THE Great Romances in English Lit.

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

THE Great Romances in English Lit.

Postby Lehn » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:13 pm

Sooooo… I’ve been working on my reading list for my AP Lit Research paper, and I’ve hit a wall. My topic is The Great Romances in English literature; both tragic and fairy tale alike. I need 10 of them to be on my final reading list as sources; and so far my list is of 11, but I’m unsure of some of them (hence the ‘???’). Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

My reading list:

1. Daniel Deronda by George Elliot
2. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
3. Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
4. Tristan and Iseult {{{ translated myth }}}(????)***
5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
6. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare (????)***
7. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
8. Le Morte de D’Arthur by Malory (????)***
9. The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
10. Anthony and Cleopatra by Shakespeare (????)
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

*** All three of these pieces date back to the Tristan & Iseult legend in some way; it’s what Malory based Gwen and Lance’s relationship off of, and extremely parallel to the Romeo and Juliet story… So, I’ll probably use only one of the three in the long run.
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby JoyfulSongs » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:19 pm

*ahem* Anything by Jane Austen?
JoyfulSongs

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I was under the impression that the great Gatsby was written by an American. If so that could be a problem. It is a good book though.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Lehn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:13 am

piloswine wrote:I was under the impression that the great Gatsby was written by an American. If so that could be a problem. It is a good book though.

Yeah, Fitzgerald was an American. Ironically, he's the only American on my list so far..... I’m not required to stick to just European authors, :lol: I guess I'm just partial to them though.

JoyfulSongs wrote:*ahem* Anything by Jane Austen?

I know, I know.... It's probably blasphemy to put together a list like this without her and a Bronte sister on it… But I'm not very familiar with her writings. What would you suggest? :thumb:
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby JoyfulSongs » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:13 pm

Lehn wrote:I know, I know.... It's probably blasphemy to put together a list like this without her and a Bronte sister on it… But I'm not very familiar with her writings. What would you suggest? :thumb:

Depends on what "feel" you want. The main six are all very different. YOu could PM me...
JoyfulSongs

Return to Book Corner