A Dad Needs To Know...

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

A Dad Needs To Know...

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:22 am

Hey Gang

My daughter has been given a reading list for the summer and that list includes "The Catcher In The Rye." She wants to read it because it's the shortest book on the list. However, my wife is livid as she has heard all about it being banned and the Christian groups that are against it. I cannot find an online review from a Christian perspective. My daughter is 16 1/2 so I lean more to the fact that she will be required to read a lot of material we would object to eventually in college. We've got to start trusting her sometime. But, I have to live with my wife :sweat:

Anyway, any input from you folks who have read it in regard to content would be greatly apprecaited or if you know of a Christian review please let me know. Thanks.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:40 am

Personally, I think it's a great book for a teenager to read and that the objections to it are silly and overblown. Basically, one of the main issues that have been cited is that there is some language (somebody says "crap" and the 'f' word is found scrawled on a bathroom wall). Probably the main reason though is Holden's cynicism towards the adult world and his status as something of a loser. In reality, the book might have been shocking in some circles when it was first written, but it doesn't even remotely compare to much of what's on movies and television today.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Maledicte » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:07 pm

I thought it was good. It's short but angsty, but really is no different from what a lot of teenagers are feeling today. in the end the main character does sort of grow up.
Maledicte

Postby yukinon » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:17 pm

A lot would depend on your daughter's maturity, which is something that obviously only you are going to know very well.

There is a LOT of language in it. At least, it seemed so to me when I read it at the age of 17. Every other word Holden says seems to be a curse. He also has a very arrogant and negative attitude towards almost everyone. (For the record, I personally hated this book. But that doesn't mean I can't be objective about content.)

If your daughter has other options, I'd reccomend those. She's definitely not going to lose anything by choosing not to read this book. What other books might be on the list?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby kazekami » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:51 pm

I'd reccomend reading it yourself if she does go ahead and read it and perhaps discuss it with her. I haven't read the book myself, never really wanted to. It didn't seem to be something i would enjoy. I was studying to be a English Teacher at one point and too a class on YA literture. Some books are banned for strange reasons like having death in them. Others should not be in schools. But Ultimately i think it should be up to the parents to say which books tehy deem inapropraiate for their children. But it might also help for you to just read the book and fecide if its appropriate or not for yourself if you can't find any reviews. Then you should talk to your daughter if you find it inappropriate and explian why its not a good book for her to read. Sorry if I'm not much help.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:57 pm

Well if you have questions about it you should read it first for yourself.
mitsuki lover

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:22 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Well if you have questions about it you should read it first for yourself.

Unfortunately, there is not enough time for my reading it and her doing the same before it's due date. She's gone on to another title. Thanks everyone for your input.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby yukinon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:15 pm

May I ask what title? (sorry, I'm a book nerd.)
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Return to Book Corner