Neil Gaiman's Sandman?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:15 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I actually enjoyed the ending very much, it's just other sections didn't impress me much. Thanks for being so understanding.

I felt the same way the first time, but upon re-readings, I've found a lot of stuff I missed. There's a ton of very subtle stuff. I'd recommend a re-reading, and even looking up some critical analysis' of the book. You'll find some really interesting stuff.

Currently, I think Watchmen is one of the best comics I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Most of Alan Moore's stuff is pretty brilliant, though some of it I've definitely disliked.

Also, Neil's currently doing an "Eternals" mini for Marvel. I've read the first three (of seven) issues, but I haven't enjoyed it so much. I don't think Neil's the best superhero writer.

As far as Sandman, technically it isn't required to read most of them chronologically, but as the others have mentioned, the last two volumes should be kept for the last two.

Some of the volumes are just short stories, and others don't have much to do with the overall plot about Dream and the others, so I'd still recommend checking out four and seven after the first one. Volume seven, Brief Lives, is my personal pick for the best of the series.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:12 am

Joshua Christopher wrote:Some of the volumes are just short stories, and others don't have much to do with the overall plot about Dream and the others, so I'd still recommend checking out four and seven after the first one.

Yeah, but they do introduce minor characters that show up later in the series. If you hadn't read a certain chapter out of a "short story" volume, you might later come upon a character and think "Where did he/she come from?" Ah, it's all worth reading, anyway. The only one I've yet to read is The Wake. I'll get it when I can spare the dough (and when I get caught up on all the reading I've already got in front of me).
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:21 am

I'm a big Neil Gaiman reader. But I've been spotty on Sandman because I checked them out of the library, which doesn't have all the issues. I think I'm gonna start over from the beginning. He is a very spiritually oriented writer, and I would say he plays around with the idea a lot that gods exist only as much as they are believed in, but this was the theme of American Gods and Anansi's Boys. But, anyway, I can see I've missed a lot with Sandman - so back to issue 1.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:I felt the same way the first time, but upon re-readings, I've found a lot of stuff I missed. There's a ton of very subtle stuff. I'd recommend a re-reading, and even looking up some critical analysis' of the book. You'll find some really interesting stuff.

You know, I should probably look for this once I have more free time. As big a fan of the book as I am, I haven't actually read it a second time.

SpoonyBard wrote:Yeah, but they do introduce minor characters that show up later in the series. If you hadn't read a certain chapter out of a "short story" volume, you might later come upon a character and think "Where did he/she come from?"

Because I read the series from volumes at the library, I did it in a terrible order (started in the middle, read some parts backward, etc) and had this to some degree. But actually, it isn't so bad]I don't think Neil's the best superhero writer.[/quote]
I did find Marvel 1602 to be solid fun. Different than Sandman, but that's alright.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:55 pm

I've now read volumes 2, 3 and 4. 2 was very mediocre (I didn't like it at all), 3 was much better and pretty decent and volume 4 was excellent. I loved all the Paradise Lost references.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:12 pm

But, but, but I like Volume 2. It had GK Chesterton in it!
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 pm

No, the Chesterton bit was good, but I didn't like much else. Also the art seems to improve from volume to volume. I really like the art in volume 4 (and 3 has some great art too).
I certainly don't think Doll's House (vol.2) is the masterpiece of the series that many think, but maybe it's just not my thing.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Maledicte » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 pm

[quote="uc pseudonym"]
Because I read the series from volumes at the library, I did it in a terrible order (started in the middle, read some parts backward, etc) and had this to some degree. But actually, it isn't so bad]

I did worse than you: the first volume I read was "The Kindly Ones." :P

Personally, I had fun exploring the characters out-of-order. It allowed me to connect the dots and enjoy the characters out of context.

I don't remember which volume it is, but the one with the issues "Ramadan" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is my favorite. I wouldn't recommend anyone read it first, as it helps to have a bit of background on the characters to get the full impact of each story.

Somewhat related, Neil's "Death: The High Cost of Living" is a good little book, too.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Rachel, that's the 3rd volume - Dream Country. It was a good one, wasn't it?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 am

The thing with Doll's House wasn't that it lacked quality, it was just uneven in terms of what it wanted to be. At that point in the comic, we were transitioning from "horror" to "fantasy."

Next, I'd recommend picking up my favourite volume, Brief Lives (#7). Jill Thompson's art is, to me, the quintessential Sandman art.

Yeah, High Cost of Living is really great. It's a short read, too.

Also, Ramadan is in volume 6, Fables & Reflections (another short story collection).
Joshua Christopher

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 am

Oops, I've reserved (library) vol. 5 and vol. 6 already.

*runs away*
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Animus Seed » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:47 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I did worse than you: the first volume I read was "The Kindly Ones." :P

Personally, I had fun exploring the characters out-of-order. It allowed me to connect the dots and enjoy the characters out of context.

I don't remember which volume it is, but the one with the issues "Ramadan" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is my favorite. I wouldn't recommend anyone read it first, as it helps to have a bit of background on the characters to get the full impact of each story.

Somewhat related, Neil's "Death: The High Cost of Living" is a good little book, too.

I used to have The High Cost of Living autographed by Neil. Sadly, it is lost.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Nikolai Melodie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:58 am

I liked the idea of the seven Endless, they were cute. Death was adorable... but other then that, I didn't really like the series all that much. It was just too out there for me.
:angel:
Nikolai Melodie

Postby Kat Walker » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:12 pm

My (now ex) boyfriend purchased Sandman: Endless Nights for me on a whim as a Christmas gift a couple of years back. I really enjoyed the stories and the team of artists that were chosen to work on it, despite never having been exposed to Gaiman's stories before.

Since then I've been trying to look for more issues, but my local Waldenbooks has a very pathetic collection of graphics novels (either that, or people keep buying them all out of stock!). So I'll probably try to order them off of Amazon or something.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Sheol777 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:19 pm

I really enjoyed The Sandman trades.

Preludes and Nocturnes (1st story) and A Season of Mists are the best....A Game of You is the worst.

There is a bit of sex and violence in these TPB's that I remember, but if you read Endless Nights, you know what you are getting into.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:37 pm

A Game of You was . . . abstract (to say the least), but I rather liked it. My favorite was The Kindly Ones, which is strange because art-wise it was my least favorite. I guess that just speaks to Gaiman's abilities as a storyteller. Even if the whole thing has weird art, it's still great.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Previous

Return to Book Corner