You know you read too much when...

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Maledicte » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:pseudoantidistestablishmentarianism=falsely claiming to belonging to the
group within the Anglican church in favor of the established order of things.

Even better= Post-pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism.

And you forgot "discombobulated". Mwah.

Confused or disconcerted.
Maledicte

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:19 am

My grandmother uses "discombobulated" in her everyday vocabulary, I swear.

Okay, back on topic...you got a tattoo of a lightning bolt on your forehead. (People have actually done that...)
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Kkun » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:31 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:Even better= Post-pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism.

And you forgot "discombobulated". Mwah.

Confused or disconcerted.

I use discombobulated all the time. My other favorite is "egregious".

Me> "Why is it so egregious that I don't mind rap music?"
Friend's friend> "If you tell me what egregious means, then I'll tell you."
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Taka » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:10 am

I just said discombobulated, I love that word. :-) I knew all the others too, but I don't know egregious... off to http://www.m-w.com ;-)
And I'll stop this pretending that I can
Somehow deserve what I already have
I need You to love me
Barlow Girl
Taka

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:03 pm

you can tell how many historical inaccuracies that National Geographic Channel made in it's show on Hannibal versus Rome.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kanerou » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:19 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:you actually know the origin of the F word and other such words.

That was a strange one. But it was very funny. Wonder if anyone's gonna list that explanation here....

That reminds me: Tolkien has a series I hadn't known about! :dance: At least seven books in it, possibly more.

Since we're all such reading fanatics, anyone else ever grit their teeth when they see a spelling error in books?

....when it took 2 days to read The Sword of Shannara, and 2 days total to read the next two. :sweat:

.....when you're thrilled because Tolkien did what you do in your stories - [he] makes an entire universe to go with the story, follows each character to their deaths, and gives adequate (read: exhaustive) background on it.

*sees Post-psuedodisestablishmentarianism and falls, eyes swirling* Oh..... I love linguistics, but that makes even me go TILT.

ML, as an anal retentive English person, there is no apostrophe needed in the "its" you use.
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby FarmGirl » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Kanerou wrote:Since we're all such reading fanatics, anyone else ever grit their teeth when they see a spelling error in books?

Yes.
I read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories a couple of years ago in an insane need for logic (I was taking debate...we moved before any argumentation began). It wasn't terrible, but I still switch out Zs for Ss sometimes.

...When you get asked to moderate small forums based on your punctuation and spelling alone.

...When you consider a cloak instead of a coat for your wintering needs.

...When you shriek after spilling a little water on a (library) book.
Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
FarmGirl

Postby Icarus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:47 pm

...When you shriek after spilling a little water on a (library) book.

Who doesn't? And not just a library book. I loaned Gunslinger Girl v 1 to a friend over the summer, and when she gave it back, the pages were brown. I didn't let myself react until I reached the car.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:43 pm

When you endlessly correct other people's grammar.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kanerou » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:52 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:When you endlessly correct other people's grammar.

:grin: Nah, that's called being an anal retentive English type.
"You've gotta speak about those things you don't currently see as though they already exist. Back in the beginning, God didn't look into space and say, 'Gee, it's dark.' He called light into existence."

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1218170) wrote:Also, I hope never to hear "Nate" and "prance" in the same sentence again . . .
Kanerou

Postby Taka » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:01 am

Kanerou wrote::grin: Nah, that's called being an anal retentive English type.

AMEN. Dang annoying smart people.. :lol:
And I'll stop this pretending that I can
Somehow deserve what I already have
I need You to love me
Barlow Girl
Taka

Postby Kanerou » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:13 pm

Hey, now. I represent that remark. >.>

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby CHILD OF AVALON » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 pm

lol i dont know if any one has put this yet but you know it when you realize that u had started a book and read 3 days straight with little or no interuptions
EX
sleep= 3 hours
food eatin= none.
you find it maddining to get up and get anything of any nature to do anything because you wont put the book down.
lol i have done this on many occations
I <3 my sister Kit-chan very muchly :hug:
CHILD OF AVALON

Location: in the middle of nowhere usa which is just north of oblivion and south of end of the world

Postby Kanerou » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:04 am

Heh heh... that's truly impressive, CHILD OF AVALON! ^_^

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby Yeito » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:02 pm

*sigh*

Everyone named such good ones that I don't think I can name any xD;

I have caught my friend and I saying how we should make 'autobiographies' just to write about our lives.

Hurray for booklovers!!! <3 :o

I do remember one (kinda stupid) thing I did with a book though. I wanted my friend to read this book, but her mom wouldn't take her to the library so I got the book and read it to her over the phone. She fell asleep but I was so absorbed I didn't notice until after I had finished reading her the 800 page book. All the way through. Till about four that morning.

o_o And I had already read the book three times before. I just liked it that much and found it exhilarating to read out loud :3
Yeito

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Wow Yeito! Good effort. You are now BookWorm Queen! (What book was it by the way?)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kanerou » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:58 am

Whoa. You got me beat, Yeito.

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby Icarus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Swing, Yeito.

Edit: My sister thought of some:

...When you can appreciate something as complex as LOTR or The Wheel of Time, and at the same time, somthing as simple as Rober Mclasky or Curious George.

...You think Winnie the Pooh has a lot to teach about life.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Yeito » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 am

The book was First Test by Tamora Pierce.

One time when I was sick and at home from school I sat down to read a few chapters of Tamora Pierce's new book 'Trickster's Choice' cause I had just gotten it, and ended up finishing it in a few hours.
I love Tamora Pierce.
Yeito

Postby Kiba-kun » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

...when your math teacher threatned to burn your book cause you keep reading (is guilty of this)

...when your english teacher says you've been reading too much

...when you spend two hours picking out a book you havn't read
FKA Mythmaster

Why must we be abandoned in times of need?
Do others not see when we yearn for their touch;
An insatiable hunger only they can feed.
Left alone with out their words – fallen into darkness.
Stumbling blindly without their light,
We fall and scream, knowing we've faced too much,
Knowing the only answer is flight.
Flight from the lives we once faced
And the joys and terrors others have brought.
Our time with them, a time of joy and life,
Wonder we all, was it for naught?
Kiba-kun

Postby SVD997 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:55 pm

...When cleaning your room is a four day deal, because you have too read all the books you pick up off the floor.
...When your friends mock you because you know the ingredients of your toothpaste.
...You can finish reading a magazine in one meal.
...You have a book on your couch, your nightstand, your computer, your car, and in your bathroom.
...You write complaint letters to the cereal companies telling them to put more stuff on the boxes to read.
...When your school has a reading contest, your accused of cheating because there is no way anyone could read that many pages.
...When you are a full time college student, and still read for the fun of it.
...The highlight of your summer is reading.
...You scream and yell at the author while reading a book when they kill your favorite character.
...You comment, "The book was better than the movie," and your friends all look at you funny and say, "There was a book?"
...You walk out of the library with two grocery bags filled to overflowing with books from a book sale, and every one else barely has their's half full.
...This forum is a mirror.
This was so me in highschool.
Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of that great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
~Titus 2:13

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
SVD997

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 am

SVD997 wrote:...When cleaning your room is a four day deal, because you have too read all the books you pick up off the floor.
...You can finish reading a magazine in one meal.
...You write complaint letters to the cereal companies telling them to put more stuff on the boxes to read.

Comments on these:

I do the reading books thing all the time when I clean. It exasperates people.

I can finish a newspaper and several magazines, including a National Geographic or other such magazine in a meal. I typically clear 2 newspapers at breakfast.

My parents have removed the newspapers from the breakfast table before in an attempt to speed my consumption of the meal, only to find me reading the back of the cereal box moments later.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kanerou » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:28 am

mechana2015 wrote:My parents have removed the newspapers from the breakfast table before in an attempt to speed my consumption of the meal, only to find me reading the back of the cereal box moments later.

That's awesome.

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby Icarus » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:18 pm

mechana2015 wrote:My parents have removed the newspapers from the breakfast table before in an attempt to speed my consumption of the meal[.]

"Read a page, take a bite. Read a page, take a bite" became "Read three pages, take a bite. Read a chapter, take a bite..."
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby soul alive » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:46 pm

... when the librarian comments that she never has to worry about you returning books late, ever.

...over Christmas break, I read 15 books

... when money is tight, you refuse to drive past Borders/'insert other bookstore(s) here' because you know you won't escape without having to go in and spend money.

... you have the library's layout memorized and are better at directing people to books than the librarian is
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 pm

You get a tattoo of...Yomiko Readman!(Not that I've done that but it fits with the
subject of the topic)
mitsuki lover

Postby Icarus » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:13 pm

anonymous wrote:.. you've gone from bumping into everything because you were so absorbed in a book to actually being able to almost unconciously navigate around anywhere (including stairs and overhead objects and other obstacles in your path, even if you've never been there before) perfectly while still completely absorbed in a book.

That's going in my sig.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Kanerou » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:42 pm

If you can navigate that well, that's very impressive. ^_^

Gotta Getta Gundam. ;)

Kanerou

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:02 pm

You do better at Jeopardy than most members of Mensa.
mitsuki lover

Postby White » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:20 pm

...Your Parents Actually Want You To Spend Some Time On The TV, To Get Away From Reading :P

Your Bro In Christ,

White
White

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner