Nathaniel Hawthorne

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Postby Yokou » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:28 pm

Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my favorite auhors. My favorite book that he has written is "The Scarlet Letter". It has very good characters, a nice setting, and a complex plot. It is beautifully detailed. I love it ^^
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Adopted by: Black Rose Misao
Adopter of Kisa and Sesshoumaru
Yokou

Postby Bunny » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:49 pm

The Scarlet Letter was great! I had to read it for a class assignment and after six hour projects, tests, and essays, I still love it. (Which says a lot. I usually hate anything that's forced on me. ^^;; ) I love his use of metaphor but he seems to go into descriptive overkill from time to time. Just his style, I guess, but for people like me with short attention spans, it can get a bit boring in areas.
Pearl was my favorite character. Everyone in my class insisted that she was a demon child but I thought she was just misunderstood. XD
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby Kaori » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:10 pm

It is indeed a good book. I was slightly put off by Hawthorne's rather negative view towards the Puritans, but it is very beautifully written. Have you ever read "The Minister's Black Veil?" It's a short story by the same author. Very intersting.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Yokou » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:08 am

Yes, I have read that one. It was very inspirational.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Adopted by: Black Rose Misao
Adopter of Kisa and Sesshoumaru
Yokou

Postby Ingemar » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:22 am

I've read "SL" and another book, "The House of Seven Gables." I can tell Hawthorne is a good writer, but he just bores me to tears. 7Gables had an interesting premise, but it goes way overboard in exposition, and goes well past the halfway point before anything interesting, related to the awesome intro happens. So I chucked it and gave up. When I read the Cliffs Notes later, I said, "Oh man, I missed such a great story!" Oh well.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby The-Case » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:24 am

Kaori wrote:It is indeed a good book. I was slightly put off by Hawthorne's rather negative view towards the Puritans, but it is very beautifully written. Have you ever read "The Minister's Black Veil?" It's a short story by the same author. Very intersting.

[color=Red]I think the Puritans deserved a lot of the reputation Hawthorn gave them. Persecuted in England, they came to America seeking religious freedom, but once they got here, they offered no such freedom to anyone else. In my opinion, they were one of the most oppressive groups in early America. It wasn't until the puritan minister Roger Williams was exiled to the Road Island Colony that the Quakers were formed and religious freedom allowed (if only in that small, Road Island Colony). By the way, Williams was exiled for his beliefs that church ministers should not be colony leaders (Church-State separation) and that the natives should be paid for the land the Puritans took from them.

Aside from that, the Puritans believed in predestination. By that, I mean they detested the arrogant notion that salvation could be personally chosen. They believed God willfully denied salvation to people just because He could. Only the elect or justified could enter Heaven, and the evidence of that justification was what they called "sanctification", or holy behavior allegedly resulting from justification. They never believed that sanctification could bring about justification, but many who wanted others to regard them as elect would act chronically holier-than-thou and impose strict, harsh, impossible standards on others to show (and possibly make sure) they were justified. As you can imagine, this mode of thinking led to a lot of down-nose looking and harsh law and paradigm. Much of what is read in The Scarlet Letter, though perhaps exaggerated, is probably not that far from the truth.

I liked The Scarlet Letter. Any problems I had with it were brought about by the issues it raised or minor stylistic preferences. There is no doubt that this book is one of the greats! I think reading the old classics is great, though I find I have little time to read anymore]
Hey it's me,
----Chase the Case
The-Case

Postby Bunny » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:13 am

The-Case wrote:It wasn't until the puritan minister Roger Williams was exiled to the Road Island Colony that the Quakers were formed and religious freedom allowed (if only in that small, Road Island Colony).

Actually, I'm pretty sure the Quakers were started in the good ole state of Pennsylvania by William Penn. ^^ But I have to say I didn't exactly object to his condemning of Puritan hypocrisy, either.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby The-Case » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Oops! You're absolutly right! :( I should check my facts a little better next time before I open my big mouth. I am SO sorry!

It seems that Roger Williams never really started a new religion, merely, a sort of denomination of Puritanism where he propigated his belief in religious tolerance. Again, I'm really, really sorry. :red:
Hey it's me,
----Chase the Case
The-Case

Postby The-Case » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Oops! You're absolutly right! :( I should check my facts a little better next time before I open my big mouth. I am SO sorry!

It seems that Roger Williams never really started a new religion, merely, a sort of denomination of Puritanism where he propigated his belief in religious tolerance. Again, I'm really, really sorry. :red:

------

**Accidental double post** You can think of it as me being doublely sorry.
Hey it's me,
----Chase the Case
The-Case

Postby Bunny » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Oh, dude. Relax! It's a super-easy mistake. I didn't mean to embarrass you. ^^;;

Bunny

Postby kirakira » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:21 pm

I really don't care for Hawthorne. *sweatdrop* His style just isn't my cup of tea, I suppose. "he just bores me to tears" As Ingemar so eloquently put it. *lol* We read House of Seven Gables last year in Humanities class, and while I do pride myself in being one of the few people to actually read it, it just wasn't my favorite. ^_^
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Sparrowhawk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:38 pm

I read it just a couple of months ago, and i thought it was well written, and, as far as American "classics" go, it is my favorite. Unfortunately, I don't care much for american literature besides fantasy, which does not get much recognition. However that's nothing against Hawthorne. It's just that the Scarlet Letter was more character development than plot, and i prefer plot first. Great book though, i started it for school, but was was finished when my class was still only about a quarter of the way through.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:32 pm

I enjoyed the two books of Hawthorne's that I've read. "House of Seven Gables" and "The Scarlet Letter." Both I had to read for school, but enjoyable nontheless. I absolutely loved the symbolism in "The Scarlet Letter."
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby John316 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:38 am

The-Case wrote:Aside from that, the Puritans believed in predestination. By that, I mean they detested the arrogant notion that salvation could be personally chosen. They believed God willfully denied salvation to people just because He could.

I don't think you should be putting down people who believe in predestination (as there still are many who do, some of whom do post on these boards).
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
John316

Postby Scribs » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:19 pm

I have read "the scarlet letter"

It was good, but not good enough to make me want to read more by Hawthorne
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Return to Book Corner