Ender's Game, one of the best?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Ender's Game, one of the best?

Postby The Last Bard » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:12 am

I read this book awhile back and just loved it! I mean it has an amazing story, nice dark plot, and believable characters!
Of course this book is not for everyone, I guess...Some people say it's too dark and brutal.
But this is one book that I'm really glad I own!
I just think this to be an amazing book, what do you all think about it?

TLB
The Last Bard

Postby Kaori » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:22 am

Well, the book is very well-written and engaging; the tactical elements are particularly good. However, I did find it too disturbing for my taste--the overt sexuality, the degree of profanity, and the fact that the acts of brutality being portrayed are committed by children. I might actually have gotten rid of my copy of the book for those reasons; I am somewhat unlikely to ever reread it.

Despite that, it is a good book--very innovative and memorable.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby soul alive » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:32 am

i greatly enjoyed this book. i did have a bit of a problem with the things Kaori mentioned, though. but i still re-read it every once in a while. the whole idea of children playing war games, but actually being trained to be super-soldier-commanders was really intriguing.

i liked this book, and the Shadow spin-off series much better than the end of the Ender series, which i found rather depressing. and Card has just released the next book in the Shadow series... must find it sometime.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby kaji » Mon May 02, 2005 10:04 am

It's been quite a while since I read Enders Game. But it has always been one of my favorites.

Despite the questionable language and ocasional brutality, the book notably changed the way I plan and evaluate cercomstances. I think I could attribute Enders Game as the source of most my strategies.

But anyway, just a cool book, that is exciting, though provoking and well written.

Oh! Remeber that game that he used to play in his room? That was quite the interesting touch to the story, dont you think?

-kaji
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby glitch1501 » Mon May 02, 2005 10:53 am

i have really wanted to read this series

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby oro! » Thu May 05, 2005 3:30 pm

I tried to read this, but really couldn't. The violence was too much for me.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu May 05, 2005 8:46 pm

It's always good to know that the enemy gate is down.

Still, it seemed a little contrived toward the end.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri May 06, 2005 8:40 am

What really surprised me was how popular opinion on the author went from stellar to subterranean after his statements on one of the many political firetraps of our century.
Cap'n Nick

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sun May 08, 2005 7:09 pm

soul alive wrote:i liked this book, and the Shadow spin-off series much better than the end of the Ender series, which i found rather depressing. and Card has just released the next book in the Shadow series... must find it sometime.

Yeah- I really loved Bean in Ender's Game, so I was really excited to find Ender's Shadow. [SPOILER]I cry everytime I think about the fact that Bean knew the whole time that those people were real soldiers, and when he gave them that last message before they all died for earth- "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!" from 2 Samuel.[/SPOILER] He was so wonderful! :sniffle:

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Locke » Mon May 09, 2005 9:21 pm

VioletEyedCat wrote:Yeah- I really loved Bean in Ender's Game, so I was really excited to find Ender's Shadow. [SPOILER]I cry everytime I think about the fact that Bean knew the whole time that those people were real soldiers, and when he gave them that last message before they all died for earth- "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!" from 2 Samuel.[/SPOILER] He was so wonderful! :sniffle:

Yeah, Bean was a cool dude ^_^
I have the book and I'll have to read it again after reading this thread.

Oh and the fact that:
[spoiler] Bean know's that his life is shortend is very encouraging to me ^_^ [/spoiler]
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby kirakira » Fri May 20, 2005 11:14 pm

I keep looking for Ender's Game at the library, but it's always checked out. *sweatdrop* I can't decide if it's worth buying or not, I've heard such mixed views on it. ^_^;
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby FadedOne » Sun May 22, 2005 6:45 pm

oooh..I read this back around Christmas b/c a friend loved it. The only thing that seemed over-prominent was the language. It messed with my head, but was pretty enjoyable if weird. I keep telling myself I'm going to read more, but I haven't yet..
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sun May 22, 2005 8:02 pm

[quote="kirakira"]I keep looking for Ender's Game at the library, but it's always checked out. *sweatdrop* I can't decide if it's worth buying or not, I've heard such mixed views on it. ^_^]

Love it or hate it, you won't be wasting your time or your money. It's also a very popular book so finding a cheap copy shouldn't be a problem. Check it out, you can find a used copy for under $2 on Amazon.
Cap'n Nick

Return to Book Corner