Through Gates of Splendor (book related to End of the Spear)

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Through Gates of Splendor (book related to End of the Spear)

Postby Jaltus-bot » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:42 pm

I've just finished reading Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot. It's a great book. I just read 70 pages of it today.

On the back:
In Najuary 1956, a tragic story flooded headlines around the world. Five men, spurred by a passion to share the good news of Jesus Christ, ventured deep into the jungles of Ecuador. Thier goal: to make contact with an isolated tribe whose previous response to the outside world had been to attack all strangers.

At an agreed-upon time, their five young wives sat by their radios waiting for a message that never came...

Through Gates of Splendor, the story of Nate Saint, Roger Youderian, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming, and Jim Elliot, was first recorded in 1956 by Jim's widow, Elisabeth. Decades later, its story of unconditional love and complete obedience to God still inspires new readers.

Nate Saint is also the father of Steve Saint who wrote End of the Spear, which after reading this book would contain some familiar names.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:59 pm

Through Gates Of Splendor is one of the most famous missionary biographies of the 20th century.The title comes from the hymn set to Finlandia by Sibelius.If you saw Christianity Today a few months back they had an update about some of the Christian 'Aucas'.Interesting that they're now going overseas to places like India to help teach and spread the Gospel.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner