Paperback or Hardback Books?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Paperback or Hardback Books?

Postby Linksquest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:46 pm

Which do you guys prefer: paperback or hardback books?

Reasons are always good! ^^ please choose the one you most prefer... i know most people own both. :thumb:
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby livewire » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:50 pm

I totally prefer hardback books because they are more durable. I usually buy hardback books when I can aford them....but, one thing is for sure, when I start a series of books, if I buy it in paperback, then I have to buy the ENTIRE series in paperback and vice versa...
livewire

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:52 pm

I prefer hardback books because they look better on the shelf and last longer. But really, hardbacks are hardly the same quality they were 20 years ago.
bigsleepj

Postby Linksquest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:52 pm

livewire wrote:I totally prefer hardback books because they are more durable. I usually buy hardback books when I can aford them....but, one thing is for sure, when I start a series of books, if I buy it in paperback, then I have to buy the ENTIRE series in paperback and vice versa...

yea that is usally the case for me too. Somtimes... i have no other choice but to buy the paperback.... but i really prefer the harbacks cause they are more durable. ^^. Series usally are in paperback for me as well cause i purchase them in a set.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby Alice » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:05 pm

I tend to find paperbacks easier to read, and easier to hold when I'm trying to read lying down or something. Also they take up less space, and they're not so heavy.
Alice

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:49 pm

I prefer paperbacks because they are inexpensive and more easily portable and lighter than hardcovers. I will generally not buy a book until the softcover comes out.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby ichi ichigo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:08 am

I prefer my book's in paperback, that way I can take them with me where ever I go, ( I need to take alot I'm a fast reader x-x and I read way to much ... ), but my cookbook's I only want in hardback.
I love vegetarians !
more meat for me *^-^*
ichi ichigo

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:54 am

Hardbacks are great but often are much more expensive then their paperback counterparts. (At least that's what its like in Australia). Hardbacks last longer though and also you can open up the books easier and they just have more of a quality feel about them. I prefer hardbacks but I have more paperbacks.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ~Natsumi Lam~ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:29 am

paperback= cheaper...

cheaper= poor college student :thumb:

~NL~
my new little sis: Eriana :) an awsome woman in Christ!!

- "For we fight not against flesh and blood" -

<~~~Eph.6:12-18~~~>

~Natsumi Lam~

Postby inkhana » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:31 am

Manga is paperback :D So that's my answer.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:41 am

I like hardcover books, as they are more durable, especially if they are textbooks. Oddly enough, some thick chunky hardcover textbooks are cheaper than thin paperback textbooks...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:44 am

paperback if it is not a series

because its easier of the cover is bendy
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby dragonshimmer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:52 am

If I had the money, every single book I bought would be hardback. I just love the way the book feels in my hands and I think it gives the book a rather distinguished look. Plus, they're more durable.
dragonshimmer

Postby Scribs » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:21 am

Hard cover. they just look more classy.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Ichigo_89 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 am

Hardback for big, epic books (Bone One Volume, LOTR Trilogy, etc) because gives off that epic vibe thing...

But for manga and other series, i prefer paperback because then you can buy more and they're easy to replace if they're ruined. And for other reasons other posters listed for paperbacks... ^__^
Ichigo_89

Postby kazekami » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 am

I love hard back. THey look really nice. Paperpacks fall apart easier as well. But mostly I like the feel and look of hardback the best.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Icarus » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:26 am

I usually buy paper back (more books for less money), but I think I like hard backs better. But just barely.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby livewire » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:14 am

inkhana wrote:Manga is paperback :D So that's my answer.

This is a pretty good point...in that all manga are paperback...so, even if many of us prefer harback books....most of us also, just for our love of manga....have no choice but to buy paperback when it comes to this....
livewire

Postby Megan86 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:27 am

I prefer paperback just cause they're easier to hold. I do all my reading laying down, so a hardback is kinda difficult.
Megan86

Postby agasfas » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Paperback. They're usually much cheaper.

The only upside to a hardcover would covers that aren't bent. Plus I hardly ever read/skimmed a book more then once unless it was a reference type book.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Technomancer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:54 pm

It depends. If it's something like a textbook which I need to use (and hence want to last), I'd rather have the hardcover version. On the other hand, if I'm just looking for a novel to read for the sake of personal enjoyment, I'd rather get the softcover.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mave » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:17 pm

If you move as often as I do, you would opt for paperback books.
Mave

Postby Linksquest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:50 pm

livewire wrote:This is a pretty good point...in that all manga are paperback...so, even if many of us prefer harback books....most of us also, just for our love of manga....have no choice but to buy paperback when it comes to this....

They should make manga anthologies in hardback!!!! >.<!!!!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Maledicte » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:14 pm

Paperback. Anything that saves me money.
Although really I get anything that the used book store has I'll get, hardback or not.
Maledicte

Postby Locke » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:26 pm

I travle quite a bit so everytime im in anew city i pick up a paperback for the drive....

But for home or school, def hardcover.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby lionheart » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 pm

If its one of my favorites, I'll want it in hardback because it looks nicer.:thumb:
But as long as it's not on my list of favorites, I prefer paperbacks because they're cheaper. :grin:
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Kaori » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:38 pm

I usually buy paperbacks simply because they are cheaper and more portable, but I do also like hardbacks. However, a book being hardback does not necessarily mean that they are of good quality; I have had a few that fell apart relatively quickly.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby blue elf » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:30 am

I like paperbacks for they're portability and the fact that they're usually cheaper. I do love hardbacks though, because they look so nice on the bookshelf. I prefer hardbacks for looks and collection purposes, but I don't really like to carry my hardback books around with me, because I'm always afraid the dust covers will get ripped or something. If I'm going to carry it around in my backpack or whatever, I'd rather have the paperback.
blue elf

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:46 pm

I prefer hard backs, because they last longer and are harder to damage. But paperback is less expensive... and more portable. But you can easily bend the cover and pages, where as a hardback book is protected by its cover.

Both are fine though, but if I can get my hands on the hardback... and afford it... yeah, hardback is my choice.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:07 pm

I think softback blows both out of the water. I got Stephen King's 'The Stand' (which is like a 1,000 page book) in softback and it's one of the best designs ever.

It kinda depends on the book. I like John Grisam in paperback, but I like The Lord of the Rings more in hardback. Odd, but there you go.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Return to Book Corner