Question on British Trends... I'm not talking about Bridget Jone

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Question on British Trends... I'm not talking about Bridget Jone

Postby HwaRang777 » Thu May 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi everybody,

I have final exams coming up, and my British Literature teacher is a real #$&! (I'm saying this because I can't think of a bad word to describe her, not because I don't want to say a icky word). She's giving us an ALL ESSAY exam.

One question I do know that will be there is what is the difference between Romantic, Victorian, and Modern writing in Britian? I know a few things, but I forgot them all, If you guys could just tell me a general sum for each one, I would be very greatful. I hope you guys know your british literature, cuz I sure don't!!!
Arise now, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Dire deeds awake, dark is it eastward.
Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded
forth Eorlingas!
-from LotR

KIMCHI POWERS UNITE!
HwaRang777

Postby Zane » Thu May 26, 2005 8:21 pm

What wrong with an all essay exam? That's how english class's do it in AUS and ENG.

Romantic, Victorian and Modern are all different time periods with history, particualrly british history. Victorian is named after the rule of Queen Victoria and is generally the 1800's to about 1890's ish... It includes the industrialism, British expansion and empire building, Darwin's evolutionary theory and is very caught up in the idea of progress. Both economically, physically and morally etc.
You can see a change in the literature from the beginning of the period to the end as gradually people begin disagree with the idea of progress, ie the novels heros don't advance and are beaten down etc. The most famous literature from that time period is "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", Kiplings "The Man who would be King", Oscar Wilde "The Importance of being Ernest", and Charles Dickens' stuff.

Romantic is before that time period like the 17th Cen I think, I'm not exactly sure with that one. Neiher can I help you with Modern, although the modern period is over because we are currently in postmodern, whatever that means....

Hope that helps
Zane

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu May 26, 2005 8:47 pm

I thought all literature courses used all-essay exams...
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Return to Book Corner