"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

Postby Arbre » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:29 pm

I've been hearing nothing but positive things about this book, and I'm curious if any of you have heard of it and checked into it yourselves.

I first heard about it from an e-mail group I'm a part of.

I'm a new Christian, so reading books like this kinda scare me because I know I don't have a solid foundation of background knowledge and understanding to compare things to see if they're Biblically sound. And as well-intentioned as an author may be, I know that stuff can still creep in that isn't completely true.

This probably unhealthy skepticism of religious themed books is why my library of Christian books is so small. Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" and "The Case For Faith" and several Bibles are all it consists of currently.

Thank you in advance for any comments any of you can offer about this book. :)
Arbre

Postby Muopii » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:04 pm

I personally haven't read it, but I plan to. I also have heard nothing but good stuff about this book.
Mistakenly Underestimated Ostrich Protecting Its Innocence. (Muopii)

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 :angel:

Live every moment for the Lord and let his light shine within you day by day. :jump: :jump:

Muopii

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:06 pm

I can't say I've read it, though I can say I've encountered this review by J.P. Holding http://www.tektonics.org/books/warrenr01.html . Personally, although I don't often seek inspirational books, I unexpectedly found that The Parables of Jesus by William Barclay http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/066425828X/qid=1102554144/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-7492403-7754307?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 not only provided the scholarship on the parables I was looking for, but also was a pretty inspirational read, and you might want to check that out, reading it, of course, hand in hand with the parables in the Bible. And of course, Christ's parables do well in compacting complex theologies into short stories, which may be useful to you.
GhostontheNet

Postby That Dude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:14 pm

I barely ever read books of it's nature but my family went through this one and it was great. It is very Biblically sound and I would completely recommend it to new christians like you. It is also a easy read so if you can you should check it out. Another good book to read (if you can handle a lot of violence) is Foxes Book Of Martyrs. Very good.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:31 pm

Sorry I can't help you out, but I know several people who who grew stronger in their faith because of it and also several people who were baptized after reading the book or doing the course. Welcome to God's family!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby shooraijin » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:10 pm

As a matter of fact, I'm holding a copy here. I'll be working through it next year with someone else.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Scribs » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 am

I started going through it with a group of friends last year. It is quite good. I like the way it has quotes starting off each chapter. But I didn't get far enough to really make a great assesment of the book. Reading it could certainly not hurt.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:13 pm

I haven't read it all, but my dad used it one night for a reading after dinner, and the portion he read was quite good - it was on Chapter three - about things that motivate us in our lives. I recommend at least that far in the book, and don't have any reservations about the rest, though I haven't read it.l
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Kaori » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:57 pm

I read the book in a small group context when it first came out. Basically everything that Warren says is sound biblical teaching, and it's an easy read, so it would probably be a good choice for a new believer. I was personally a bit put off by the writing style, which was not the best even compared to other contemporary Christian authors. However, don't let that keep you from enjoying the book. Considering how many people have found it powerful and life-changing, the quality of the book's composition is probably not the most important issue.
As for other books to add to your library, anything by C. S. Lewis would be a good choice both in terms of correct teaching and of high-quality writing. Mere Christianity is a good starting-point in terms of apologetics. You might also try St. Augustine's Confessions, although it's a much more difficult read than even Lewis's books.
Kaori

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:20 am

I haven't read it, but the title has me thinking...
Wouldn't a Christ-driven life be better than simply a purposedriven one? I mean, even unbelievers can have some sort of purpose.
Maledicte

Postby sonichiro » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:13 pm

its so funny that you mention it because we've been reading it and discussing its teachings at youth at my church for the past fourty days and just finished last sunday! i really liked it, you should read it. i totally agree with what you said about how things can creep in. the devil likes to use truth to confuse you. he will use something like a book that has a lot of truth in it and a little bit of lies in it to make you stumble, because most of whats in the book is true you think "well if thats true, then this must be true aswell" and start beleiving the lies. ya...hope that made sense.... any ways the book is good and everything has scripture to back it up....so ya....
thanks for your time-sonichiro
-- if white was black and black was white, what of shades of grey?
sonichiro

Postby jeezus_fureek » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:53 am

i read half way but had to stop due to the fact i was already doing another bible study which was pretty much frying my brain, but anyway... this book is for the new, old, or lost christian. when you need some evaluating on your faith, go to "purpose." when your "dry" and need a drink of God, go to "purpose." when you have no idea who God or Jesus or Holy Spirit is, go to .. well you know what i mean. HIGHLY recommend that you do this with someone else or a group. it's kinda sad, but you might not last on your own (i should know!). that's what our christian bros and sistahs are for! =DD don't need to do it as a devotion, but just make sure you at least read it ^^. it's awesome!
Certainty of death...
Small chance of success...
What are we waiting for!
-Gimli, Return of the King

==

A Typical Episode of Inuyasha:
Inuyasha: Kagome!
Kagome: Inuyasha!
==

And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You,
Once again I pour out my life
-Matt Redman
==

jeezus_fureek wrote:FIRE HEARTS! NOT GUNS!

==

jeezus_fureek

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:17 pm

Huh. I guess I'm the only one who found it a little, I dunno, odd. It took a very one-sided view on certain topics, that quite frankly divide believers. It's worth the read, definately, but please don't let it become a "bible study" for you. Warren has some interesting thoughts - but I certanly hope he'd allow people to disagree with some of the things he says.

Mod note: Don't let this denegrate into petty squabbles, please.
Mithrandir

Postby Gypsy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:52 pm

I've been planning on studying this book for a while now, and I'm very much looking forward to reading it.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Chaps » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:05 pm

Believe it or not, I go to Saddleback Church, where Rick Warren's our senior pastor (obviously we're pretty proud of that)...so we know all about his crazy campaigns and whatnot.
I really enjoyed Purpose Driven book..
Image Image Image
Chaps

Postby Arbre » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:17 pm

Thank you everyone for your opinions about this book. :)
oldphilosopher wrote:Huh. I guess I'm the only one who found it a little, I dunno, odd.

I was uncomfortable with the seriousness that the book seemed to take itself... Making a covenant to stick with the book seemed a bit strange to me. Also, the paraphrased Bible verses are very different than what I'm used to.

I'm only around chapter 10 or so because I don't read it every day. I read a couple chapters when I feel like it. That works for me.

Some of the points made are good, and I've thought about some aspects of my life that I need to change.

It's ok so far. :)
Arbre

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:05 pm

My church decided to implement the boo which resulted in several families leaving (one being my best friends). They said some bad things bout it and towards our pastor who (along with the congregation) decided to use this as a tool in the church.

I don't have anything against it however I have yet to read it. My parents did a bible study on it for a year in there Small Group and they had no complaints so it's ok with me (i consider my parents the two smarttest people in the world :lol: )
Hitokiri

Return to Book Corner