NeverWhere

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

NeverWhere

Postby Felix » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:40 pm

By er...someone Gaiman..I think that's his name. I spotted this in the book store, and I thought it looked awesome, but I know very little about it. Gonna do some research, but I wondered if any of you have read this and if you liked it? If it was objectional? Scary? (as I hope it will be) *shrugs* Any comments?
Felix

Postby Kaori » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:38 pm

I have read the book a few times and enjoy it. You're correct about the author, Neil Gaiman (he also wrote American Gods, Corelaine, Stardust, and the Sandman series). The only objectionable content that I remember offhand is some swearing--nothing terribly excessive--and descriptions of slightly gruesome deaths (a character is crucified).

Also, in terms of religious content:

[spoiler]The main villain is a fallen angel who is trying to get back into heaven. I don't recall any specific details about this aspect of the story.[/spoiler]

As far as the quality of the book is concerned, it is definitely well-written; Gaiman is an excellent writer. I recall one reviewer saying that it is a "dark Alice in Wonderland," which is a fairly accurate descriptor of the tone of the book.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Felix » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:42 pm

Ah, yes that about sums up what I expected. I thank you! I think I will get this book now. ^_^
Felix

Postby christianfriend » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:41 pm

o.o..this book sounds awsome..I MUST BUY IT!
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby Felix » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:47 pm

I just bought it ^o^ It's gonne be cooooooolness.
Felix

Postby christianfriend » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:51 pm

>.> You did! Tell me if its the total bomb of awsomeness!
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby Maledicte » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:34 pm

It *is* awesome. Kaori did a nice job of summing up. I'd like to read it again...it's a must buy.

Also, there's a DVD set of the Neverwhere television series. Gaiman wrote it before writing the novel. It has a certain charm all its own.
Maledicte

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:32 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:It *is* awesome. Kaori did a nice job of summing up. I'd like to read it again...it's a must buy.

Also, there's a DVD set of the Neverwhere television series. Gaiman wrote it before writing the novel. It has a certain charm all its own.

Yeah, I have that. It's a six-episode miniseries that aired on A&E. It's kind of abstract (in a good way - typical of Gaiman's work) and quite enjoyable. I definitely recommend seeing it when you're done with the book.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Felix » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:46 pm

Cool. Thanks for the recomendations, guys. ^_^
Felix

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:13 pm

I read the book before seeing the mini-series and everything was totally different from the way I had imagined it.
mitsuki lover

Return to Book Corner