times to master a book

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

times to master a book

Postby Mr. Rogers » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 pm

this is a weird, random question i know, but how many times do they say you need to read a book to master it? XD
Mr. Rogers

Postby c.t.,girl » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:25 pm

hmmm...i only read books once. ^^d
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:27 pm

It depends on the book. Some books only need one or a couple passes, others require quite a few. Still others remain useful references for many years.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby haru_bay_nay » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:13 pm

I agree with Kaligraphic. Also, if it's an awesome book, you can always read it a bazillion times to be an expert...Of course, I guess I'm kind of a freak when it comes to reading a good book. (Example- I am known to viciously attack classmates that are in possession of literature I want. Yes, I'm a bit eccentric, but...still...) @.@
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:15 pm

Sometimes thick books have a lot of ideas laid bare in the open for you to ponder about. But some books, like "The Man who was Thursday", which is my favourite book, can be read twenty times and still have things worth thinking about it. I'm still trying to perceive all its enigmas because it is billed as an allegory. Actually it is probably four allegories written over each other, one over-lapsing the other. It is more allegories than one book should have but the fact that the movie is a lot of fun to read make it bareable.

The fact is not whether you should understand a book by reading it twenty times, but the fact that you enjoy trying to figure it out. What does it matter if you spend 30 years of your life studdying James Joyce's Ulysses if you don't enjoy reading a single word of it?
bigsleepj

Return to Book Corner