[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Jeff Smith's "Bone" - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Jeff Smith's "Bone"

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Jeff Smith's "Bone"

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:08 am

I recently read this and enjoyed it! Its is one of the best comic-book series' I've read. I recently purchased the 1300 single volume edition and I enjoyed it immensely. It is interesting to see that the author obviously didn't just start writing but that he had the entire plot well thought out before he began introducing the elements. And I like the combination of "old style" comic strip characters and the more detailed caricature-like drawings of the people of the valley. And, off course, those stupid, stupid rat-creatures.

What were your thoughts on it?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:51 am

I've only read Volume 9 and was confused by it. I enjoyed the simplistic style of drawings but didn't think they meshed well with the more realistic characters and the complex plot etc. I should see if my library has all of them. Then I'll have more of a basis to comment.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:06 am

Considering that volume 9 is the last book and that its all one long plot arc, then I'm not really surprised that you didn't understand it. It gets complicated towards the end, but it would have been more clear if you've read what came before. No offence, but you were asking to be confused. ;)

I enjoyed the simplistic style of drawings but didn't think they meshed well with the more realistic characters and the complex plot etc.

As for the purpose of that odd artistic decision in context of the story, I think it just accentuates the fact that the Bones are outsiders in the valley and that they are not native to the same "world" as Thorn and the others.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:23 am

Okay J, will do. I checked my local library and they have the rest of the series on order. Will borrow them when they come in. But I don't get their logic. Why buy the last volume before all the others? (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Zane » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:20 pm

Thats libraries for you :)

Luckly (or sadly) the series is over so that you don't have to continue buying them and have the end in sight when you start.. unlike many Marvel and DC series.

I've read the 1st and then a couple in the last trilogy (ghost circles), so I know the general story outline. And I must say it has been good fun to see the story grow from a simple lost trio of Bones finding their way into a huge plot development.
I like it how it has taken off considering its only black and white.
Zane

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Zane wrote:I've read the 1st and then a couple in the last trilogy (ghost circles), so I know the general story outline. And I must say it has been good fun to see the story grow from a simple lost trio of Bones finding their way into a huge plot development.
I like it how it has taken off considering its only black and white.

The author has published the series independantly over the last 12 years or so (in my limited research). If you've read through all of it you'll see that many of his ideas have been fully formed by the time he started writing it - he did not start with a kernal of an idea that grew bigger as he went along but had most of it plotted out well before starting. That is an impressive feat for a writer, I must say.
bigsleepj

Postby CreatureArt » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:19 am

bigsleepj wrote:he did not start with a kernal of an idea that grew bigger as he went along but had most of it plotted out well before starting. That is an impressive feat for a writer, I must say.

I agree.

I've read a few of the series - like W4J, the ones I've found in the library, and though I haven't been able to read them in order or even read that many at all I have enjoyed what I read and I quite like the simplistic style of the bones compared with many of the other creatures. I quite liked the story, though I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I was able to read the entire series, and in its official order, too. ;)
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 am

At first I thought I had never heard of this series, but in retrospect I realize that I have indeed read one volume (not the first). I cannot say that I was particularly impressed, but I do very much appreciate author's who have their stories planned.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:24 pm

I have Out Of Boneville.
Thorn's really sweet as well as beautiful. :dance:
My favorite parts were when Fone Bone tries to tell others about the
Dragon and no-one believes him and the Dragon keeps popping up.
At one point he jokingly tells Fone the reason he's doing it is that
he wants Thorn:"To think you're crazy!" :lol:
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:01 pm

My library has the single complete volume. (Bigger'n Blankets!) I ought to pick it up, once I have the time. I've breezed through the first volume before, found it interesting but I wasn't exactly in the mood then.
Maledicte

Postby Myoti » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:39 pm

I had heard about it in Time magazine and picked up the complete volume at the Library (it's... HUGE!!!).

I actually quite enjoyed it and was surprised and how it felt more like an "adult" read with the way some of the characters appeared to be.

"Stupid, stupid rat creatures!"

"I want quishe!!!"

Strange how I was thinking of starting this thread last night... XO
Myoti

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:18 pm

I love Bone! I have all nine volumes (1-6 in hardcover) but since I just bought the last 3 recently I haven't read those yet. One of my favorite things about this series is that the art is consistent from beginning to end. If you read something like The Tick GNs, you see a certain evolution in the art style. But Smith must have had tons of practice drawing his characters and settings before he even officially started his comic because there is no noticeable difference in the art from beginning to end.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:25 pm

BONE!!!!!!!

I discovered Bone back when they were running color versions of the early issued in Disney Adventures. Easilly the best thing to ever be in THAT magazine. I just got the big one volume collection with is AWSOME (though I distinctly remember a stand-alone issue in DIsney Adventures that isn't in that collection. What's up with that?)
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:15 pm

I love the way Fone Bone puts people asleep talking about his favorite novel:
Moby Di__ck.
mitsuki lover

Postby Dunedan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:36 am

Bone... best western serious comic... yes, better than spiderman. Excellent characters and a good mix of themes.... I hated the ending, though....
Dunedan

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:42 am

Dunedan wrote:I hated the ending, though....

Hmmm. Yes, the ending was strangely blunt and uneven. Or how would you describe it?
bigsleepj

Postby Icarus » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:45 pm

Bone! :dance:

Um, yeah. I like it.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Thorn's remark that Fone Bone is always naked was funny.
mitsuki lover

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:41 pm

dont know if you guys know about it, but there is a pc game

http://www.telltalegames.com/products?pc=bn0102

its supposed to be very good :)

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:40 pm

You have no idea how many times I've started to pick this up from Barnes and Nobles! I want the complete set so badly! But with it costing $39.99 I haven't been able to afford it yet. But I'll probably pick it up when I'm back in there again.
The Last Bard

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 am

mitsuki lover wrote:Thorn's remark that Fone Bone is always naked was funny.

LOL, ah yes. Funny.... I bought the complete one volume thing for something to do on our 2-week trip to Florida last Summer.
Ichigo_89

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:47 am

I loved it, but have dropped out. Can you PM me on who the Hooded one was?
rocklobster

Postby FarmGirl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:39 pm

I have read all but the last (maybe last two...) volumes, and will pick them up from the library next time we go to the city.
The art is awesome.
The plot is well thought out and intricate.
I like it.
Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
FarmGirl

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:44 pm

Finally my library ordered the rest of the volumes! I'm reading Book 4: The DragonSlayer at the moment. The series is much better when you start from Book 1!(lol) I love the stupid rat creatures (quiche?) and Fone Bone's pretty awesome also.
I don't like how some people complain that it's too complex and has some adult themes and violence. Just because it's a comic book doesn't mean it's for kids. Get with the program people! Anway, its very enjoyable so far.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:07 pm

It should be up there with LOTR as a classic fantasy.
mitsuki lover

Postby USSRGirl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:13 pm

I started a Bone thread awhile ago. BONE ROCKS!!!

I've been a long-time fan. But I've never read Stupid, Stupid, Rat Tails. Rose was good though.

A few comments/questions for seasoned Bone fans(SPOILERS!!!):

1.) Was anyone other than me incredibly disapointed by Fone Bone not getting a kiss from Thorn in the last episode finale?

2.) I have mixed feelings on the Rose prequel. I hated that it contridicted Bone by making Briar 'turn' old like Emperor Palpy. Lucius and her did not seem to be all that passionately in love that he'd still be thinking of her for years after. Plus I'm pretty sure turning into an old goblin thing would turn him off. In the flashback during the Crown of Horns saga, Briar is still young. Also, not much is told about Thorn's parents or anything like that... or who Gran'ma Ben ended up marrying (I mean... Thorn IS her grandaughter).

On the other hand I thought the ending was great. I detected a hint of Biblical symbolism in the whole 'substitution' theme. Very profound that if Rose had only listened to the Red Dragon exactly, none of the rest would have happened. The point wasn't for her to randomly kill something, but to obey him. Kinda explains the feud they seem to have later on.

3.) Is Jeff a universalist/satanist? I know he's not a Buddhist from an interview I read. He may or may not be Christian. I was just recently pointed out to me though that the Great Red Dragon is a symbol for satan (see Revelations...). The fact that the dragon is pretty much like the Bone 'God' or 'Jesus' seems a bit... anti-christ/satanist. However, it's my personal opinion that Jeff just borrows from all religions/mythology and did not really intend to make references to any specific religion. He mixed Hindi, Buddhism, Austrlian religion/folklore to inspire the whole dreaming thing. (please don't turn this into a bloody debate for me implying Smith is a satanist. I'm not saying *I* think he is. Just that a friend of mine sorta implied it.)
USSRGirl

Postby Animus Seed » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:It should be up there with LOTR as a classic fantasy.

Seconded.

Stupid, stupid rat creatures. Hey, do you guys prefer it in color or b/w?
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm only reading it in black and white, but the samples I've seen of the colour ones looks very nice indeed!

Why do I feel like quiche? (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Felix » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Why do I feel like quiche?

I've actually found a new love for the stuff after reading this XD

Anyway, I love Bone! My library only has the first 2 volumes, but after I read em, shoo, I had to have the rest. I bought the big one-volume edition too just recently, and I loved every page of it.
Felix

Postby USSRGirl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 am

I prefer B & W for sure.
USSRGirl

Next

Return to Book Corner