Sci fi dilemma

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Sci fi dilemma

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:25 am

i've been really wanting some books to read lately, and my favorte genre is sci-fi. the sci i books i have already read are as follows:

heir to the empire, dark forces rising, last command
specter of the past, vision of the future
survior's quest
hmm... prety much all of the star wars books except for the new jedi order series
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
i robot
i've read a few other books by Isaac Amostov, but cant remeber which ones
war of the worlds, the time machine

anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for new sci-fi to read?

here are some of the books i've been looking at getting:
timothy Zahn's conqueror's trilogy
cobra trlogy
or the icarus hunt perhaps
2001 a space odyssey

any suggestions about these books would be helpful as well. obrigado in advance!
TurkishMonky

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:40 pm

I'd recommend the Dune series, at least books one through three, by Frank Herbert. Also the Legends of Dune trilogy by his son, Brian J. Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

If you like goofy sci-fi I'd recommend Jed the Dead by Alan Dean Foster.
Maledicte

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 am

thanks! i'll have to look into those.
TurkishMonky

Postby Scribs » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:11 am

THe New Jedi Order is really good in that it uses characters, and locations from all the other star wars series, and really seems to tie the whole thing together.

If you get 2001, get it from a library. It is a quick read, and isnt one you will probably want to read multiple times.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Anti-me » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:23 pm

Have you ever considered Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? That is a classic, though I'd watch out for some language. He has a whole series to go after that book too that has won awards
Anti-me

Postby creed4 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:32 pm

Double helix by Breuer(Sp)
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Maledicte » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 pm

creed4 wrote:Double helix by Breuer(Sp)

I think that's Sigmund Brouwer. It's a contemporary sci-fi mystery. With clones and stuff. Yeah.
Maledicte

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:35 am

cool. i'll try to check all of these out!

BTW, i'm currently reading Zahn's conquerors trilogy, and loving it so far. the first bok is from the human's perspective, and the second one continues the story from an alien POV. very interesting.
TurkishMonky

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:34 am

Hm, most of my recommendations have been taken. The only other thing I would add is that if you like science fiction short stories, these exist in abundance.

Scribs wrote:If you get 2001, get it from a library. It is a quick read, and isnt one you will probably want to read multiple times.

This is good advice. The same applies for the rest of the series. While the books are interesting, they're pretty thin in terms of writing and probably won't last you much longer than a day. Also, never see the movie of the first.

Anti-me wrote:Have you ever considered Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? That is a classic, though I'd watch out for some language. He has a whole series to go after that book too that has won awards

I would agree that at least the first book is worth reading.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukinon » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:20 am

I haven't read it, but I've heard good stuff about Ender's Game.

I'd suggest Shade's Children by Garth Nix and also anything by William Sleator.

Neither are really 'hardcore' science fiction, but they're fun and interesting.

I've also heard good things about Philip K. Dick.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Scribs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Though not generally the first thing to come to mind when one is considering sci fi, the works of Michael Crichton are excellent reads. Despite the fact that the occurences in most of his books are impossible, he makes them seem realistic by baseing the ideas on real science and explaining it through the course of the books. I highly recomend Jurrasic Park and Timeline (avoid the movie versian of Timeline; it is nothing like the book, and not worth anyones time.)
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Puritan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Ever read Heinlein's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or "Starship Troopers" ? Both are excellent books (although the morals, or lack therof, of the characters in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" are really wierd). I would also recommend "A Canticle for Liebowitz" by Walter Miller and "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury, two more of my favorite sci-fi books.
Puritan

Postby yukinon » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:12 am

Is the same Starship Troopers the movie is based off of?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:13 am

I second Scribs for Michael Crichton's Timeline. Easy read, great book. Also the only story I know where someone get's spat to death.

Which is why I haven't seen the movie, because of the lack of spit-violence.
Maledicte

Postby Puritan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:50 am

The Starship troopers movie has NOTHING to do with the book, besides some minor setting stuff. The book is a socio-political analysis done in a sci-fi setting, it's a wonderfully brilliant book. And the best part about it is that it talks about the socio-political atributes of the military in an understandable and interesting manner, without being preachy or boring. Also, the book itself is also a great military sci-fi action book. The little I have seen of the movie indicated it sucked. Badly.
Puritan

Return to Book Corner