summer reading ......

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

summer reading ......

Postby oro! » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:55 am

I have to read three books this summer for school. I hope that they aren't boring or wrong or something, 'cuse it's already unfair to make us read, I htink. I love reading,but why can't they let us choose to do that on our own. I get 8 weeks off from school, and go back in august. WHy do they do that? You know? :hits_self
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:11 am

I don't get that either o.O It's supposed to be your stinking vacation, why are they giving summer homework? >_> Reading three whole books in a just a few months is easier said than done...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Syaoran » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 am

Unless you are traind to read Three books in one month. I hope you will have a fun time and read small books if you can if not.....then read 5 chaptors a day.
Syaoran

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:47 pm

do you know which books they are?
Maledicte

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:32 am

Three books in eight weeks. As my driver's ed teacher said: "Nothin' to it but to do it." Just have a library/book day or three. Do your chores, but otherwise stay in bed and read. Books fly past when you do that.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:04 am

Ack, I definitely don't miss assigned reading. Isn't it funny how when you choose the books, it's possible to get through four in three days, but when it's assigned it drags on and on and on. I'm kinda in a similar boat, I asked a friend for book recommendations, and now I'm almost reading them as an obligation to her.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Technomancer » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:14 am

They give you assigned reading over the summer? It sounds odd, and was something my own school never did. Still, it's not like it's an especially onerous task to read three books over the course of one's summer break. I'd certainly read a lot more myself if I had the time, or if I had a summer break.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby oro! » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:23 pm

I can read a few books in a couple of days, but you know how it is? You like to pick good books. I tried to read Edith Hamitlon's Mythoolgy, but she is so so...urgh condescending towards Christians, i can''t force myslef to do it. I think I'll read THe three pther books: alchemist, House on Mango street, and one other. They're so short it'll be easy. I think I'll jsut wait a while. WE are going on a 12? hour journey down to Florida next week, so I know I can get it done! I have started on one just in case, and am half way. I guess I shouldn't complain too much..... *sigh*
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby JoyfullShadow » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:28 am

good luck
Arîdkha-
A.K.A. Snicket

P.S. I learned all my dance moves from Josh & Jon :rock:
xanga- http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=blackKat013

" ...there's a love that could fall down like rain, let forgiveness wash away the pain. And no one knows what they are searching for this world is crying out for so much more..."
JoyfullShadow

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:50 pm

At least it's not Gone With The Wind,War And Peace and Moby ****!
mitsuki lover

Postby oro! » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm

Yeah!!!! Amen! I would not have been foolish enough to have started now if it were those. I would have died from the stress and fail the tests because I had read too fast...
oro!

Postby heero yuy 95 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:03 am

I have to read three books this summer for school. I hope that they aren't boring or wrong or something, 'cuse it's already unfair to make us read, I htink. I love reading,but why can't they let us choose to do that on our own. I get 8 weeks off from school, and go back in august. WHy do they do that? You know?

Because they're teachers! You know, iron-fisted dictators who hate kids and try to take as much fun out of our lives as possible. i have to read a book AND fill out this huge study-guide AND do vocab, so I know how you feel.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby Slater » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:31 am

mitsuki lover wrote:Moby ****!

rofl, gotta love it when the database's censoring program works overtime.

Anyways, this is the first time in about 4 years that I haven't had to do summer reading. Makes me feel kinda sad... Literature is something hard to appreciate, but once you understand it, it's better than anything.
Slater

Return to Book Corner