What do ya know about C.S. Lewis?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

What do ya know about C.S. Lewis?

Postby LostChild » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:41 pm

Well, he wrote the Cronicles of Narnia, that is probably obvious. But did u know that he was an athiest until he met J.R.R. Tolkien? :thumb: Then he started to write lots of Christain books. I thought was interesting. What do ya'll know? I wanna learn more! :dance:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:37 pm

i heard that cs lewis went on a mission to discredit christianity, but ended up believing

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby LostChild » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:51 pm

o, ok. as long as he did end up believing, its groovie with me! ^_^ thanx! :thumb:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby soul alive » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:32 pm

i believe that Lewis wrote about his conversion to Christianity in the book Surprised by Joy. if you want to check that out.

previous to being a Christian, Lewis didn't do much writing, mostly poetry and maybe one or two books. after he was saved he wrote well over 32 books as well as many short letters/speeches/essays. his books were on apologetics (explaining Christianity and its elements [Mere Christianity, The Abolition of Man, Miracles, The Four Loves, and many more), fiction (Chronicles of Narnia, Out of the Silent Planet trilogy, Screwtape Letters, and quite a few more), as well as a few autobiographical works (A Grief Observed, Surprised by Joy).
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby perelandra » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:00 pm

not to mention some extremely incisive litererary criticism, most notably on Milton
perelandra

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:55 pm

Hey, Perelandra, maybe you visit the Users Forum at the Wardrobe, a great CS Lewis website. We're currently busy with a chapter by chapter study of Lewis' book "Perelandra". Just a suggestion. :-D

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/
bigsleepj

Postby LostChild » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:20 pm

coolness! :thumb: i'll check it out when i get the chance. rite now i have tons of homework though. :bang: but i know just what to do with it :evil: *grabs torch* ttyl guys! heeheheheeh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby SorasOathkeeper » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:27 pm

Rofl!!!
SorasOathkeeper

Postby perelandra » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:21 pm

many thanks, big sleep
perelandra

Postby jeezus_fureek » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:58 am

yeah, one of my faves! he actually dedicated one of his books to tolkien. they were a dynamic duo weren't they? =DD
Certainty of death...
Small chance of success...
What are we waiting for!
-Gimli, Return of the King

==

A Typical Episode of Inuyasha:
Inuyasha: Kagome!
Kagome: Inuyasha!
==

And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You,
Once again I pour out my life
-Matt Redman
==

jeezus_fureek wrote:FIRE HEARTS! NOT GUNS!

==

jeezus_fureek

Postby LostChild » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:09 am

that's news to me! which book pray tell might that be? :sweat: a lot of ppl have been asking me to recomend CSLewis/ JRRTolkien books to them as of late. this one would be pretty good for most of them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Postby holysoldier5000 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:16 am

Try the Pilgram’s Regress by C.S. Lewis. It is the first book written by C.S. Lewis after his conversion and it is, in a sense, a record of Lewis’s own search for the meaning and spiritual satisfaction that eventually led him to Christianity.
It is the story of John and his odyssey to an enchanted island which has created in him an intense longing – a mysterious, sweet desire. John’s pursuit of this desire takes him through adventures with such people as Mr. Enlightenment, Media Halfways, Mr. Mammon, Mother Kirk, Mr. Sensible, and Mr. Humanist and through such cities as Thrill and Eschroplois, as well as the Valley of Humiliation.
Though the dragons and giants are different from those in Bunyan’s Pilgram’s Progress, Lewis’s allegory performs the same function of enabling the author to say with fantasy and simplicity what would otherwise have demanded a full-length philosophy of religion. In Lewis’s skillful hands this fable becomes as effective a Christian apologia as Bunyan’s.
holysoldier5000

Postby LostChild » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:52 pm

holysoldier5000 wrote:Try the Pilgram’s Regress by C.S. Lewis. It is the first book written by C.S. Lewis after his conversion and it is, in a sense, a record of Lewis’s own search for the meaning and spiritual satisfaction that eventually led him to Christianity.
It is the story of John and his odyssey to an enchanted island which has created in him an intense longing – a mysterious, sweet desire. John’s pursuit of this desire takes him through adventures with such people as Mr. Enlightenment, Media Halfways, Mr. Mammon, Mother Kirk, Mr. Sensible, and Mr. Humanist and through such cities as Thrill and Eschroplois, as well as the Valley of Humiliation.
Though the dragons and giants are different from those in Bunyan’s Pilgram’s Progress, Lewis’s allegory performs the same function of enabling the author to say with fantasy and simplicity what would otherwise have demanded a full-length philosophy of religion. In Lewis’s skillful hands this fable becomes as effective a Christian apologia as Bunyan’s.

that one sounds cool! i'll add it to my list. *gets list, and writes down* although, i think it'll take me a while, school books always pop in between my list of "to-do" :sniffle: but i know i'll get to it sooner or later. :sweat: :thumb:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LostChild

Return to Book Corner