Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Theories and Predictions

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:46 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Oh! Ditto on that score!

I know a lot of people who really hated the third movie. Said it wasn't true enough to the book, but I walked away from the movie very pleased.

*Can't wait for the Goblet of Fire movie!!*

Lol, yep! But I wonder how they're going to be able to fit all (or most)of the story into the movie.
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Arnobius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Indigo_Eyes wrote:Lol, yep! But I wonder how they're going to be able to fit all (or most)of the story into the movie.

Unfortunately, they'll have to chop it and with that book (my favorite of the series) it's a pity because the details made it the best.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:10 pm

Yeah they're really going to have to start axing them from this point forward. There's just too much information to fit into a movie of a reasonable length. . . (But it had better be three hours.)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Yeah they're really going to have to start axing them from this point forward. There's just too much information to fit into a movie of a reasonable length. . . (But it had better be three hours.)

Though I bet they won't do it, it would be nice if they followed the lead of LOTR and make an extended version...
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:35 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Though I bet they won't do it, it would be nice if they followed the lead of LOTR and make an extended version...

Oo, that would be nice. There's only a miniscule chance of it happening, but, heck, they seem to enjoy commercializing the heck out of HP in every other instance. Why not this? Tack on an extra thirty minutes and charge HP junkies 10 dollars more for it. Looks like a win-win situation to me!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:43 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Oo, that would be nice. There's only a miniscule chance of it happening, but, heck, they seem to enjoy commercializing the heck out of HP in every other instance. Why not this? Tack on an extra thirty minutes and charge HP junkies 10 dollars more for it. Looks like a win-win situation to me!

I'd pay the extra cash too. But if they're already filming it, it's too late sad to say.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:But if they're already filming it, it's too late sad to say.

Nnot necessarily. It might be they'll cut a lot out of the footage they took out of the theatrical release for the sake of time. They might be able to give us some of that back with an extended edition, like LoTR.

*Is so sad that the original cast won't be around to do OoTP*

Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:08 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Nnot necessarily. It might be they'll cut a lot out of the footage they took out of the theatrical release for the sake of time. They might be able to give us some of that back with an extended edition, like LoTR.

*Is so sad that the original cast won't be around to do OoTP*

On the other hand, nobody wants to see a Harry Potter who needs to shave.

And as for LOTR's extended version, I understand they planned from the beginning to have the extended DVDs and shot that footage as part of the filming. If The HP people don't plan on it, they might make use of deleted scenes but would probably be different.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:18 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:On the other hand, nobody wants to see a Harry Potter who needs to shave.

You got a point there. But, then again, who wants Harry getting younger between movies, either. . .

And as for LOTR's extended version, I understand they planned from the beginning to have the extended DVDs and shot that footage as part of the filming. If The HP people don't plan on it, they might make use of deleted scenes but would probably be different.

I guess you're right on that score. What a shame. Oh well, we can always dream about OotP. . .

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:29 am

*Sigh* I wish they would use the original cast too; it doesn't feel the same when the cast changes. Yeah, they're aging too fast for it to look accurate, but still... I guess there's nothing to be done about it.
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Rachel » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:35 am

Holy crap y'all! They're getting different actors?! That really sucks! I hope they at least keep they guys who played Ron, Harry, and Snape.

A few days ago I checked out OoTP from the library so I can re-read it (again).
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:38 am

Rachel wrote:Holy crap y'all! They're getting different actors?! That really sucks! I hope they at least keep they guys who played Ron, Harry, and Snape.

Yeah, it's lame, I know. It's almost certain that Emma Watson (Hermione) and Daniel Radcliff (Harry) will not be returning for OotP. I've heard rumors that Rupert Grint (Ron-- if that's his last name. I not really sure about it at this moment) would like to return, but he's really getting too old to be playing a character who's only suppose to be 14 or 15. *Sigh* Such a shame.

Mangafanatic

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Yeah, it's lame, I know. It's almost certain that Emma Watson (Hermione) and Daniel Radcliff (Harry) will not be returning for OotP. I've heard rumors that Rupert Grint (Ron-- if that's his last name. I not really sure about it at this moment) would like to return, but he's really getting too old to be playing a character who's only suppose to be 14 or 15. *Sigh* Such a shame.

Do you know how old they are right now?
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Scribs » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:41 pm

I am not too disapointed, we all knew that it was coming. if they had kept the same actors by the time we got to movie 7 it would probably have to be renamed "Harry Potbelly and the Midlife Crisis"

If they keep the adult actors and do a good job with the plot, I will be happy.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:44 am

Indigo_Eyes wrote:Do you know how old they are right now?

Daniel's almost 16, Rupert's 16, Emma's 15.

They're not that old. Honestly, if all the books were already released and screen plays could be written on them NOW, I'd say-- sheesh, just keep the same kids. Disney's had 20 year olds play 15 year olds. It's not that big of a deal.

The problem is that the books aren't released yet. It might be quite a while before they can even start the planning for the films. And these kids ain't getting any younger. . .

(But I still wish they'd keep the old kids. I don't care how old they are. I love them.)

Mangafanatic

Postby Cedahlia » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Rupert did such a good job as Ron!! I really can't imagine watching one of the movies without the same actors. It'd be like a different voice actor replacing an old one in the middle of a series.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Arnobius » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:13 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Daniel's almost 16, Rupert's 16, Emma's 15.

They're not that old. Honestly, if all the books were already released and screen plays could be written on them NOW, I'd say-- sheesh, just keep the same kids. Disney's had 20 year olds play 15 year olds. It's not that big of a deal.

The problem is that the books aren't released yet. It might be quite a while before they can even start the planning for the films. And these kids ain't getting any younger. . .

(But I still wish they'd keep the old kids. I don't care how old they are. I love them.)

Well eventually it gets noticeable. Many of the movies the actors look too old. Even in West Side Story, the actors all look to be in their 30's...
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:30 am

I guess the only upside for choosing new actors is that they won't have to take any gambles like they did with the first group of kids. When you cast children, you never know how they're going to grown up, and if they'll look like they should to fit their character in a few years (Take Neville for example-- he's starting to look very. . . un-Neville.) With these kids, they'll be done with a lot of their growing. Atleast the person who will play Hermione will probably be her adult size. No guess work there.

Also, it's going to be easier finding geniunely good actors and actresses now that they're looking for an older group of people. I just hope they take advantage of this opportunity and cast some true talent.

For me, the actor/actress I'll miss most is probably Emma (Hermione). From the very first movie, I thought she played an incredible Hermione.

Mangafanatic

Postby Scribs » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:26 pm

I completely agree about neville, that guy could be replaced any time now in my opinion. As for Hermione, I really wont be too upset to see her go, the old one did a good job, but I will be content with any competant replacement.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:15 am

As long as every replacement is quality, I guess I'll be alright.

Coincidentally, I wonder if they'll use the actress for Parvati that we see breifly in PoA for the Yule ball in GoF.

Mangafanatic

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 02, 2005 11:15 am

I think this deserves a bump:

On the seventh of this month, ABC should be airing CoS. During the showing, a GoF trailer will be aired. Everyone watch so we may all discuss.

Mangafanatic

Postby Scribs » Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 pm

W00t! Its about time they give us a trailer, though of course I am not looking forward to the movie as much as the book. Still, a fresh dose of Potter could do me good.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Rachel » Mon May 02, 2005 5:47 pm

Coolio. I'll need something to do to relax after taking the SAT. This'll be good.

I'm still kind of upset that they're getting new actors. Emma played Hermione like no other and Rupert was just so cute. Ah well, I guess I'll have to get used to the idea sometime.

Rachel

Postby VioletEyedCat » Mon May 02, 2005 7:34 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:I think this deserves a bump:

On the seventh of this month, ABC should be airing CoS. During the showing, a GoF trailer will be aired. Everyone watch so we may all discuss.

Augh!!! Evil!!! My Junior/Senior Banquet is that night!! That truly saddens me. I hate missing stuff.

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 02, 2005 7:58 pm

VioletEyedCat wrote:Augh!!! Evil!!! My Junior/Senior Banquet is that night!! That truly saddens me. I hate missing stuff.

Tape it! For the love of Harry, tape it!! ;)

I would also like to commemorate the momentous 200 post mile stone for this thread. Well done, ye good and faithful posters!

A little information on the trailer: The trailer will be one minute and fifteen seconds. I also think they'll be doing a few short interviews about the film during the CoS which will be hosted by the Golden Trio. The first theatre trailer will be short with the movie "Kicking and Screaming" which premiers on May 14. I'm not sure if that's the same trailer or a longer one. Either way, sources say that whatever trailer appears with "Kicking and Screaming", it will probably be released to the internet that day as well. Woo hoo!

Mangafanatic

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon May 09, 2005 6:44 am

W00T! Here's the link to the high res. trailer: http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/harry_potter_goblet/hp_gobletoffire_m480.mov .

Let us discuss! Woo-hoo (BTW, if you didn't get to watch the interviews about GoF while they aired with CoS, you can see them on http://www.mugglenet.com . Just scroll down the front page a little. I think they're three or four items from the top. [Addtiontionally, you can find lower resolution trailers if your internet bucks against the big one] )

[Edit: Scratch that. Instead, watch the trailer and then go here to discuss.

Mangafanatic

Postby Scribs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:48 pm

Ok, I am starting to get excited about the new book, just a little over a month left...

I have to order my copy soon, so any new ideas about his book befor it actually comes out? Once it does, this thread will be truely dead because it will be impossible to theorise about what we already know.

Of cource we could just convert it into a discussion of the book itself...

Oh, I love this thread!
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:58 pm

piloswine wrote:Ok, I am starting to get excited about the new book, just a little over a month left...

I have to order my copy soon, so any new ideas about his book befor it actually comes out? Once it does, this thread will be truely dead because it will be impossible to theorise about what we already know.

Of cource we could just convert it into a discussion of the book itself...

Oh, I love this thread!

Perhaps we can turn it into a Spoilers thread like we had with Star Wars...
I like this thread too...
Arnobius

Postby Rachel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:35 pm

Yes...this thread makes me happy.

Gah! I'd better start saving up money so that I can pre-buy it or something.

Rachel

Postby Arnobius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:42 pm

Heh-- I preordered back in March :P
Arnobius

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner