The 5 People You Meet In Heaven

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The 5 People You Meet In Heaven

Postby Rin-chan679 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:49 pm

A really great book that I recommend to everyone is "The 5 people you meet in heaven" by Mitch Albom... its a really awesome book. Theres also a movie of it but everyone knows the books are almost always better... ;)
Rin-chan679

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:46 pm

i shall check this out!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:38 pm

I remember really wanting to read this book last year. Then... I just forgot about it. o_o I'll be sure to pick it up the next time I go to a bookstore.
Jasdero

Postby Sparrow Writer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:49 am

The Five People You Meet In Heaven is really good. I had to read it for school and I actually liked it. I still haven't seen the movie...it came out right after I read the book too!
"Ah, look, Kouryuu...the birds are returning north. Can you see? ...Kouryuu. Who do you suppose decided birds are free? They can fly wherever they choose...but if there's no branch for them to return to...they might regret having wings, don't you think? Perhaps true freedom...is having a home to return to."

~Adopted By~
Silvanis
Sparrow Writer

Postby oro! » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:28 pm

I don't really think I'd like this book. Isn't it jsut about how heaven isn't heaven, but a place you look back over your life in? Just sounds like something new-agey, not glorifying to God.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby BlueDiamonds » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:31 am

What's it about?
Ipod Shuffle: The Letter Black: "Hanging On."
BlueDiamonds

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 am

BlueDiamonds (post: 1424918) wrote:What's it about?

ooops, Gravedig! (CAA mods don't like the bringing up of threads that are about 5 years old.)

But regardless- the premise of The 5 People You Meet in Heaven is that a man dies while saving a girl from a falling cart from a roller coaster.

He finds himself in a place that was important to him in the past, his own version of "heaven", a place where he was very happy during his life, and from there is "shown", or "lead" to five different points in his memories, where he meets five people who were very important to him- whether he knew it or not. They were people who taught him important lessons in life. They all died within (usually) a short amount of time of interacting with him.

And those ultimately show him that his life really was important and had purpose, by protecting those that came to the amusement park.
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:04 am

oro! (post: 496144) wrote:I don't really think I'd like this book. Isn't it jsut about how heaven isn't heaven, but a place you look back over your life in? Just sounds like something new-agey, not glorifying to God.

I think the point is not so much about heaven as it is about working through the issues in life. That's what I carried away from it. But I read it almost a year ago, so I don't remember it incredibly well. I remember that I didn't think I'd like it, but I couldn't put it down, and I really loved it. It made me cry.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Atria35 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1424935) wrote:I think the point is not so much about heaven as it is about working through the issues in life. That's what I carried away from it. But I read it almost a year ago, so I don't remember it incredibly well. I remember that I didn't think I'd like it, but I couldn't put it down, and I really loved it. It made me cry.

You do realize you're responding to a 5-year-old post, right?
Atria35

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:44 am

My bad. I usually just respond to the threads that have been brought up new, and I don't really notice when people posted something... :/
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 am

Wow. This thread is older than most five-year old children! Landmark event.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to Book Corner