a fan if Dandelion Wine, The Martian Chronicles, and Fahrenheit 451. I really enjoyed a short story he wrote (I can't remember the title) about a guy who pretended to be Charles Dickens in the 1920's.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:22 pm

I perfer Heinlein myself.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:04 pm

"The Cold Equations" was one of the first real science fiction stories that I read, and it left a significant impact on me, at the young age that I read it. Since then, I've read a fair amount of his other work which I have liked to varying degrees. But he is certainly a good author.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tancos » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:32 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:"The Cold Equations" was one of the first real science fiction stories that I read, and it left a significant impact on me, at the young age that I read it. Since then, I've read a fair amount of his other work which I have liked to varying degrees. But he is certainly a good author.

"The Cold Equations" was actually by Tom Godwin.
Tancos

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I've read "Fahrenheit 451" and enjoyed it. However I can't say I was impressed with "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and haven't finished it. To me it sounds like he's trying too hard.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Tancos wrote:"The Cold Equations" was actually by Tom Godwin.

Hm. Interesting that I've been associating that title with Ray Bradbury for years. It was likely a misconception I developed at that age that was never corrected and became more entrenched over time.

In any case, I read Fahrenheit 451 fairly early as well and generally liked it. But there are a fair number of other titles he wrote that I've never touched.
uc pseudonym

Postby USSRGirl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:25 pm

:: Walks in :::

Fahrenheit 451 ROCKS!!!!!! I LOVE DICTATOR FICTION!!!

:: Walks back out ::

P.S. On a serious note, it was a very good book. I particularly liked the ending message that Montague and the book people are simply holding on until Christ comes. Very interesting book. Anyone see the HORRIBLE 60's movie adaptation? If you haven't...don't. It's nothing like the book. Also, I heard Mel Gibson has been thinking about doing a remake for some time now but he got distracted with The Passion film.
USSRGirl

Postby BigZam » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:33 pm

ah i love Ray Bradbury. i've read A Graveyard For Lunatics, The Martian Chronicles (my favorite), Green Shadows, White Whale, and right now i'm working on The Toynbee Convector and then i'm gonna start The Illustrated Man.
gone for good...
BigZam

Return to Book Corner