You know you read too much when...

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

You know you read too much when...

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:37 pm

...your parents take away your library books when you don't do your chores.

...you turn in your term theme a day late because you were up all night reading the night before it was due and didn't get it all organised.

...you barely pass geometry your sophomore year because you don't pay attention to what the teacher says because you're thinking about the book you just finished.

...you find at night that you haven't eaten all day, you've just been reading the new "Harry Potter" book.

I hope this is in the right place. :sweat:
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Icarus » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:36 pm

You find that you can survive on three hours of sleep because of books.

... You had a thousand dollars yesterday... Now, you have books.

... You struggle with the question: a book today, or lunch tomorrow?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 am

... you go to bed at 12pm and read to 3pm (yes I'm guilty, more than once).
... you go shopping to check out the latest book releases or to buy a book
... all you talk about it books
... a book is your best (an only) friend
... you find books more interesting than people
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Needle Noggin » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:26 am

........When you make these topics.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby soul alive » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:14 pm

...when your latest reading books are the first things you pack when you go somewhere

...when you get characters/plots/settings in books confused with reality

...when the library staff doesn't have to ask your name when you go to check out the books

...when you start making requests about which books the library should get

(and yes, i am guilty of all of these in my list and quite a few in the other lists... ^^)
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kenshin17 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:38 pm

If you start dressing and acting like Yamiko, Michelle, or Maggi of R.O.D fame ;)
(Sorry I just couldn't resist)
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:30 am

You wish you could marry Yomiko Readman - for her library.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Rachel » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:18 pm

soul alive wrote:...when the library staff doesn't have to ask your name when you go to check out the books

Oh wow...I just have to say this even though it's not exactly on topic.
My family...we read a lot and we go to the library a lot. So much so in fact we're on a first name basis with the librarians. Anyways, one time last year it had been maybe two months since we had last gone to the library. So we walk into the library and we see the children's librarian and he came over to us and said " Hey, it's the A******'s! I haven't seen you guys in a while, I was starting to get worried." I kid you not, that actually happened. Anyways.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:12 pm

...when the thing you are most excited about during breaks from school is reading books that you actually choose.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby oro! » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:06 am

soul alive wrote:...when your latest reading books are the first things you pack when you go somewhere

...when you get characters/plots/settings in books confused with reality

...when the library staff doesn't have to ask your name when you go to check out the books

...when you start making requests about which books the library should get

I am or was guilty of all of these. This year I have been getting more social, but still at lunch or any time in school with no friends is when I read. They have been getting on to me. One was like, "You and your real friends, I see". She was just kidding of course.
Once I was talking about this girl in this series, and my Dad thought i was talking about a real friend. He was like, I want to meet her. I also sometimes read too much that my brain gets fuzzy, so the reality point changes.
At the school library I can be seen every morning it's open, and I do check out often. The ladies were like, don't finish it too soon! this break.
My library doesn't have all the Heinlein, or hardly any Christian books, so I have requested those. :hits_self
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:20 pm

I visit the library probably once a week and borrow a stack of books to read. The librarians often comment that, "they should last you a couple hours."
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:04 pm

When you understand what C.H. Dodd means when he's writing a letter to John A.T. Robinson (published in Robinson's Redating the New Testament) what he means when he complains that the sincere New Testament scholar's findings will be rejected if he doesn't take into account the latest findings of a fashionable Redaktionsgeschichte, and that it is notable that historians who examing the New Testament are unaffected by the complexities of Redaktionsgeschichte.
GhostontheNet

Postby Cedahlia » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:09 pm

...you miss the bus because you were too absorbed in a book to actually hear the announcement. (Happened to me more than once)

...you re-read the same books over and over so much that the cover falls off because you are waiting for a new order of books to come in.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby jeezus_fureek » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:41 am

-your book gets taken away from the teacher when you're reading in class
... and then take out another book and continue to read and that gets taken away too... (cruel educators.. >_<)

-you have 20/20 vision one day, and magnified monster glasses the next (i can see a bacteria on your nose... xDD)

-you read the same book 12 times and still can't get enough of it (so what if i can remember what she exactly said on page 142?! @_@)

-you cuddle your book next to your cheek (it was only once! or twice..=/)

-you and your local librarian start chit-chatting about the most recent episode of gilmore girls like you two were college roommates (why did rory and dean have to break up?!? =OO)

-you actually recommend books to your friends, though you know they're not gonna read it (don't be an illiterate american... -.-)

-you yell at the book in exciting parts like those loud people in movie theatres (don't die! don't die! O_O)

-you get yelled at by your friends to stop reading (ooh, that hurt! [grabs heart] 0.0)

-you read starting early in the morning, and then find your previously sunlight room, dark, because it's late evening (had a lot squinty-eyed nights! <_>)

(i am guilty as charged for most of these things, except for the 20/20 thing. my glasses are not magnified monster glasses. Q_Q)
Certainty of death...
Small chance of success...
What are we waiting for!
-Gimli, Return of the King

==

A Typical Episode of Inuyasha:
Inuyasha: Kagome!
Kagome: Inuyasha!
==

And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You,
Once again I pour out my life
-Matt Redman
==

jeezus_fureek wrote:FIRE HEARTS! NOT GUNS!

==

jeezus_fureek

Postby Locke » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:13 pm

....when you work at the library for 2 hours every monday and tuesday

....and stay for the kids reading time to help

....every single post here

(i am guilty as charged for most of these things, except for the 20/20 thing. my glasses are not magnified monster glasses. Q_Q)

i beg to differ!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Kat Walker » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:31 pm

... you go to bed at 12pm and read to 3pm (yes I'm guilty, more than once).

... you find books more interesting than people

...you find at night that you haven't eaten all day, you've just been reading the new "Harry Potter" book.

..when your latest reading books are the first things you pack when you go somewhere

...you re-read the same books over and over so much that the cover falls off because you are waiting for a new order of books to come in.

-you actually recommend books to your friends, though you know they're not gonna

-you read starting early in the morning, and then find your previously sunlight room, dark, because it's late evening (had a lot squinty-eyed nights! <_>)

Guilty. ;-;
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:54 pm

ehehe, when I was younger my parents once punished me by not letting me read for two weeks. They knew it would be the most effective method..
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby AnotherJounin » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:02 pm

Oh I have a good one-
When after a term of reading more than you have ever read for school before, you go to the bookstore on the last day of finals to buy your books for the coming year! You are of course horrified to learn that what cost about 200 some will only get you _maybe_ 20 back but you go ahead and spend it on the books for the new term... then you spend part of the ride home reading them. >nods<
When you and your few literary friends get together you describe RL experiences like things from books. "It was terrible, just like in (insert book name here)!"
AnotherJounin

Postby ZiP » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:06 pm

when you start describing your situation out loud.
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby oro! » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:40 pm

Heh... I only had to read the Fellowship of the Ring for it to start falling apart.
'Course it was some fourty years old. It was an original! I lost the ROTK when i read the series first time, and you can really see the difference. One looks like brand new, the other is taped up. I just read one of those new ROTK books. which stood up to my destructive powers
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:51 pm

When you step into a used bookstore and you can actually find the book you want by smell. I swear I've done that before: "I know it's here... *sniff sniff*... okay, this way... *sniff* down a shelf... over.... BINGO!"
I rarely ever buy books new. Used books are just better. They have more character. And they're cheaper, of course.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby VioletEyedCat » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Oh gosh- this thread is soo me. One time, my parents forced me to turn off my light and go to bed (my room is across the hall) and because I was in the middle of a really good book- I tried to read by the little red neon light of my clock. Scary. :red:

I actually wrote an essay about being a bookworm, too. If you want to spend the time reading it (and I think you do), here it is:

The Typical Bookworm

The typical bookworm is easy to spot, if one is looking for him. The hunched shoulders, the dark rings underneath the eyes, and of course, the novel clutched to his side are the usual signs. The culprit will more than likely have a pair of glasses placed precariously on the bridge of his nose, the result of too many nights spent reading in the dark. Those diagnosed with obsessive reading disorder, though, can come in many shapes and sizes, so be careful. ]
If you happen to meet one of these unfortunate creatures, don’t be offended if he mumbles a greeting and immediately resumes his book. This is normal behavior for such persons, along with any squeals, laughing, or sighs he may make at any point in time, usually in the middle of math class. If he begins to talk to himself, ignore him, because he is just conversing with the little voices in his head. Sooner or later he will stop talking, but if he does, beware, or you will be caught in the black hole commonly known as “The Readers’ Zone.â€

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:56 pm

[quote="VioletEyedCat"]Oh gosh- this thread is soo me. One time, my parents forced me to turn off my light and go to bed (my room is across the hall) and because I was in the middle of a really good book- I tried to read by the little red neon light of my clock. Scary. :red:

I actually wrote an essay about being a bookworm, too. If you want to spend the time reading it (and I think you do), here it is:

The Typical Bookworm

The typical bookworm is easy to spot, if one is looking for him. The hunched shoulders, the dark rings underneath the eyes, and of course, the novel clutched to his side are the usual signs. The culprit will more than likely have a pair of glasses placed precariously on the bridge of his nose, the result of too many nights spent reading in the dark. Those diagnosed with obsessive reading disorder, though, can come in many shapes and sizes, so be careful. ]
If you happen to meet one of these unfortunate creatures, don’]

Ah man, I am so guilty of that, with only minor differences. For example, instead of a book at my side, I always wear a black anorak with pockets sufficient to fit a 740 page N.T. Wright volume and a CD player, and likewise always have a book in it.
GhostontheNet

Postby Namelessknight » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:29 am

you know you read to much when you can discuss the lives of the characters of the current book you are reading more accurately and in greater detail than you can of your rl friends....
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby LostChild » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:17 pm

Namelessknight wrote:you know you read to much when you can discuss the lives of the characters of the current book you are reading more accurately and in greater detail than you can of your rl friends....

i guess that i read too much then, huh? :sweat: but ya can't blame me! no one else i know reads the sort of things i like!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby greyscale42 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:04 am

.... when you read an entire 800 page book in a day and dont eat or move for the entire time.
.... when you begin to wonder how characters in books would react to other characters from other books
.... when you daydream about being in a particular book
greyscale42

Postby LostChild » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:13 pm

greyscale42 wrote:.... when you read an entire 800 page book in a day and dont eat or move for the entire time.
.... when you begin to wonder how characters in books would react to other characters from other books
.... when you daydream about being in a particular book

:lol: i am guilty of all of the above. :sweat: will anyone press charges?

... when you admit that read too much,
...when you have 5 hour long discussions on one of the characters from a book,
... when you go to meetings discussing a particular book, and then there is such a big contraversy at the meetings that it takes over 3 months to finnish the one book.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:57 am

LostChild wrote::lol: i am guilty of all of the above. :sweat: will anyone press charges?
What? Those were fiction I hope, as though I've read giant books by N.T. Wright, I definately don't think I could read them one in a day no matter what.
GhostontheNet

Postby Jasdero » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:23 am

>.>;;;;; It seems as though my reading habits are indeed excessive.... o.o;;
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby oro! » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:56 pm

That was such a good essay! and is like me, in my book season. Right now, I am in the obsess over Kenshin manga season, in a couple of months it will be back to the books, or will it? :evil laughter:
oro!

Next

Return to Book Corner