Books...Books...and more Books!!!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Books...Books...and more Books!!!

Postby Syaoran » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm

So This is my therd week in college and I have all my books now....a totle of 16 books that I have to have.

So how many do you have to get for your College/uiniversity.
Syaoran

Postby ~Natsumi Lam~ » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:15 pm

0... this semester because i am only doing dance.

But all together, i have like 20 programming, 3 html, 1 graphic, 3 Calc 1 and 2, 4 chem, philosphy, psychology, religion... and so on... i think i have a good 50 books from college.

~Natsumi Lam~
my new little sis: Eriana :) an awsome woman in Christ!!

- "For we fight not against flesh and blood" -

<~~~Eph.6:12-18~~~>

~Natsumi Lam~

Postby Syaoran » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:20 pm

That is alot. You must be brock now from buying all of thos books
Syaoran

Postby livewire » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:20 pm

me....amazingly enough, this semester I only had to buy 3...where I usually spend a good 300-400 dollars per semester on books, I only spent around 50 this time....
pretty good.
livewire

Postby Sammy Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:58 am

I am only expected to read class notes and the class reader. There is one textbook but it's kinda hard to get. I have a copy but can't be bothered reading it.

For our class essay we are expected to scrounge around for resources. It's around 30 sources, a combination of books, articles, and websites.
Sammy Boy

Postby Syaoran » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:07 pm

I just spent $600 Can on my books....and they are used for this year and the next 4 years to come
Syaoran

Postby MourningCloak » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:31 pm

Syaoran wrote:I just spent $600 Can on my books....and they are used for this year and the next 4 years to come

I dropped around $200 for my freshman year books... Pity I couldn't get more of them used. Next year I will though!!! And I can't remember how many there were total, but it was alot.
MourningCloak

Postby Eriana » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:32 pm

My family owns a lot of books, childhood falling apart books, new books, middle-aged books, etc I feel like a library. ^^;;;
ADOPTED BY: 1BalloonPopper, Starfire, JadeFox
ADOPTED: Animegirl1, Wild Eagle, Silvanis, JadeFox
Put this in your signature to remember to pray for Israel everyday...
Psalms 147 verse 3:
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

[/color]Fly with me dear lover of mine...[/color]
Eriana

Postby MourningCloak » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:36 pm

Lol, I do have a library in my home... and it's a small house! And I am in my college library right now... :) Books are awesome, but I hate the amount I HAVE to do at college. I'm not used to cramming all that info in so fast!
MourningCloak

Postby Eriana » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:40 pm

I'm not up to college yet. Is it a pain?
My parents said when they were in college that you study all the time and fun comes second. Hagh...I guess life doesn't get any easier when you move out...
Psalms 147 verse 3:

Eriana

Postby Syaoran » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:45 pm

No it dose not....Life gets harder and harder.
Syaoran

Postby Eriana » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:01 pm

Oh...Poop...-.-;;;
I was hoping things would become a little bit less annoying when I moved out, but unfortunately I think my head was up in the clouds this whole time.
Psalms 147 verse 3:

Eriana

Postby meboeck » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:05 pm

~Natsumi Lam~ wrote:0... this semester because i am only doing dance.

But all together, i have like 20 programming, 3 html, 1 graphic, 3 Calc 1 and 2, 4 chem, philosphy, psychology, religion... and so on... i think i have a good 50 books from college.

~Natsumi Lam~

What kind of dance?
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Eriana » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:06 pm

Disco.
Just kidding.
Psalms 147 verse 3:

Eriana

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:10 pm

Syaoran wrote:So This is my therd week in college and I have all my books now....a totle of 16 books that I have to have.

So how many do you have to get for your College/uiniversity.

Since I started university, I've accumulated several thousand dollars worth of textbooks. This semester, I'll really only need one though.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:17 pm

There is a running joke at my college that says Dr. Patterson will ask you how many books you've bought before handing your diploma, and unless you answer 1500 you can't graduate. :lol:

I'm taking 17 hours (6 classes + required chapel attendance) and that equates to 14 books this semester; I only bought 12 of them, and the other 2 I borrow from floormates every other night.
Ashley

Postby The Doctor » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:17 am

I'm considering following the advice of my buddy Tyler. He said college books are a scam and after awhile stopped buying them and just went to every class each day he had to be there and took lots of notes.

He's now happily graduated and with a job.

:: side note: this doesn't always work...sometimes your professors actually USE the book. But when you have a professor who doesn't...consider skipping the book. Unless the way you study requires you to use them. Up to you...just try to buy the cheapest one's possible::
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Technomancer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:05 am

I'd disagree with that, I've found it very helpful to be able to refer to my textbooks, or to clarify things I've heard in class. As far as buying the cheapest, there can really a large difference in the quality of textbooks, and how an author explains their subject.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:53 am

Hm. Most of my classes this semester are not really text intensive, but I have 13 books for those classes.

On life getting harder... yes, the work has become more difficult in college. But I have found that with a fairly small amount of time management I actually have more time on my hands than I did in highschool.
uc pseudonym

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:25 pm

Humm... well I think for all four years of college I probably spent less then $400 total. That is because my school has a thing called textbook rental where you rent most of your books from the school for free, and then just return them at the end of the semester. Still, I did have to buy quite a few programming books though since they had to be the most recent editions. And the negative is that now I only own a few books, but I don't really refer back to most of them at all anyway.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Book Corner