What's on your summer reading list?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

What's on your summer reading list?

Postby Technomancer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:49 am

Now that summer is rolling around, are there any books that you're planning to read? Here's my own list:

The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose

The Unyielding Clamour of the Night by Neil Bissandooth

A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul

Vellum: The Book of all Hours V.1 by Hal Duncan

The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch by Terry Pratchett, et al.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Sai » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Uhh... I hadn't really thought about that yet. Probably Dr. Jekell and Mr Hyde, the rest of Don Quixote... That's all I can think of right now.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby KBMaster » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:48 am

I'm going to read anything and everything I can. I don't really read more in summer than I do in the school year. I'm homeschooled, so instead of literature, my mom lets me read novels and such. It works, I read thirty+ books last year. I want to read House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker, but I have nooo idea when it's coming out. And if it is out, then neither my library nor our surrounding libraries have them.
KBMaster

Postby Kaori » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:11 pm

I am fairly certain to read these books, since I am borrowing them from my roommate for the summer:

G. K. Chesterton The Man who was Thursday

William Morris The Wood Beyond the World

Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter (the collected stories), Cloud of Witnesses

E. Nesbit The Enchanted Castle

Prosper Mérimée Carmen and Other Stories

There are other books that I am likely to read over the summer because I own them but have yet to read them: Pascal's Pensées, the collected fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen, and most of the Mabinogion.

Additionally, I will almost certainly be reading some literature, but I haven't decided what yet.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby rii namuras » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 pm

(I will have an unconventional summer reading list, which I will decide once the debate topic is announced June 9thish. Then I will be writing a source book, which will involve lots and lots of research, and therefore lots and lots of reading. Yay, summer reading assignments and making money at the same time.)
rii namuras

Postby Silent Hunter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Davis Bunn - The Lazarous Trap (btw - Imposter is an excellent book!)
?author? - Blue Like Jazz
Ted Dekker - Three, Black, Red,& White
Agatha Christie - Sparkling Cyanide
(and hopefully a plethora of Manga titles)

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Terry Pratchett, more Terry Pratchett and a good helping of even more Terry Pratchett on top of it all ^^

I read Wee Free Men last summer and absolutely had to get my hands on the actual Discworld series. But I only managed to track down the first two books, The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. I'm not sure where to go from here but I need more.

I've heard that the Witches novels are pretty good, if I can figure out where they start. *shrugs*
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:03 am

the_lizardqueen wrote:I've heard that the Witches novels are pretty good, if I can figure out where they start. *shrugs*

'Wyrd Sisters'. The first nove with Granny Weatherwax in it though was 'Equal Rites'
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Sadly, I have fairly little in terms of a reading list. I hope to run across some good titles. Meanwhile, I do have the following, though I am uncertain when I will be able to find them:
The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Christ in Culture by Richard Niebuhr
The Man who was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

I may also pursue the works of Thomas Merton. If I have the opportunity I will read some more of Terry Pratchett's series as well.

Technomancer wrote:The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch by Terry Pratchett, et al.

Interesting. You may not know the answer to this question yet, but answer if you do: is this book typical Discworld fare, or is it different? I assume that Pratchett obtained coauthors with credentials for a reason.

KBMaster wrote:I want to read House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker, but I have nooo idea when it's coming out. And if it is out, then neither my library nor our surrounding libraries have them.

It is already out, yes. Given how popular it is, however, I am not certain how fast the average library would be able to obtain a copy.

Donald Miller wrote:?author? - Blue Like Jazz

The author is Donald Miller.
uc pseudonym

Postby Wave » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:05 pm

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calulus
Any manga I can get my hands on.
Any book on C progaming that I can get my hands on.

wave.
••• ––– •••

You have heard that the law of Moses says "Do not commit adultry." But I say, anyone who even looks at a women with lust in his eys has already committed adultery with her in his heart
Mathew 5:27-29
Wave

Postby FarmGirl » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Whatever looks interesting at the library.
Last time I tried to make a list... it didn't go well.
Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
FarmGirl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:04 pm

Well, I'll have my school's reading list to put up with soon, but as for books I actually want to read, here's a small list...

Finish DragonQuest, by Donita K. Paul, first of all..XD
DragonKnight, by Donita K. Paul (June 20th!)
Messenger, by Lois Lowry
The Silent Boy, by Lois Lowry
Tales from Jabba's Palace, various authors
Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, various authors

That's quite a few, and it probably won't happen. XD I'll also be reading whatever manga come into my possession, but I figured this thread was geared more towards novels and such. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby soul alive » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:00 pm

I plan on reading LOTS this summer. I mean, I read 7 books over spring break, and that was less than a week long, so just imagine may to august... o_O;;

Pre-planned reading (aka, I bough the book months/year ago but haven't read yet...):
-finish Enemies With Smiling Faces: Defeating the Subtle Threats That Endanger Christians by Donald C. Posterski
-Provocative Faith: Walking Away from Ordinary by Matthew Paul Turner
-Tramp for the Lord by Corrie ten Boom
-The Marriage Wish by Dee Henderson
-finish Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Would like to read (aka, I don't know if my library will have them):
-Monster by Frank Peretti
-anything by Ted Dekker
-finish the rest of House of Winslow series by Gilbert Morris

So, my list is looking really ambitious, but I think I can do it. XD
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue May 02, 2006 1:49 pm

I have no idea what I am going to read.Although one of these days I really ought to finish the Robotech novels in the library by reading the two I haven't read yet.
Although I am loath to read Sentinels because of Minmei's fate.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 02, 2006 1:57 pm

I recently (last night) received another recommendation I will attempt to pursue once I return home. My friend said I'd enjoy it, though he particularly noted it for its narrative style.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed May 03, 2006 2:06 pm

Usually Summer is when I perfer to read lighter works like Terry Pratchett.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sweet Mercury » Wed May 03, 2006 3:47 pm

I have a habit of buying books much faster than I can read them, so right now I have a fairly large pile of books just waiting to be read.

At the top of the queue, for now:

St. Thomas’ Proofs of God’s Existence, from the Summa Theologica - Thomas Aquinas (a short excerpt from a much larger work)

Life of Pi - Yann Martel (at UC's suggestion)

A Discourse on Inequality - J.J. Rouseau

Amerika - Franz Kafka

and several others.

UC: You should be able to find The Meditations on Amazon.com for around 8 dollars. Also, the other two you mentioned were each on there for about 10.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby Maledicte » Wed May 03, 2006 11:11 pm

Re-reading:
The Oath by Frank Peretti
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
Those who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly
A Taste for Death by P. D. James

Reading:
House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker
Heretic by Bernard Cornwell
The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas
Tai-Pan by James Clavell
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
God-Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert
Polar Star by Martin Cruz Smith

Finishing:
Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Wed May 03, 2006 11:22 pm

UC Pseudonym wrote:The Man who was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

You should let me know what you think about it when you're done! :)

My Winter reading list includes
• Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky
• The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett
• Time and Punishment by Dostoevsky
• Phantastes by George MacDonald
• Lord of the Rings by that Tolkien fellow (reread)
bigsleepj

Postby DrNic » Thu May 04, 2006 4:45 am

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

...but thats probably gonna take me through till NEXT summer. I'm sooooo slow at reading :S
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Puritan » Thu May 04, 2006 6:04 am

bigsleepj wrote:• Phantastes by George MacDonald

Now THAT is one of the best books I have ever read. It's strange (in a good way), and the writing is sometimes a bit stilted, but the book is excellent. George MacDonald also wrote Lilith, which is in a similar style and also a classic.

Over the summer I am going to try to finish Calvin's "Institutes of the Christian Religion," which I find to be interesting but so dense that it's taken me a great deal of time to get through. I'd also like to read a couple of Jonathan Edward's works, including "Religious Affections," finish "The Theology of the Body" by Pope John Paul, and probably read a few sci-fi books for light entertainment.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Technomancer wrote:'Wyrd Sisters'. The first nove with Granny Weatherwax in it though was 'Equal Rites'

I actually just found 'The Witches Abroad' at the local library and grabbed it. Do you think it be completely confusing and spoilerific to read it without having read any of the prior books?
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Sweet Mercury wrote:UC: You should be able to find The Meditations on Amazon.com for around 8 dollars. Also, the other two you mentioned were each on there for about 10.

Thank you for the tip, but the problem is mostly that I'm not the buying type. I tend to borrow all my reading, either from a friend or a library.

bigsleepj wrote:You should let me know what you think about it when you're done!

Trust me, I will.

the_lizardqueen wrote:I actually just found 'The Witches Abroad' at the local library and grabbed it. Do you think it be completely confusing and spoilerific to read it without having read any of the prior books?

I have not read that specific title, but as someone who read the series in a completely random order, I will say this: generally you can understand every book on its own, but will appreciate the references and characters more with a broader understanding.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Fri May 05, 2006 8:33 am

UC's pretty much correct. All but two of the books are completely stand alone novels. You can read them in pretty much any order and still appreciate the plot and the characters just fine. You might miss a little bit about the background of the characters, but that's a minor problem and not at all essential to the plot.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Sweet Mercury » Fri May 05, 2006 12:15 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Thank you for the tip, but the problem is mostly that I'm not the buying type. I tend to borrow all my reading, either from a friend or a library.
Ah I see.

I tend to buy, as I have a habit of dog-earing, highlighting, underlining, and annotating my non-fiction to make later referencing easier.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby Knives » Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

I am planning on reading some cyberpunk (dont know what...)
Some agatha christie (again, I dont know which ones)
and reading the 1632 book and its sequels.
Knives

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Regarding my list: I'm midway through one book, and I hope to pick up The Man Who Was Thursday to read while traveling later this month. My reading has been sporadic, due to other activities as well as new books that I have run across.

Sweet Mercury wrote:I tend to buy, as I have a habit of dog-earing, highlighting, underlining, and annotating my non-fiction to make later referencing easier.

Then thank you for buying. I have a copy of The Meditations, but someone has made all kinds of marks and notes on it. The odd thing is that they seem to star notes that I don't find particularly interesting, and completely ignore the ones I've liked most. I'll give you my full thoughts later, of course.
uc pseudonym

Postby Linksquest » Tue May 16, 2006 1:45 pm

I don't have one cause I'm gonna be graduated! Yay!

But I have long lists of books that I am meaning to read... because I want to. Prolly some L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, and some C.S. Lewis as well as some Fantasy and Juv Fiction books.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby MomoAdachi » Tue May 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley High, and still more Sweet Valley High.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Return to Book Corner