Animorphs

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Animorphs

Postby Cedahlia » Mon May 23, 2005 7:05 pm

I know that there are several more fans of this series here!

I personally love this series. I know it's meant for younger kids, but I started reading them about six years ago, and still enjoy them.

The concept of morphing is so cool. To be able to become an animal!! -is an animal lover- And the yeerks...what creepy aliens.

I was on my way to a fishing trip with my brother and some friends of the family when I finished the last book. I wish that K.A. Applegate had continued the series.

[spoiler]I started crying when Rachel died. So sad...I couldn't believe it! Yet again, my favorite character died.[/spoiler]
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Alice » Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 pm

A few years ago, I really liked these! I read at least five. ^-^

I have one now that I haven't even finished reading, so I guess I'm out of them, but yeah, I loved the concept as well. :)

The flips at the bottom were cute, too.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby AngelSakura » Fri May 27, 2005 4:56 pm

I LOVED Animorphs. Awesome. I have a ton of them.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Shia Kyosuka » Fri May 27, 2005 5:06 pm

I used to like them... then graduately, I lost interest.
had enough.
Shia Kyosuka

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri May 27, 2005 5:23 pm

I think I read at least twenty of the books, it seems so long ago though. At the time, I remember wishing so hard for the ability to turn into any animal I touched. And I loved the crazy situations that the characters often ended up in.

I was finally forced to stop reading 'em when I was 14, since I was getting rather self conscious about digging through the children's section at the local library :sweat:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Alice » Fri May 27, 2005 5:29 pm

Oh, I still get stuff from the children's section. Just duck my head, and try to look young. :lol:

And no one dared
Alice

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri May 27, 2005 9:39 pm

Alice wrote:Oh, I still get stuff from the children's section. Just duck my head, and try to look young.

You are truly a far braver soul than I ;)

I used to use my little brother as an excuse. But when he hit puberty and stopped reading children's books, I started wondering if maybe it was time to move to the Young Adult section. Alhough now I'm almost twenty and I'm fighting 13-year-olds for books in the YA section. At this rate, I'll prolly be at least thirty by the time I start reading the Adult books. :lol:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

the_lizardqueen

Postby Alice » Fri May 27, 2005 10:09 pm

[quote="the_lizardqueen"]You are truly a far braver soul than I ]

:lol: You need a thick skin. I look young for my age, so people usually think I'm a teenager. ("What grade are you in?") But the library is just too small to confine myself to one section. ;) Besides, I always figure people can assume I'm picking books out for a younger sibling... who's horribly sick, home in bed, and getting ready to cough on library books. ;) Seriously, I feel funny about it sometimes, but I try not to let it stop me. My mother enjoys D. King-Smith books. And besides, technically, I could be needing to read children's fiction for research. I don't usually, but I could, right?

And no one dared
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 27, 2005 10:14 pm

My, it has been years, but there was a time when I read a fair number of these books. Eventually I did pick up the last one and read it, though I was disappointed by what I felt was an inconclusive ending. They were certainly short, however.

I do agree that the concept was a very interesting one. Occasionally I felt the concept of an animal mind was also well-written.
uc pseudonym

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Alice wrote: You need a thick skin. I look young for my age, so people usually think I'm a teenager. ("What grade are you in?") But the library is just too small to confine myself to one section. Besides, I always figure people can assume I'm picking books out for a younger sibling... who's horribly sick, home in bed, and getting ready to cough on library books. Seriously, I feel funny about it sometimes, but I try not to let it stop me. My mother enjoys D. King-Smith books. And besides, technically, I could be needing to read children's fiction for research. I don't usually, but I could, right?

You made numerous good points, I'll definitely be keeping 'em in mind when I'm hunting for the next Harry Potter book. Besides, sometimes it's really fun to be odd ^_^

Suddenly, I'm feeling strangely inspired to get all of the Animorphs books out of my local library and finally finish the series...

:jump:

the_lizardqueen

Postby Photosoph » Fri May 27, 2005 10:40 pm

I think I got up to about number 14... however in NZ books are really expensive, so one animorph book cost about $15-20. That meant that my sister and I had to pool our money together to buy each book. I guess I lost interest too -although I always flipped through the pages of the newer books when they came out. I also read the ending, and after that didn't really want to read the rest of the series :lol: . The morphing graphic at the bottom was a really neat idea as well. And yes, I also loved/love the whole idea of 'morphing'. That was also an interesting concept
[SPOILER] when Cassie turned into a caterpillar for more than two hours but managed to morph back to human once she became a butterfly.[/SPOILER] I like it when an author puts a lot of thought into the effects that the new idea he/she has introduced would have in different situations.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat May 28, 2005 12:41 pm

They have a few of the books in our library.I've never thought of checking any of them out though.I have though checked out Harry Potter and one oof the
Series of Unfortunate Events.Our library also has Redwall.
mitsuki lover

Postby Photosoph » Sat May 28, 2005 3:01 pm

I love Redwall! I mean, I like the whole concept, and some of the drawings are really neat -however a lot of the stories seem to be repeats of old ones but just with new characters and locations.
Love the way he writes all the different ways of speech -like molespeech etc.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat May 28, 2005 3:07 pm

Moles rule! I used to create my own Redwall characters and one of my favorites was a warrior mole named Harvestmoon, she carried a very big mace.

I recently read 'Triss', one of the newer Redwall books, for oldtimes sake. I actually really enjoyed it. But then I tried reading Legend of Luke and I couldn't really get into it, I gave up after a few chapters :sweat:

the_lizardqueen

Postby Alice » Sat May 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Yeah, I loved the Redwall books when I was a kid. :lol:

I felt guilty about reading them, though, because they were violent.

But now that I'm older, I'm not interested in them anymore. :(
Alice

Postby Photosoph » Sat May 28, 2005 4:05 pm

Aw man, that's so sad. It's annoying when that happens, eh? I read Triss too, and I think I remember really enjoying that one. The Legend of Luke I think was good, but kind of... slow and lengthy, if I remember correctly.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Zane » Sun May 29, 2005 8:30 pm

Funny you should mention that becuase over this last week, I just read the last 5 books i borrowed of a gilr from church. I started reading them when I was in Year 7 and then read a couple in the 40's, and about the 1st 20 books, kinda pieced the story together. But the last 5 books where good fun to read. I did enjoy it.

What got me hooked was in the 1st or second book when they're fighting in the Yeerk pool for the 1st time and they are loosing, All of a sudden Jake jumps out in Tiger morph and totally kicks butt!!! I was like YEAH!!! This is awesome.

It was fun while it lasted. Thats for sure.
Zane

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun May 29, 2005 8:43 pm

I've read about 10 or so of the books but then waited for the others to come out and now that they have I may have to check out the rest. I have an overactive imagination so you can imagine I cool I thought it was to morph into an animal and save the world.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Photosoph » Sun May 29, 2005 8:56 pm

Yeah... along with flight and super-speed, morphing is definitely in the top three of one of the super powers I would really love to have. *dreams*...
Btw, if you could morph, which animals would you really want to try being for just under two hours?
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby Kurama » Sun May 29, 2005 9:12 pm

I had just started reading the books! I just got done with thevisitor!
Kurama

Postby Kurama » Sun May 29, 2005 9:12 pm

And I would want to morph in to a cheeata!
Kurama

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 30, 2005 12:16 am

Given our set of assumptions (which are quite outside of reality; I mention this merely because I find it humorous), I think the animal ability I would most like would be the durability of an ant. I wouldn't want an ant morph, but if I had the proportional hardness... think about it; ants can survive falling thousands of times their own height or being flicked by a finger. As a human, that would mean a wrecking ball would do me no particular harm.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon May 30, 2005 12:41 am

Probably a komodo dragon for me, they are pretty cool. Or a giant moa, or an echidna.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 8:23 am

Probably a cat for me. I would have a better understanding of what life is like for my cats, and it would just be fun. ^-^

When I was younger, I always wanted to be a cat. So I guess for 2 hours would be fun.
Alice

Postby Arbre » Mon May 30, 2005 8:32 am

I was obsessed with those books when I was in Junior High. I read the 4th book first, then tried to go in order.

I remember waiting each month, continually checking Walmart for the newest book in the series.

I bought the Andalite Chronicles and the Megamorph books, too. I saw somewhere that they have Hork-Bajir Chronicles. o_O

The Ellimist thing bothered me a bit. After book 25 or so, I stopped buying them.

My library where I used to live had a good number of the books but nowhere near all of them. Recently I've been trying to find them in stores but with no luck.

I really want to finish that series.
Arbre

Postby Alice » Mon May 30, 2005 8:38 am

http://www.amazon.com will have them.
Alice

Postby Photosoph » Mon May 30, 2005 1:31 pm

Hmm... for me it would probably be a cat too -they wouldn't be conspicuous in a city enviroment, are small enough to sneak places and light enough to climb trees, are resonably quick, and if you put their claws and teeth to work can give some nasty gashes. :lol: They can also survive reasonably well in the wild... so they'd be a good spying type morph to have. That, and I just love cats :lol:
That or perhaps a large bat (large enough not to have too much trouble with owls), since they're able to fly, see in the dark, and are reasonably interesting/cute.

That point about ants is a good one, UC. They're definitely built tough, though I think part of the reason why they can fall from great heights without being hurt may be something to do with their size rather than their build. I'd have to check that though.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

\(^_^)/
Photosoph

Postby the_lizardqueen » Mon May 30, 2005 2:49 pm

I've always thought that if I could have any superpower, I'd want it to be some form of shapeshifting.

Oo, and in response ot Photosoph's question: It might seem silly, but I would so morph into a squirrel. I mean think about it, they can run straight up and down trees and they can jump massive distances. Squirrels are basically the Spiderman of the animal kingdom! (and they're not icky like real spiders..)

Other than that...I'd wanna be a cat, an owl, and mebbe a grizzly bear or an otter, or a mountain goat (presuming I had some mountains to explore). I'm sure I'll think of a ton more once I click 'post'.

the_lizardqueen

Postby Cedahlia » Mon May 30, 2005 6:05 pm

Wow, no one replied for several days, and suddenly there are tons of posts!

I would love to morph into a ferret. They are so cute! ^^

The book about Elfangor was so long, and halfway through I lost interest because of all the gruesome battle scenes (they never seemed to end). But I picked it up and finished it, and it was good.

[spoiler]Imagine how horrible it would be to be stuck as a taxxon, like his friend. o.o[/spoiler]
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 30, 2005 9:36 pm

Photosoph wrote:That point about ants is a good one, UC. They're definitely built tough, though I think part of the reason why they can fall from great heights without being hurt may be something to do with their size rather than their build. I'd have to check that though.

Actually, I believe you are correct. It would not be possible for something human-sized to have that kind of durability. However, since we're already operating under unrealistic assumptions I decided to note it.
uc pseudonym

Next

Return to Book Corner