[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince *SPOILERS* - Page 3 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince *SPOILERS*

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Kireihana » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:57 pm

Just for curiosity's sake, I did a search on MuggleNet for all HP characters with first and last initials RB, and Regulus Black is in fact the only one who fits that category.

I also find it highly unlikely that JKR would introduce a new character of such importance in book 7. But you never know.
Kireihana

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Die of agony Yumie ^^ And now that I've read an interview from JK Rowling on the Leaky Cauldron, I no longer think that Harry will be returning to Hogwarts <.<;;
Kawaiikneko

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:21 pm

I borrowed the book from my library last week and finished it in 3 days. I thought it was a pretty good read. I thought there was too much repeated from the previous novels (thought the same with the book before this) and that they should have been shortened somewhat and focused more on just telling the story, but the dynamics and chemistry of the characters made easier to take. I was deeply shocked when Dumbledore died, as he was one of my favourite characters. His death scene reminded me quite a bit of Obi-wan and Darth Vader's duel in Star Wars: A New Hope (possible influence?)

I still think Chamber of Secrets was possibly the best but that this book had the best last few chapters, especially where Dumbledore and Harry go after the Hexorac thing and when Harry saw Malfoy crying in the toilets and then used a dark spell to badly injure him (I thought Malfoy would die). I'm suprised Harry didn't get punished worse, he almost killed a student! The part where Harry is running through Hogwarts pursuing the Death Eaters etc was cool too.

Can't wait for book 7. No more Hogwarts setting it seems. No more Dumbledore and a more dark a 'streetwise' Harry. Should be good.
I wouldn't be suprised if these later books are rated highely when they become movies. They'll probably be rated M here in Australia or the American equivalent PG-13+.

This book was very dark, as was the previous one but Harry wasn't completly the royal pain in the backside that he was in the previous book so I think I prefer this book in those terms.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Yumie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:40 pm

Sorry, Kawaiikneko, but unless Snape really does redeem himself in some drastic way, or prove that things aren't what they seemed when Dumbledore died, then I think I would be very happy if Draco were able to do something like killing him to mark his switching allegience to the "good side." I hold grudges. Snape must die if he's not good. Lol. Sorry.
Yumie

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:02 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I still think Chamber of Secrets was possibly the best but that this book had the best last few chapters, especially where Dumbledore and Harry go after the Hexorac thing and when Harry saw Malfoy crying in the toilets and then used a dark spell to badly injure him (I thought Malfoy would die). I'm suprised Harry didn't get punished worse, he almost killed a student! The part where Harry is running through Hogwarts pursuing the Death Eaters etc was cool too.

I think Harry's punishment was adequate when you consider that:

A) Harry didn't know that the spell was so dark and dangerous.

B) Harry didn't INTEND to almost kill Malfoy. Rather, he was protecting himself, and, in the course of defense, he practiced a very strong lack of judgment by using a curse whose outcome he was unsure of.

C) Harry's detentions=no quidditch. IMHO, that's about the worst punishment the school could have leveled on him.

D) Lastly, Snape used the detentions as yet another time to tear at Harry's image of his father as a noble, wonderful person. Seeing as his memories are all he has of his father, muddying and marring those images is a very severe punishment.

In my book, the only crime you could charge Harry with was a lack of judgment.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:34 am

Mangafanatic wrote:In my book, the only crime you could charge Harry with was a lack of judgment.

That depends. Under the American legal system, had he killed Malfoy it would have been manslaughter, regardless of his intent. Given that he didn't actually kill him, I'm not sure exactly how it would be handled (and I am no lawyer).

But I also have to say this: if Harry's crime is a lack of judgment, he's being charged with dozens of counts of it in my book.
uc pseudonym

Postby Yumie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:01 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That depends. Under the American legal system, had he killed Malfoy it would have been manslaughter, regardless of his intent. Given that he didn't actually kill him, I'm not sure exactly how it would be handled (and I am no lawyer).

But I also have to say this: if Harry's crime is a lack of judgment, he's being charged with dozens of counts of it in my book.

In that case, I'm glad Harry didn't have to deal with the American legal system! :thumb:
Yumie

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:16 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Probably by not doing exactly what the creator of the trap intended someone to do.

*GASP* I have been burned! :forehead:

uc pseudonym wrote:That depends. Under the American legal system, had he killed Malfoy it would have been manslaughter, regardless of his intent. Given that he didn't actually kill him, I'm not sure exactly how it would be handled (and I am no lawyer).

Well, apparently Osaka's book is not a compendium of the ends and outs of the American legal system. Besides that, our ficticious Harry is, of course, not an American. Even so, it would likely be assault with a deadly weapon and malicious wounding, yes?

uc pseudonym wrote:(and I am no lawyer).

:lol: And all the UC-san groupies pass out from shock at the idea of any fallibility on the part of said moderator.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:56 am

I think I need to read the book again.. I really blew through it way to fast .__.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 am

Wait, wasn't Harry acting in self-defense? Afterall, Malfoy fired a spell at him when he noticed Harry in the mirror of the boy bathroom. . .*thinks she could be remembering wrong*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:13 am

That would open up a metaphorical can of legal worms (I believe Malfoy did fire a spell first). Had he actually caused death, I'm not so certain that would hold up against a charge of manslaughter. Even given that only injury was caused, Harry's lawyers would have to argue that this was really his only defense option, and counter the argument that he could have defended himself much more easily with blocking or numerous non-lethal spells. Even if he was not indicted with the equivalent of a felony, Draco could still sue him, if the wizarding world does such things.

I think we can all conclude this matter probably isn't important enough to spend much time on.
uc pseudonym

Postby Yumie » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:35 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I think we can all conclude this matter probably isn't important enough to spend much time on.

My thoughts exactly :P.
Yumie

Postby Kat Walker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 pm

The wizarding world seems rather archaic, I doubt they have anything resembling a post-Victorian era muggle-esque justice system.

*glares back at the weirdness of that sentence*

Despite that, it seems there is no death penalty in the Wizarding world, seeing as how even mass murderers seem to just get thrown in Azkaban (unless they're killed in battle -- although they'll probably make an exception for 'ol Voldy). But then again, being tortured by dementors forever is probably worse than the electric chair.

I agree, this is terribly irrelevant. I must shut up my inner literary nerd. Some pizza and videogames ought to do it.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:28 am

Kat Walker wrote:Despite that, it seems there is no death penalty in the Wizarding world, seeing as how even mass murderers seem to just get thrown in Azkaban (unless they're killed in battle -- although they'll probably make an exception for 'ol Voldy). But then again, being tortured by dementors forever is probably worse than the electric chair.

What's even more distorted about the Wizarding justice system is that they throw murderers like the Lestranges in right next to wizards who have only been accuse of a certain crime (like Hagrid after being accused of opening the chamber.) Sounds a little warped, ne?

Mangafanatic

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:33 pm

well theres always the dementor's kiss, which I would say is pretty much a death sentence... except worse. As for Hagrid he had been "caught" before and they "knew" he had released the "monster" before, so I'm willing to bet he would have been charged guilty in a normal legal procedure in the US... well maybe not <.< our judicial system is strange.
Kawaiikneko

Postby sanitysux13 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:00 am

I know I'm completely changing the topic here, but does anyone remeber who R.A.B. is? I'd be willing to bet that he or she has appeared somewhere in the past five books, but they would probably just be mentioned in passing.
sanitysux13

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:43 am

sanitysux13 wrote:I know I'm completely changing the topic here, but does anyone remeber who R.A.B. is? I'd be willing to bet that he or she has appeared somewhere in the past five books, but they would probably just be mentioned in passing.

There is great speculation among fans that R.A.B. is Regulus Uknownmiddlename Black

Mangafanatic

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:21 am

Mangafanatic wrote:What's even more distorted about the Wizarding justice system is that they throw murderers like the Lestranges in right next to wizards who have only been accuse of a certain crime (like Hagrid after being accused of opening the chamber.) Sounds a little warped, ne?

In the defense of the legal system of the wizarding world (not necessarily as it currently stands), with Voldemort's return people are paranoid. I doubt such things would be as harshly punished in normal times. We needn't get into politics, but I think the real world shows that generally good people can do surprisingly evil things when under difficult conditions.

I believe that would also apply to Hagrid's punishment as well, though the past chronology of the series is never something to which I've paid much attention.
uc pseudonym

Postby olorc » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 pm

I just finished the book.
Personally, I loved the reality of it.
[spoiler]In not many stories will you end up with the bad guys coming out on top. [/spoiler]
It didn't seems like J.K.R. sugar coated this book like she did the last one. It almost feels like her writing style and story are growing up with the main characters and subsequently the people reading her books. I do think the end is a bit unreaistic though.
[spoiler]I don't think Ron and Hermy would deside to drop out of the only schooling of their lives so they can run headlone into mortal danger just because they want to help Harry.[/spoiler]
just my take though.

Anyone else notice the uncanny similarity between Harry Potter and Naruto. Bad guys are so close it's not even funny. Main characters are both kids with something unique about them that happened to them around the time of their birth. They were both orphans. Both series are wicked awesome... and also involve kids prevailing over adults who should reailstically drop them like nothing.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby olorc » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:38 pm

erm... I guess it's been a while since I posted a spoiler tag... a little help with how to would be nice if someone would be so kind.
sorry.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:38 pm

Personally, I think Regulus was too easy a guess to be the R.A.B. in the note. It's too obvious. But I would agree that R.A.B. probably isn't a new character either. My theory? Maybe R.A.B. are the initials of some nickname that some other character has, or maybe it's an acronym that stands for something, like HBP means "Half Blood Prince".

Until mor information is revealed, I'll just continue my desperate wishful thinking that R.A.B. is actully Snape, still secretly working for good ^^.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:54 pm

Ohhh good idea.. maybe a little less likely than the one most people are in on, but a good theory nonetheless.. *clings*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:Personally, I think Regulus was too easy a guess to be the R.A.B. in the note. It's too obvious. But I would agree that R.A.B. probably isn't a new character either. My theory? Maybe R.A.B. are the initials of some nickname that some other character has, or maybe it's an acronym that stands for something, like HBP means "Half Blood Prince".

That's what I think, too, but, then again, it doesn't seem likely that Rowling would just throw in a new character. Maybe R.A.B. is someone that we already know, but we don't know what their REAL name is. *shrug* Just a thought.

Mangafanatic

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:10 am

I just finished it... So sad...

My position:

1. Well, dumbledore is dead... I thought it may have been fake until the very end of the book... Darn it...

2. Snape is a crum-bum. End of story. Of course, I think some of the theories in here are very interesting. Is it devotion to Voldy or to Narcissa? Also, I like, but don't believe, the position that Snape killed Dumbledore on his own orders... I also like, but am unsure of, the idea of a dual unbreakable vow... I was rather upset with Rowling for doing this, by the way... Of course, the new cliché is to make the guy who seems bad end up good. I guess using older clichés make for the appearance of originality, and there is nothing new under the sun. Merely cycles.

3. Hermione and Ron quitting school? I personally think this "Pass or screw your life up" sort of school system the wizards have is just plain stupid, but it does sorta mirror the way university actually is, at least in the US... As for Hermione quitting, I think she'll learn enough on her own that "N.E.W.T.S" won't mean too much. Ron, of course, will have to work off her. That's ok.

4. Hmm... Will Harry Die, or won't he? If He's the Sixth Horcrux (good thinking, whoever said that) He will have to die. That means someone else will have to kill Voldy, and that means we will get the tragic ending we've been fearing. I think it's very possible more people will die in the next book. More than just one important person. The thing I'm wondering about is Draco. He couldn't kill dumbledore... I wonder what that will mean...

This was my favorite of the books so far... I guessed Dumbledore was gonna kick it because I read the chapter titles (White tomb made me instantly think "Dumbledore") but I actually thought, for a while, it was gonna be snape. I thought he would break his vow and die... I was hoping for that. You know, to become noble at the last minute... I can't wait another 3 years for this dumb book to come out!!! Um... Goodnight...

EDIT:
Oh, and I knew that Ron X Hermione was coming... Personally, i think Rowling has bee too honest about things. Even the snape thing, we all should have seen coming... "Don't feel too sorry for him" she said... Yeah... As for Harry, who he ends up with is much less concrete, but I was hoping for Luna... Darn it... Of course, Rowling didn't even really expand Luna's character... That was a bit disappointing...

I still hope snape redeems himself, but I won't count on it... I really liked him, too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Scribs » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:19 am

4. Hmm... Will Harry Die, or won't he? If He's the Sixth Horcrux (good thinking, whoever said that) He will have to die. That means someone else will have to kill Voldy, and that means we will get the tragic ending we've been fearing. I think it's very possible more people will die in the next book. More than just one important person. The thing I'm wondering about is Draco. He couldn't kill dumbledore... I wonder what that will mean...

If this does happen (which I doubt) I would put my money on Neville to be the guy to kill Voldemort. I doubt that Rowling had that prophesy apply to him for no reason.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby MyrrhLynn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:37 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:
Oh, and I knew that Ron X Hermione was coming

Umm yes that has been obvious since book 4 when Ron hated Viktor after he showed an interest in Hermione... well at least it was obvious to me. :lol:

As to the people who suggested that Harry might have to die well... I have read several interviews where people asked Rowling if she was going to do a sequal series with Harry. She said she was thinking about it but she hadn't made up her mind. Of course she could just have been lying but I also wonder if her editors will honestly let her kill off such a huge moneymaker. ;) Although peronsally if I was her I would be tempted to kill off Harry or else she will be stuck writing Harry Potter books for the rest of her life. :forehead:

I don't know if this was mentioned yet (I didn't read all the posts in this thread ) but has anyone noticed how the person who dies is always on the cover somewhere? (at least on the American covers)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:46 pm

MyrrhLynn wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned yet (I didn't read all the posts in this thread ) but has anyone noticed how the person who dies is always on the cover somewhere? (at least on the American covers)

That's an interesting note (I figured that was part of the reason Dumbledore was prominent on this cover), but I don't think it holds for the entire series (though I can't be certain I've always seen the American covers):
1: Professor Quirrel
2: (no important deaths)
3: (no important deaths)
4: [the other Gryffindor person]
5: Sirius Black
6: Dumbledore

That list may not be entirely accurate, and I must admit it is not something I will lose any sleep over. However, the point is to show that there have been some important deaths not on covers, as far as I am aware.
uc pseudonym

Postby Yumie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:07 pm

It seems like it might be logical for Voldy to make Harry a horcrux, because that means that even if Voldy dies he'll get to take his arch-enemy with him. The only thing I can think of is, why would the prophecy say, "Neither can live while the other survives?" I mean, that would mean that Voldemort couldn't live UNLESS Harry survives, so it seems a little contradictory.
Yumie

Postby Arnobius » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:47 pm

Yumie wrote:It seems like it might be logical for Voldy to make Harry a horcrux, because that means that even if Voldy dies he'll get to take his arch-enemy with him. The only thing I can think of is, why would the prophecy say, "Neither can live while the other survives?" I mean, that would mean that Voldemort couldn't live UNLESS Harry survives, so it seems a little contradictory.

Except Voldemort couldn't touch Harry back then, so I don't think Harry could have been made into a horcrux
Arnobius

Postby Yumie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:30 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Except Voldemort couldn't touch Harry back then, so I don't think Harry could have been made into a horcrux

Yeah, I just don't know enough about the making of horcruxes to know if it's possible for Harry to be one or not. I mean, we know that Voldemort could have torn a piece of his soul when he killed Lily, but I don't know how he would transfer it and all that. And wouldn't Dumbledore have figured it out if Voldemort had done that?? I mean, he had been around Harry every school season for six years, and he's not exactly what you'd call dense. . . so. . .
Yumie

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner