Vampire Hunter D novels! \*o*/

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Vampire Hunter D novels! \*o*/

Postby Maledicte » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:08 pm

They're FINALLY HERE!!!! *heart heart heart* the Vampire Hunter D novels by Hideyuki Kikuchi are finally being translated in English and published!!!

VHD, as you may already know, has been made into 2 anime movies, based on the novels. I'm a big fan and I'm so happy. The English versions are being published by DMP, complete with Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations. The translations, while a bit choppy at some points (same-structure sentences for example), are solid, and have good dialogue and clear, descriptive fight scenes.

The second one is coming out next month!!
Maledicte

Postby Namelessknight » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:19 pm

How do they compare to the anime's? I watched both, but couldn't even begin to justify owning them. So I am wondering if the novels will be a bit cleaner? Let us know how they are. I am certianly interested...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:59 pm

I definitely, DEFINITELY prefer the novel to the first VHD movie. It's far less explicit, (except for the beginning. But that part is over fairly quick and the accompanying illustration isn't explicit either.)

[SPOILER] at the beginning of the book, Doris throws off her cape (she's nude underneath) to try to throw D off, to see if he's worthy of employment.[/SPOILER]

mild language, if memory serves me well (I NEVER remember books well...O_o) and makes Larmica a deeper character and Rei-Ginsei more frightening. Who knew that by making a character more pretty that he'd end up more evil? Also gives far more insight into how the present situation came to be, the relationships between the vampires, mutants and humans, etc. Lots of stuff going on.

The first book also has a preview chapter of Book two, which has not been animated.
Maledicte

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:27 pm

Didn't even know they had Vampire Hunter D books. Wow thanks for the info!!! I'll be sure to look for them!
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Postby Lynx » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:38 pm

actually now there are 2 out. i was extremely impressed by them actually. sometimes translations of books are hit or miss, and japanese is a very hard language to translate from to get literature like that, but these books are good. i'd recommend them for anyone who likes fantasy/sci-fi, even if you've never seen vampire hunter d.
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Maledicte » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Must...get...second...one...:eh:
Maledicte

Postby That Dude » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:45 am

I think that I'll chack and see if my library has these.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:41 am

That's interesting. I can't say I was particularly impressed by the first of the films, but the second had enough depth that I'd be willing to check out the series on which they were based. Do you know how extensive the entire plot is? Does each book stand alone, or do they build off one another?
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:22 am

Yes I would like to know if they build off each other or are standalone also.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kaori » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:27 pm

The first novel covers the same ground as the first movie, and stands by itself just fine. Bloodlust has almost nothing to do with the novels, as far as I know. I read the first novel and really wasn't impressed with it; its quality was about comprable with our pulp fiction. One may as well read Robert Howard, who at least doesn't have to be translated from another language.

uc pseudonym wrote:I can't say I was particularly impressed by the first of the films, but the second had enough depth that I'd be willing to check out the series on which they were based.

Interesting; most people I know who have seen both movies have said that the plot of the first movie was deeper than that of Bloodlust.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:21 am

*wants to read the third volume and see how it compares to Bloodlust*
Ichigo_89

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:47 am

[quote="Kaori"]Interesting]
I can't say that I agree with them. While I wouldn't call the plot of Bloodlust complex, I felt the plot of the first movie was really very weak (consider how quickly it could be summarized). The second film had at least some degree of moral ambiguity and more characters with explored personalities, in my mind.

Out of curiosity, are you speaking entirely based on what you have heard, or have you seen both films as well?
uc pseudonym

Postby Kaori » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:07 pm

I have seen both, but I didn't think the plot of the first movie was particularly strong, either.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 am

I'd have to agree with UC on this. I think that Bloodlust was just better over-all.
That Dude

Postby Maledicte » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:50 pm

I have seen both, and I was rather displeased with the first film (not only was the animation sub-par, even for its time, but the story was rather formulaic) and preferred Bloodlust overall. Even though I had read a spoilerific review it didn't ruin the film for me and I enjoyed it immensely. It could have used some depth, but as UC said the ambiguity really helped make it interesting. (Hey, it even interested my dad, that's saying a lot.)

And, comparing the first novel to the first film, the book wins in description and interesting plot points; the film added more depth to Rei Ginsei's character. (But he was incredibly despicable in the book, which was also enjoyable.)
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:31 am

The subpar animation was less of an issue for me than those parts that were simply lazy (for example, how long does she walk through the grass in the opening?). While producers who must create a new episode on a regular basis have at least some excuse for cutting corners, a film shouldn't need to stoop to such levels.

Overall I liked Bloodlust, for a variety of reasons. I did feel the ending was a bit cheap, given everything they had set up, but there have been far worse.

We should probably at least pretend to be discussing the books. For my part, when I am next looking for reading material I'll at least do a search. If they're on hand I may pick up the first one.
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:00 pm

The animation in Bloodlust was awesome. It was very seemless and I'd say it was some of the best animation out there for when it was made (1999 I believe.)
That Dude

Postby Maledicte » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:02 pm

I finally got the second novel. \^o^/! For now I'm still drooling over the lovely pictures.
Maledicte

Return to Book Corner