Gone With the Wind

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Gone With the Wind

Postby Rita » Mon May 16, 2005 6:02 am

I was just wondering if anyone has read the book? I love the book, it has to be one of my all time favourites. I know lots of people have seen the movie and think it's boring, but I find the book far better than the movie (although Talame would say they were both boring). :P
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-5
Rita

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 16, 2005 8:53 am

Wow! Another Gone with the Wind fan!? Inconceivable!!

I really like both the book and the movie, despite the heckling of my peers. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yumie » Mon May 16, 2005 9:02 am

I like the movie, but I've never read the book. I probably should sometime though. . .
Yumie

Postby Rita » Tue May 17, 2005 5:45 am

Fellow "Gone With the Wind" lovers! I never thought I'd find anyone who had read and loved the book!

I love Melly, she is so sweet and adorable. Who are your favourite characters? Has anyone read the sequal "Scarlett? (It's not written by the same author though.)
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-5
Rita

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue May 17, 2005 4:00 pm

I actually kinda liked. . . Scarlett. :sweat:

Yes, she was a brat and a bit of a seductress, but I can't help but love Southern girls, like myself, who have firey personalities!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Rita » Tue May 17, 2005 4:38 pm

Yeah, I liked Scarlett too, how could you not, but I just meant that I liked Melly trhe best. I mean, how can you love a book if yo hate the main character?
Rita

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Gone with the Wind!!! Yes! I loved the movie, and I adored the book. I watched the movie first about six years ago with my mother, who is also a Gone with the Wind fan. I tried picking it up right after that, but only got through the first hundred pages or so before I lost interest. *o*/ Then, a couple years ago, my mother bought the DVD's for the movie and I watched it about three or four times in a week, and well.. XD I just had to read the book. Scarlett is definitely one of my all-time favorite characters. It was a very interesting read, and I think I just might dedicate some time to it again. ^__^

>__> I read the "sequel," Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley, and also watched the movie rendition. Don't go near it; kill it with fire. It was so... dumb.
Jasdero

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:40 pm

Am I the only guy on the thread?

I went to a revival screening a few years back, expecting to make fun of it. Instead, I was really impressed by the intense story. I should pick up the novel someday, but I've heard the author's sttyle is hard to follow. Is that true?
Arnobius

Postby Rita » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:16 pm

Um, I didn't find it that hard to follow, but I think maybe it's just that the book is so lengthy.
I had never seen the movie when I read the book. My grandmother gave me her copy of Gone With the Wind from when she was a girl, and I started reading it and loved it. I've probably read it at least 20 times now, and I had to buy a new copy, cause my grandma's one was falling apart. :P

I've been looking for a copy of "Scarlett" to read, but it isn't in any of the bookshops here, so I've been scouring the 2nd hand ones with no luck. I know it's probably bad, sequals written by different authors usually are. Don't even get me started on the sequal to the Pahntom of the Opera...
Rita

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:37 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Am I the only guy on the thread?

*gasp* Why! I believe you are! That makes you extra special! XD

AnimeHeretic wrote:I went to a revival screening a few years back, expecting to make fun of it. Instead, I was really impressed by the intense story. I should pick up the novel someday, but I've heard the author's sttyle is hard to follow. Is that true?

^__^ *nodnod* Yes, do read it. Her style... well, I personally didn't find it difficult. My friend, on the other hand, said that even though she really wanted to read it, she couldn't stand Margaret Mitchell's style. So.... just give it a shot. It's an awesome book.

Rita wrote:I've been looking for a copy of "Scarlett" to read, but it isn't in any of the bookshops here, so I've been scouring the 2nd hand ones with no luck. I know it's probably bad, sequals written by different authors usually are. Don't even get me started on the sequal to the Pahntom of the Opera...

o.o I see, I see. XD; Well, good luck with that. There's a sequel to Phantom of the Opera? >__> I won't even touch it. Did you know that someone made a sequel to Pride and Prejudice? My mom and I were at Barnes and Noble, and when we saw it we both just laughed and walked right by it. XD;;;; I loved Pride and Prejudice... both the book and the movie.
Jasdero

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:01 pm

I started reading the book this weekend, didn't get far though since it wasn't mine and I had to give it back. Although I'm interested enough to buy it sometime.
ShiroiHikari

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:21 pm

Sunako wrote:*gasp* Why! I believe you are! That makes you extra special! XD

^__^ *nodnod* Yes, do read it. Her style... well, I personally didn't find it difficult. My friend, on the other hand, said that even though she really wanted to read it, she couldn't stand Margaret Mitchell's style. So.... just give it a shot. It's an awesome book.

Well, I have a day off tomorrow, so maybe I'll look for it. It would be nice to see the depth behind the characters I know from the movie.
Arnobius

Postby Rita » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:20 pm

I would definitely recommend it! There is so much more to the book that they just didn't have time to fit into the movies. Like the fact that Scarlett actually had 2 children before she had Bonnie Blue, one to each of her husbands.

Hmm...I'm really in the mood for Gone With the Wind now...

*goes off to read the book for the 21st time*
Rita

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Rita wrote:I would definitely recommend it! There is so much more to the book that they just didn't have time to fit into the movies. Like the fact that Scarlett actually had 2 children before she had Bonnie Blue, one to each of her husbands.

Hmm...I'm really in the mood for Gone With the Wind now...

*goes off to read the book for the 21st time*

I bought it yesterday. Se if I can get time to start it. Never knew about the two kids. Sounds good.
Arnobius

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:02 am

I haven't read it, but the way it portrays the KKK is pretty interesting. They started off with good intentions. My sister's in love with this book.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Rita » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:07 pm

Yeah, it gives a whole different perspective to the Confederates during and after the civil war than what people are usually aware of.

I think your sister and I would get on very well, cause I adore the book!
Rita

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:37 pm

I'm still early on in the book, but I'm really getting into it, with the detail and chara development-- seems to make things in the movie make more sense...
Arnobius

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:38 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:I'm still early on in the book, but I'm really getting into it, with the detail and chara development-- seems to make things in the movie make more sense...

Precisely! How are you liking/disliking it, by the way?
Jasdero

Postby Arnobius » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:09 am

Well, I finished it today, and found it a very well written book. Worth the time it took to invest in it.

I do have to say I don't understand why it is called a "love story." It seemed to me to be more like a morality story. The result of a selfish life. But maybe it's just me.

I do think I will pass on "Scarlett" though. I just don't think Rhett would want her back in his life...
Arnobius

Postby Jasdero » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:07 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:Well, I finished it today, and found it a very well written book. Worth the time it took to invest in it.

I do have to say I don't understand why it is called a "love story." It seemed to me to be more like a morality story. The result of a selfish life. But maybe it's just me.

I do think I will pass on "Scarlett" though. I just don't think Rhett would want her back in his life...

Yes! Very good! ^__^

I didn't either. The movie was definitely more of a love story, but the book... There were so many other elements in it. I guess in the "BIG PICTURE" sort of sense, it is a love story, but I think it could be a few other things.

Scarlett was pretty dumb. Meanwhile! I agree with you, sadly. I think Scarlett lost him.
Jasdero

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:10 am

. . . I guess I'm a hopeless romantic.

I always liked to think that Scarlett repented to her self-centered ways, became a woman like her mother like she had always wanted to be, and got Rhett back.

Unlikely? Yes. But the Osaka's mind rarely works in logical ways. ;)

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:31 am

[quote="Mangafanatic"]. . . I guess I'm a hopeless romantic.

I always liked to think that Scarlett repented to her self-centered ways, became a woman like her mother like she had always wanted to be, and got Rhett back.

Unlikely? Yes. But the Osaka's mind rarely works in logical ways. ]

I wish it would happen that way too, but it doesn't seem that it would at all... which is probably the reason why I despise this book so much. I can't stand that Scarlett was so stupid over Rhett and the other guy (lol I forgot his name already-Melanie's husband, he had a name that was more used for girls... Kelly? No...) to the point that it ruined what chance she would have had with Rhett... The hopeless romantic in me screams against this fate, but sadly, it seems that that was how it ended, with Scarlett and Rhett never getting together happily :(
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby IZ&Trigun4life » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:54 am

Melanie's husband was Ashley lol. I read this thread and got confused. What happens in the sequal..."Scarlett".....does she get back with Rhett or not? LOL! it's probably there but I just didn't see it. Can someone please clear that up?
Image "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not."-Jeremiah 33:3
Yes I love my God, He is the fountain of life and my savior. He keeps me going day and night, without Him, I am no one, But with Him I can do everything, Christ is my strength

Adopted By:
Silvanis
Sakura's Wings
Tidus20

Adopted Neko Brother: Jaden Mental

*is still waiting for more offers lol*

Christians are not narrow minded. We are moral minded!

"My Heart Is Beeping....For The INVISIBLE CHILDREN"
IZ&Trigun4life

Postby harina » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:29 am

I've seen the movie MANY times but I haven't read the book (yet). I started it once, but it was so boring in the beginning that I gave up.. ^___^;;;

Has anyone read the book "Scarlett"? I haven't, but the tv series (or is it only for VHS?) looked so stupid that I haven't thought of reading it..
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Return to Book Corner